Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never organized anything in my life but I would sure love to see an annual get together of FJ’s in the OBX making the run up to Carova for a day of hanging out on the beach with like minded Toyota enthusiasts.

I am thinking something on the shoulder seasons to make it easier to park together one big ole line of FJ’s.

I get tired of seeing the parade of Jeeps.

Lets see if there is enough interest here to make something happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Great idea! If it weren’t such a drive, I’d be all over this. Maybe I’ll get lucky and the dates will line up.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Well I am going to be watching this for sure. We have been making it a habit to go down the first or second week after Labor day anyway. A lot of the crowds are gone, prices on houses are down, water is still warm, and most places are still open.

I'm afraid prime season is going to run to October before long. I'll keep a eye on this thread and see who else might jump in. It would be nice if I didn't stick out like a big R.Red thumb on the beach among all those Heeps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welll.....Since posting this idea it appears I am sadly selling my FJ. Still can’t believe I am letting it go but it seems the time is right. Not sure what’s next maybe Tundra maybe Raptor.

Anyway, I am happy to help organize something as I would love to see a group of FJ’s headed up the beach and hanging out.

Looks like we have a possible group of 5 so far.

Someone suggested after Labor Day. It is a great time to do something as the rental costs drop significantly, the water and air are still warm and the restaurants and shops are still open. The only downside is hurricane season which is generally not an issue.

So lets keep this thread active for a while and see who else is interested. If you have any questions, throw them out there and I will do my best to answer or other’s who know the area will be sure to jump in.

I threw in one of my favorite pics of the wild horses. It is truly a special and beautiful area.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
That is a awesome picture. Is that almost up by the VA border? Pretty sure I remember driving by that house.

Going to start looking at house's for Sept. If we get something set before anybody else throws a date out there, I'll post it up and see were it goes.

Sorry to here the FJ is leaving.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The FJ Bruisers group used to (and may still) do an OBX run annually. I went a few years back and there were about 30 rigs. It seemed very popular. May reach out to them (those interested) so to not be reinventing the wheel

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that house is pretty close to the state line. It doesn’t really fit architecturally with most of the houses in that area. But driving buy and seeing the horses at play in front of a house was a very fortunate shot.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Trying to nail down a house in Carova for this year and thought I might try to get a a little more information from those that live there or visit the 4x4 areas also. Not trying to get off topic, thought maybe it might help out if someone is thinking of a FJ get together and hasn't posted up or they have never been there and have been thinking about it.

We have been staying ocean side or ocean front and have been loving it, many advantages to being ocean front. This year though we have been throwing around the idea of a sound side or canal front house with these thoughts in mind.

1- Not a big surf fisher and thought that there might be some fun fishing in the canals? Is this true and what could be fished for?

2-Is there a big tick problem on that side of the island and is Lyme disease a big of a problem as it is in NY? It's seems that I read that a couple of the horses and tested positive for Lyme. Lets call that a question.

3- What may be more advantages or disadvantages of staying on that side?
The ocean is never that far away by foot or FJ though I did stumble upon
a horse one morning walking to the beach before sunrise. No issue, but
we 100% respect leaving them alone.

4- It looks like you may be able to have a place to sit outside by a fire at night on the soundside? Find that ocean side that we pretty well stay on the deck nights unless we walk down to the beach and if it's a new moon that can be a interesting walk.

5- Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Changes are likely coming for Carova. The county commissioners are trying to sneak through a "parking permit" without input from the public or local businesses by classifying it as a police matter so it doesn't require a public hearing.

See this from the North Carolina Beach Buggy Association:

ALERT> CALL TO ACTION>From NCBBA President Bill Smith>>
ACCESS ALERT *** RESPOND TODAY *** URGENT

****Please note Corrected Currituck Commissioner's e-mail address!

Once again, we are being threatened with access restrictions to the beaches of North Carolina.

Currituck County is planning to adopt an ordinance that will require all non-residents to purchase a permit to park on the beaches north of Corolla. The 10-day permit will cost $50.00 and an Annual Permit will cost $150.00, as it stands at this date.

There is a State Right-of-Way north of Corolla for Route 12 across the beach to the Virginia Line. Currituck County has acknowledged this in previous attempts to close the beaches to visitors.

They are now trying to restrict access by requiring a Parking Permit for those who want to stop along this State Right-of-Way. There is also the possibility that Currituck County will exempt ALL Currituck County Residents from this permit requirement, as they have in other regulations, such as 4-wheeler restrictions.

There has been little disclosure of this proposed action which could take place as early as the Board of Commissioners Meeting on February 19, 2018.
The media has been the only source of information about this action.
Under North Carolina law, a county can set their meeting schedule in January and not put it on their public calendar for the rest of the year, with the exception of special or called meetings which require public notice.
Since this proposed ordinance is classified as a “police matter” it does not require a public hearing.

Because of this, the Currituck County staff and the Commissioners are fine tuning this ordinance behind closed doors as I write this. The only input you will have is to email your concerns to:
1) the County Commissioners at: [email protected]
2) Call their office at 252-232-2075 and let your position be heard. The fax number is 252-233-3551.
3) Plan to attend the County Commissioner's Meeting on February 19, 2018. Location: 153 Courthouse Road, Currituck, North Carolina

Both State Senator Bill Cook and State Representative Bob Steinburg have provided the Commissioners with their input but neither has a say in the final outcome of this decision.

I urge you to question the right of the county to restrict access especially along a State Right-of- Way for Route 12 and their right to restrict parking on state property.

You do not have to be a resident of Currituck or North Carolina to address this issue!

You may address it as a visitor and how it may affect your future visits and expenditures for goods and services in Currituck County. Remember to point out that this area’s economy is based on tourism.

Please get involved! Send your comments by email today to the addresses listed above!

Thank you!
Bill Smith, NCBBA President

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trying to nail down a house in Carova for this year and thought I might try to get a a little more information from those that live there or visit the 4x4 areas also. Not trying to get off topic, thought maybe it might help out if someone is thinking of a FJ get together and hasn't posted up or they have never been there and have been thinking about it.

We have been staying ocean side or ocean front and have been loving it, many advantages to being ocean front. This year though we have been throwing around the idea of a sound side or canal front house with these thoughts in mind.

1- Not a big surf fisher and thought that there might be some fun fishing in the canals? Is this true and what could be fished for?

2-Is there a big tick problem on that side of the island and is Lyme disease a big of a problem as it is in NY? It's seems that I read that a couple of the horses and tested positive for Lyme. Lets call that a question.

3- What may be more advantages or disadvantages of staying on that side?

The ocean is never that far away by foot or FJ though I did stumble upon

a horse one morning walking to the beach before sunrise. No issue, but

we 100% respect leaving them alone.

4- It looks like you may be able to have a place to sit outside by a fire at night on the soundside? Find that ocean side that we pretty well stay on the deck nights unless we walk down to the beach and if it's a new moon that can be a interesting walk.

5- Any other thoughts?

Not Sure I can help with all your questions so hopefully someone else will.

There is definitely some fishing that happens in the sound but I have never seen anyone fishing in the canals.....but I also don’t spend a lot of time in that area as there isn’t a lot of reason for me to other than a random drive to spot horses.

You could definitely sit outside by a fire but it will be somewhat house specific as to whether or not there are provisions to do so and if the owners permit it. There are some great people who live in the Carova area full time that are also pretty hospitable but you do have to seek them out at times to get the scoop on such things.

Ticks are definitely an issue and the locals believe they will be especially bad this year. I was picking them off my dogs last week. Lyme disease however is not a significant issue compared to NY.

I would always choose ocean front over the canals unless you are bringing a boat / wave runner to access the sound. There are a fair amount of snakes in the canals as well, some dangerous. If you dropped back down to Corollla, you could rent a sound front home with a pier out into the water and probably a pool that you could crab, kayak, paddle board, fish from and still be just a few miles from the 4x4 area as well as the restaurants and beaches in Corolla.

Feel free to PM if I can answer anything more specific.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
So, not seeing a lot of interest here, but going to be in Corova Sept 8th to the 15th. If anybody else is going to be around, might be able to get together and STS, harass a couple of Heeps etc..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be there that week as well but driving a Tundra now. Would love to see a gathering come together. It is a great time to be there.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
No matter what it would be cool to meet up. Driving the FJ down. The FJ loves it there and one year the water was so deep at some of the ramps I was glad I didn't have to worry about water in the nice comfy interior of the wifes Tundra.

Speaking of which, nothing wrong with a Tundra. Wife just traded in her '11 for a '18 crewmax, holy Christ you can get lost inside that thing!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I know this is a slightly older thread, but I figured I would chime in. Our group NCFJCruisers www.ncfjcruisers.com used to make group runs to the OBX once a year. The group has been quiet in recent years, but we have had alot of renewed interest and new folks joining the group, so we are in the process of rejuvenating the group into what it used to be. We are also organizing leadership roles to respective geographic regions across the state (as I wanted to from the beginning, way back when I started it in 2010!). This way we can have many local meets as well as organize group wide events for all members a few times a year. An OBX weekend would be one of them. We used to love to go in the fall, after the tourists leave. So if you are interested, check out the group, we would be glad to have you join us!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts