Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fj cruiser has been having shifting issues. When i put my foot down, instead of engine reeving and shifting in the high band. It holds the shift and only revs to about 4900-5100 and doesnt go more than that. I have been able to redline it to throw shifts high up to gain power but now it doesnt allow it. To allow it to shift, i must take my foot off the gas for 1-3 seconds and then press it down and then ill shift. I suspect its computer related since once it did this and it fixed itself. Now i cant seem to fix it. I have checked throttle and everything and everything is normal. Engine feels as if it had a governor and im only getting about 80-100hp when i used to get anywhere from 150-190hp (output of my ultragauge ecu reader). Any advice?

Ps. Also it does the same in semi-automatic

Things ive done: checked transmission fluid level. Checked maf sensor (cleaned it) cleaned air filter (kn) and checked intake snorkel and tubing to throttle body.

·
Registered
613 Posts
sounds like it's in limp mode

any codes?

try unplugging the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes to reset everything...

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
I'm with hiflyerx on this.....sounds like you are in limp mode. I would go and have the Fj scanned for codes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the ultragauge and i dont have any codes. Ive disconnected positive battery for a few hours. But ill research into it. Any more advice are greatly appreciated!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking about it. I have a tmps light on (tire pressure light) that flashes upon startup a couple of times (signalling and error) i suspect that its a damaged tmps sensor in one of the tyres. Could that be it.? It had been flashing way before the fj cruiser started showing these symptoms.

Also, i can accelerate to about 80-90mph (it takes forever compared to before) and i read that limp mode only allows till 60-80kmh. Anyone want to clear me if im wrong in anything?

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
When mine went into limp mode I was lucky if I could hit 30mph. I'm not 100% positive, but it seems like I remember someone saying that there are some Toyota codes that can't be read by some tools and the gauges like the Scangauge or Ultra gauge.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
You need to find and fix the problem is about all I can suggest. Getting the codes is a start. If it's going into limp mode there is something wrong that needs taken care of. It goes into limp mode to protect itself from further damage and to let you get the vehicle off the road or to a shop. In my case it went into limp mode at certain times/conditions and then at others was fine. I had to wait a bit to make it to my dealer who is 180 miles away. In my case I had some injectors that failed and they caused a problem with a couple of sensors and I lost the drivers side exhaust manifold/catalytic converter by the time I got it checked and fixed to the tune of $2500.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn.... I sure hope they fix it under warranty... Idk if its truly limp mode side it runs into 60-70mph. Its just that the engine wont rev past 4500-5000 and its only producing about 80hp. Ill keep looking. Its also weird since there are NO lights at all (except for the tpms that flashes for about a minute, but thats been there long before). Idk, still not fully convinced its limp mode. But ill have it look into as a possibility. But i cant be the only one to have experienced this so if anyone else, please share any info.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
If it's limp mode you'll definitely know. I was about 15 miles from home when mine did it and it took me over an hour to make it there. I could hardly reach 30mph and there is one small hill about 1/2 mile long that I didn't think I would make it to the top of. I could only drive about 10mph and had no power to speak of when climbing it. I don't know what lights it would have shown for sure as I had a bunch of lights already from a bad evap canister that I hadn't replaced.

I got home and tried to research what causes limp mode and wasn't finding much. The next day I started it and it started right up and ran fine. I did some errands and it was okay. A couple of days later I was in town and it went to limp mode again. I shut it down and restarted it and it was fine again. What we basically figured out was that the injectors had failed and extra fuel was getting into the catalytic converter and when I was driving up to speed on the highway it was getting enough air flow to stay cool. When I was driving in town it was heating up and throwing the code and going to limp mode. By the time I got it in to get checked and fixed the converter had burned out/melted or whatever. I had 3 injectors, the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter which is the primary one, and 2 sensors replaced. This was the first time I had ever seen or been around a vehicle that went to limp mode like that. None of my other vehicles had that feature.

Hopefully one of the Techs will chime in and might know more of what to look for to help you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh damn. That really really sucks. Then it cant be limp mode. Its not that seriouse. I mean. I feel like i cant accelarate and the engine feels as if it was going into a limit mode around those revs. Also i cant go past ~80 cuz the engine wont rev and produce the horsepower to go past that (i checked with ultragauge) ill go into other gears and drive fine cruising and will keep the engine in normal revs in drive while cruising. It just seems as if the computee forgot how to shift up when in high gears and the engine wont rev up. Its the weirdest thing ever. Ive never encountered anyone with this. I heard of a guy thay had it and he never looked into it. He just lives with the problem (not my way of doing things). I mean, dont get me wrong . Im not looking to race. It's just thats bugging me that it drives like that and its not at peak performance.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
It might be the engine hitting the rev limiter at those high rpms. Not sure what would cause it to what it's doing though.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Take it in to the dealer before you put more miles on it / do more damage. You should have 25,000 mile warranty?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 100k mile warranty. But after fixing maf, airfilter, oil change, throttle cleaning, cleaning valves, and adding quality fuel its better. (apparently the place i fuel up always had a bad batch, happens when it isnt brand fuel and has ethanol (newer fj cruisers can handle 10% ethanol before you scream)) hahaha thanks thou! Im adding a unichip because i think its really just tuning right now.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
maybe your cat is clogged up so the engine is not breathing freely.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's was I was thinking. But on a 20k mile vehicle it was unlikely. I ran a bottle of bg44k (left it in the gas tank a few hours without turning engine on) and when i came back it was better than before. Which then leads me to believe that the fuel filter was clogged. Searched a bit and they say they mightget clogged around 30k so no surprise there. Now im in the works of adding the URD remote fuel filter kit with a 320lph pump (since im there might aswell add a better pump). Ill be back when I install and see what happens!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
That's was I was thinking. But on a 20k mile vehicle it was unlikely. I ran a bottle of bg44k (left it in the gas tank a few hours without turning engine on) and when i came back it was better than before. Which then leads me to believe that the fuel filter was clogged. Searched a bit and they say they mightget clogged around 30k so no surprise there. Now im in the works of adding the URD remote fuel filter kit with a 320lph pump (since im there might aswell add a better pump). Ill be back when I install and see what happens!

fuel filter clogging at 30k? what kind of gas station have you been to?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts