Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, long time no-post.

I've had my beloved 2010 TT for almost a year now, and have put 25,000 miles on it since I bought it. I've done some really simple mods like putting a TRD CAI and snorkel on, a few stickers here and there (+2HP per sticker) and I've been meticulous with oil changes and maintenance.

I think I'm finally ready to ditch the ugly stock front bumper and get something more aggressive. I've been searching high and low for a DIY weld it yourself bumper kit for an FJ... But can't seem to find any. I'm a machinist, and have a few years of MIG welding experience under my belt so making one myself and saving a few hundred dollars in the process make a lot of sense to me. Are there any commercially available weld-it-yourself DIY kits still available? Or should I just order a bunch of steel and get my grinder out and make up my own thing?

If there aren't any DIY options available, I'd like to know of any budget-friendly (less than $1,000) options available.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
402 Posts

I've had my beloved 2010 TT for almost a year now, and have put 25,000 miles on it since I bought it. I've done some really simple mods like putting a TRD CAI and snorkel on, a few stickers here and there (+2HP per sticker) and I've been meticulous with oil changes and maintenance.

I think I'm finally ready to ditch the ugly stock front bumper and get something more aggressive. I've been searching high and low for a DIY weld it yourself bumper kit for an FJ... But can't seem to find any. I'm a machinist, and have a few years of MIG welding experience under my belt so making one myself and saving a few hundred dollars in the process make a lot of sense to me. Are there any commercially available weld-it-yourself DIY kits still available? Or should I just order a bunch of steel and get my grinder out and make up my own thing?

If there aren't any DIY options available, I'd like to know of any budget-friendly (less than $1,000) options available.

Thanks guys!

I don't have an answer for you that I'd recommended other than spending more money ;)

But, do consider how any bumper mod can affect your front air bag functioning properly.

Have fun with the project and post pics as you build it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: amaclach

·
Desert Moderator
7,155 Posts

Thanks guys!
Only thing I've seen is a "hidden" winch mount similar to the US Offroad design... http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/160617-open-source-hidden-winch-bracket.html
It's not a full bumper, rather replaces the steel beam bumper behind the plastic cover and replaces the lower center section of the plastic cover.

Of course - bumper design all depends on what you want it for....
Aftermarket bumpers/bullbars are primarily for mounting winches and protecting the radiator/engine/windscreen from animal strikes.
Any of the Australian bumpers (ARB, TJM, Ironman) will do that for you, and not affect your airbags.

If you're after a "look" then there's plenty of options on the market.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,103 Posts
If I recall it seemed like one of the bumper manufacturers would sell you the bumper in pieces and you could weld it yourself... cannot remember which one though...

Maybe it was All-Pro or Trail Gear?? I don't know... maybe it was one of the manufacturers that isn't around any more.

If you find a bumper design you like in the following bumper Comparison thread it wouldn't hurt to contact them and see if you can do the welding yourself!

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/161181-new-complete-front-bumper-listing-comparison-thread.html

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
I'm a machinist, and have a few years of MIG welding experience under my belt so making one myself and saving a few hundred dollars in the process make a lot of sense to me.
I'm a software engineer and took an operating systems class in college, so I should save the $100 on a copy of MS Windows and write my own operating system :)

Just kidding. As a machinist, what do you charge an hour for work? The cost of the hours you'll spend on this bumper will greatly outweigh any savings from just buying a finished bumper. Nevermind the discount the bumper guys get on powdercoating in bulk that you won't get. And at best, your end result looks AS good as what is already out there, not better. So my advice would be to pick the bumper you like the best, buy it, then pay for it with extra machinist work that you specialize in.

If you want to make a pair of rock sliders for your truck or armor for your rear lower control arm mounts, those are good places for you to experiment without much time wasted or visibility of your finished product (plus, they're wear parts meant to be scraped up). But a bumper is front and center on your truck for everybody to see.

If you find a bumper design you like in the following bumper Comparison thread it wouldn't hurt to contact them and see if you can do the welding yourself!

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/161181-new-complete-front-bumper-listing-comparison-thread.html
^^^ +1000. Depending on where you live, if you're within driving distance of one of the bumper manufacturers and you like what their bumpers look like, you can go this route. Most of them probably won't ship the bumper in parts and/or give you their instructions on how to put it together, since giving you their raw metal and assembly instructions would allow you to more easily copy their product. But if you can find a local shop and they're cool about it, you might be able to save a few bucks this way.

Either way, good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts