Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that all you dog owners would agree that the dog barriers out there are pretty crappy. I was messing around with the welder yesterday and mocked up a frame and mounts for what I feel would be a awesome dog/cargo barrier.

The inspiration

The concept is pretty rough looking but it was really the mounting system and installation that I was testing. It would be made out of aluminum and would have metal gridwork with two vertical bars that could occupy quickfists to hold axes, shovels etc. We should even be able to preserve the coat hooks (a feature that my wife said was paramount:confused:). It will be compatible with car seats and should make the vehicle safer because it will deflect any flying debris in the event of a rollover.

I can install the whole unit in less than 3 minutes, the mounting is rock solid and I will be meeting with my engineers in Thursday afternoon to discuss the viability of production and cost.

I don't anticipate that we will be able to compete with the price of the universal junk out there but instead will give you the option of buying a quality, solid mounting, functional barrier designed specifically for the FJCruiser. I am not even going to guess at a cost right now other than I am aiming at less than $200.

Of course, it will have Springtails quality fit and finish! Made in the USA.

Remember this is just a rough prototype to give you an idea.

I want to hear your thoughts.

Doc

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Hey not bad. That looks solid. I like the way you anchored to the headrest. I use a barrier that I connect to the front seats by the headrest. It's one that is sold for a Four Runner I believe. I think you are heading in the right direction but I have a question for you. will your mounts work if you attach it just behind the front seats? I like to run with my back seats folded down. I've got two dogs and gear and It just works better that way. Anyhow, good start.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Looks like it may be a great option. I have a barrier net on its way from offroadconcepts.net right now that I'm going to use for summit. Looking forward to see what you guys come up with!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks interesting. Would you be able to do one, that covers from the headliner, to the floor? We drive, with our back seat down, most of the time.

Is that a schock collar on your pup? We have one for our SAR dog, they work pretty well.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I like it. I want something like that to prevent all my stuff in the back from coming into the passenger compartment in case of an accident. this is exactly what I want because it goes from the headrests to the ceiling as apposed to the floor.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Looks great - I need this with 3 dogs - only 2 go on adventures - :cheers:

:bigthumb:

-

-

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think that we will make one that goes to the floor...it would be pretty big to ship and would defeat the purpose of mounting to the headrest posts.

Cool idea though!

Logan the dog has a underground fence that spans about 8 acres, his job is to ward off all the bad guys, although so far all he has caught is 2 cats, a skunk and a snapping turtle. "Fezz" our resident **** pheasant (Logans arch nemisis) knows where the line is and taunts the dogs every day.

Doc

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I meant I like the fact that it goes from the headrests to the ceiling. I dont like the ones that go from the floor to the ceiling. :)

your design= much better :)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Very similar to what I was thinking. Keep us posted on how it turns out. There is a big need for a good divider for the FJ.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The deign looks great, can't wait to see the finished product!!!:rocker::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
How strong are the posts in the head rests? Are you going to mount mpacs to the barrier? If not, I think there should be more bracing to prevent items from coming through.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just to throw out ideas...here's a quick and dirty one I whipped up one day for a friend in our local club. We chose to use the grocery hook mounts in the cargo area and it allows the seats to be folded down as well if needed.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How strong are the posts in the head rests? Are you going to mount mpacs to the barrier? If not, I think there should be more bracing to prevent items from coming through.
There will be 2 vertical bars probably at the points where the bars are on the mock-up. These will probably be 1.5-2.0 inches wide and covered with some sort of metal cage/mesh material. It should deflect most cargo contents with in reason.
It would take minimal effort to adapt a MPAC rack to the grid but out intent is to have a little space for some quickfist mounts. Our intent would be to keep the barrier as affordable as possible and to maintain rearward vision. Mounting a MPAC Rack there would affect both of those goals.
I would suggest going with Uphills Scorpion rack for mounting some serious stuff. I bet with a little gentle prodding he would make you one.:)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rained out for our meeting...and rescheduled for tuesday. keep the comments coming. Or if you are just interested so we can gauge the viability of making this.

Doc

·
Registered
534 Posts
keep the comments coming. Or if you are just interested so we can gauge the viability of making this.

Doc

Only making this comment because you asked. I know you said it is not something you see as a future possibility.....but THIS dog does not travel comfortably stuffed behind the back seats.

This is my breed of choice. Sometime, somewhere, from someone, I plan to buy a barrier of sorts that will fit behind the driver's seat with the back seats down.

I know you said it would be a weight and shipping issue to make it to fit behind the front seats......but since it butts up to the back of front seat, isn't the general concept very close?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Awesome Doc, I have been looking for something for the pups. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Only making this comment because you asked. I know you said it is not something you see as a future possibility.....but THIS dog does not travel comfortably stuffed behind the back seats.

This is my breed of choice. Sometime, somewhere, from someone, I plan to buy a barrier of sorts that will fit behind the driver's seat with the back seats down.

I know you said it would be a weight and shipping issue to make it to fit behind the front seats......but since it butts up to the back of front seat, isn't the general concept very close?
What a face:) Dude, that is one big dog....maybe if we do the rear seat barrier, you can somehow modify on to suit your purposes. There is a lot of issues to consider. I'm not sure if the headrest posts will line up, even if they do...the passenger will be stuck in the same position as your seat. I would worry about side and curtain airbag compatibility. It may be easier to find a dog kennel or cage that might fit.

Doc

·
Registered
534 Posts
...maybe if we do the rear seat barrier, you can somehow modify on to suit your purposes.
That could be a good possibility.

It may be easier to find a dog kennel or cage that might fit.

That was my original thought since he spends hours in the vehicle in the desert, but:

1. the FJ already has really bad airflow (although caged does mean I can open all doors when parked )

2. a cage that size will have to be placed on some type of platform built to accommodate the back seats that just don't go flat.

3. we have two huge sub woofers in the very back (in a WickedCAS set up, you can see it to the right in the photo) , so I want him away from those and up behind the front seats when traveling.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts