Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I own a '11 Black FJC and in the upcoming week or so, I want to buy the Expedition-One Front WyoOtto Front Bumper and a Expedition - One rear bumper. Before I make the purchase, I have a few questions to Expedition-One owners...

1) Should I buy the bumpers already Powdercoated or have my local Line-X or Rhino Liner company spray them. (I dont want these things to rust for as expensive they are).

2) For Line-X/Rhino Liner users, how difficult is it to maintain them? How much should I expect to shell for the coating?

and

FINALLY!

3) What is a fair price to pay for the WyoOtto bumper? (Please recommend sites to purchase it from).

Thanks
-Eric

·
fka GW193
1,390 Posts
$2500 for both powder-coated, PIAA's in the front, Optplex in the rear, I have both, I ordered them from EXP1, ask for a forum discount or free shipping, it works out about the same. The powdercoating was excellent quality and they are very well packaged from shipping. EXP1 are great folks to deal with, and will treat you fairly. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Just call Sarah at Exp-1. Seems like shipping to AZ would be cheaper than to VA so maybe opt for the forum discount???

as far as coating goes....
I can't help much the harsh salty Utah winters rape everything steel every winter. I'll be pulling it all off and getting it sandblasted and then I'm debating powdercoating it again or rattle canning it again. (I've heard line-x scrapes off pretty easily if you use it (so does paint and everything else but it's the most expensive).

FWIW I did not buy it powdercoated from EX-1. A buddy did mine but did he know what the hell he was doing? I have my doubts.

I am thinking sand blasting is the key to good adhesion. Do I know what the hell I'm talking about? Probably not.

I've also heard if the coater bakes it too hot it gets brittle and weak. Again, what do I know?

The rattle can works well because I touch up when I burn something on a rock.
Maybe I'll rattle can the whole truck lol!

I'm not sure if I'll re-coat or just paint it. I did paint the inside with wheel-well coating. It seems to be the ticket for the inside.

Another thing to think about when you get it: There are pockets that will fill up with mud (you'll see when you get it) Take a drill and put a small hole at the very bottom of each one, this seems to keep it drained pretty well. (they may have updated the design since 2008 when I bought it).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone thus far. BTW, I live in Western Pennsylvania and the salt/chemicals they put on the road is horrible!! I really have no intent of going extreme off-road/rock climbing with my FJ (especially with 2,300 miles with 20" Rims). I DO want the off road lighting, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speed BUMP

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Kurt w/ Expeditioneers X2!!:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts