Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I bought my FJ a week ago, i changed the engine oil and the service guys used 5W40, i wasn't really convinced that this is the best oil for the FJ.
Considering that i live in Dubai, which the temperature in summer can reach 118 - 122 degrees and in winter in the desert it can drop down to 40, so i am wondering what is the best oil to use in the hot weather, in winter i know that 5w30 is the best, and in the car manual it mentions that 5w30 is advised by toyota, But m not sure they consider the people living in UAE.
I searched as well on Mobil 1 website and it says i should use 0w20 or 0w30.
So i am kinda lost now, its a 2010 model and i really don't want my engine to get damaged because of the wrong oil choice.

Can anyone help on this matter?

Appreciate it!

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Welcome @jsofun !
I get mine serviced by the dealer - they use Lexus Synthetic oil - Not sure what the grade is.
You don't need to worry about the low temp performance (the bit before the W)- it's fine there.
Is yours GCC spec or is it a US import, but I don't think you need to worry too much about 5w40 - I think that's about perfect. maybe a 50 grade if you're running it hard in summer esp. if it's a US spec FJ (thinner radiator core) and with an Auto trans (trans cooler is in the radiator, so the radiator becomes even less efficient).

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

I'll dig my owner's manual out - there is an oil grade table for Middle East & Africa.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Given the temp spread where you live, 40F-120F, which is not too different from where I live in Florida during summer months, I would use 0-30w or 5-30w.
The 5-40w that was used on your FJ IMO is too heavy, (thick when hot) when the engine reaches operating temp. Society of Automotive Engineers (S.A.E.) who
certify all the rules ref oil performance, state that the first # (5) is the viscosity (ability of the oil to flow at a given temp) of the oil at cold start up. A "cold" start is any start that is not at full operating temp.
The 5 designates that the oil will flow at -30F and the 30W will have a specific viscosity at full operating temp which is designed by the engine manufacturer.
Bottom line, you will be fully protected using the 5W-30. This assumes you are using your FJ for "normal" type stuff. I personally use 0w-30 Mobile 1 synthetic since my FJ was new
in 2011 and with 90k on the clock it runs beautifully and I do not burn or leak 1 drop of oil. Just make sure you change your oil, IMO, at 6000 miles if you use synthetic with a new filter.
Some people on this forum go longer, but 6000 between changes is very safe. The TBN additive levels at 6k is still very adequate.
BTW, IMO the 0-20w that is in your manual was put there primarily to give the best gas mileage for these engines NOT necessarily the BEST protection. Will it damage your engine, NO.
But it is not the BEST weight for ALL applications. My FJ sees a fair amount of cold weather in Colorado too, hence the 0w-30.

The subject of oil can take weeks to fully discuss. If your interested theres tons of oil info online and in this forum. Lots of opinions too. This is just my .02......:rocker:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you @amaclach!

Mine is a GCC spec not US import, thats why i was wondering, bcz all forums i went through so far discuss the best oil for the US weather...
Looking forward for the results you can get from your owner's manual.
@Zeke, thank you for your thorough explanation, so your saying that 5W40 is not good enough at high temperature and wont lubricate the engine parts properly which might lead to damaging the engine after sometime? Yh i do change the oil after 6000 miles that is not an issue.
I am just concerned whether to use 5W30 or 5W40 the one they used already, even on my owner's manual they mention that you can use 10W30 or 15W40 if the temperature ranges from 20 degree to 100+... So this is really misleading, eventually we all want our engine to last as long as possible without any problems...

Any way thank you so much guys for your help, if you have more infos and advice please do share! :D

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
jsofun,

It is Interesting that your manual states that both 10w-30 or 15w-40 can be used in your region.
I would do as your manual suggests and go with 10-30 as your outside temps never get below 40F. I am partial to Amsoil or Mobile 1 after reviewing many test results
for the 5 tests they subject the oil too. I still feel that at operating temp for the FJ that a 30w is more than sufficient to fully protect our engine. If you go on line and
google the oil you intend on using, you will find the physical attributes, flow rates, and tests done for that particular grade oil. Look at the viscosity for your oil at high temperature and you will see it MORE than meets the demands of the FJ engine at operating temperature. Assuming you are driving the FJ within normal parameters and not abusing it. The tolerances of this motor for its lubricating demands ie, the bearings, cyl rings, etc., once they reach operating temps, need oil that will not breakdown but still must flow throughout the engine. IMO I dont think a 40w oil
is necessary and indeed may be too thick at times for the FJ (not necessarily other engines). Obviously Toyota engineers know alot more than I do about their engines, thats just my .02.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
OP - the biggest question to ask is - are you intending to thrash it in the sand in the middle of summer? If not, you're fine with the 30.
Just remember high ambient temps 50-55c in summer) coupled with high revs commonly demanded in the summer sand demands an oil with not only the right viscosity but composition so it doesn't start breaking down.
If you're only really offroading in the cooler months, don't sweat it. 5w30 should be fine for you but 5w40 shouldn't harm it either.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
(snip) The 5-40w that was used on your FJ IMO is too heavy, (thick when hot) when the engine reaches operating temp.
This is not correct.

Here is a copy of the oil recommendation page from the Owner's Manual for a 2014 FJC sold in the Gulf States. Vehicles sold in this region have exactly the same 1GR-FE engine as FJCs sold in the US, but do not have to meet the EPA's CAFE fuel economy requirements and therefore can use higher viscosity oils that are optimized for engine durability.

For temperatures from 20F to 100F+, 20W-50 is recommended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Zeke I will do that, problem here is that most of the garages don't know or probably don't care what oil they put in your car... anw i am not planning on going dune bashing with the car, the maximum will be offroading to a remote area for camping, and definitely not in summer:p
So @amaclach yh i hope 5W40 will be good, and wont be the cause of damage inside the engine.
@FJtest yes this is what i have in my owner's manual, and it says as well that 5W30 is recommended for the car, but logically 15W40 and 20W50 are the best option according to the data in the table but go figure if this is really good for the engine as 20W50 can be really viscous at starting temperature for the engine and will take more time to lubricate all the engine parts.
So i think 5W30, 5W40, 10W30, 10W40 should be fine for the FJ in UAE... as long as its not lower than W30 i think it should be fine.
You guys agree?

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Just stick with the synthetic 5W40 & you're all good. It's well within spec for what you want to do.
I think I posted that photo a while back. Saves me having to remember to do it when I get in the car next ;-)

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Just stick with the synthetic 5W40 & you're all good. It's well within spec for what you want to do.
I think I posted that photo a while back. Saves me having to remember to do it when I get in the car next ;-)
amaclach -

Yup, you originally sent me that photo a year or more ago in a PM. I've posted it several times here in various oil-related discussions.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
FJtest, jsofun and amaclach,

Oil grades, viscosity and testing are interesting but complicated topics. There is some excellent info on-line explaining engine oil viscosity and oil additive packages (TBN). Bob The Oil Guy is interesting reading as his discussion is straight forward and understandable without a PH.D. in chemistry and fluid movement; which by the way :nerd is measured in centiStokes (cS). Amsoil
has a great informative website as well.

The misunderstanding here stems from the oil chart posted by FJtest AND the info contained in the websites of Amsoil, Mobile 1, Redline and the other major brands of synthetic oils. Briefly stated, my point is that there are two important considerations in choosing the grade oil to use in our FJ's, (Besides the brand). One is the flow rate of the oil (cS) at operating temperature of the engine which is considered to be at 212F (100C) and also on the cold end 104F (40C). These are the "industry" test temperatures. Ninety percent of engine wear occurs at cold start up. Any start at temps less than full operating temp is considered a cold start. Some startups are obviously colder than others of course. Additionally,to be factored in, is the environment in which the car will be used and oil changes at regular intervals (5000-7500miles).

My point is that it is the required engine oil flow rates that should, IMHO, be utilized in deciding the grade oil to be used. My opinion is based upon "normal" usage of the engine ie. not racing applications which call for different oil additives and packages. Given that our FJ engines live between 750 RPM and typically 3500 RPM, with the occasional blip to red line 5500 RPM, the viscosity flow rate of the oil at operating temps should be about 10 cS. (Most non-racing applications are in this range. Even the 650 HP Corvette) If you look at the chart i copied from the Amsoil website I have attached, you will see the grades that are in the area of 10cS at 212F. They are grades 0w-30,5w-30 and 10w-30. With a 0w-40 or a 5w-40, you are looking at flow rates of 14.8 and higher. A 5w-40 approaches 16cS which is too thick for the needs of the FJ at operating temps.

On the cold side, you must get the flow rate as low as possible for the cold starts. I would submit anything in the area of 55-65 cS would be fine and that corresponds to the weights listed above. If you compare the flow rates for cold start up in the Toyota handbook, the rates are from 85 to 136 for a 20w-50 grade.

So what does all this mean? I am merely suggesting the ideal grade oil for the FJ, operated within its design capacity would suggest the above grades.....0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30. Even the Toyota recommended oil of 0w-20 will not in MY OPINION, protect the engine as well as the other grades. Your gas mileage may be a fraction better however as the oil is thinner. (The Mobile 1 0w-20 oil bottle even says "gas mileage blend"). Will using the 0w-40 or 15w-50 ruin your engine? Probably not during the warranty period but IMO it wont be as protected as the other grades.

PLEASE! spare me the hate posts that say Toyota knows best-blah,blah,blah. I LOVE Totota, I have had 2 Fj's, and I am a believer in their products BUT, at times they are constrained by federal rules and pressure to get gas mileage down, emissions lower, etc. All their decisions are NOT completely based upon engine longevity or in our best interest...... Just my .02 (Dont be a hater) You all are entitled to your opinions. This is just mine.........:wink

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
This is not correct.

Here is a copy of the oil recommendation page from the Owner's Manual for a 2014 FJC sold in the Gulf States. Vehicles sold in this region have exactly the same 1GR-FE engine as FJCs sold in the US, but do not have to meet the EPA's CAFE fuel economy requirements and therefore can use higher viscosity oils that are optimized for engine durability.

For temperatures from 20F to 100F+, 20W-50 is recommended.

Are you saying that the government cares more about the environment and their agenda than they do for the welfare of my vehicle, my engine, or the financial impact on my family??

That the whole 0W20 thing is bad for my Toyota?

When you say Gulf States are exempt from CAFE regulations are you referring to Gulf of Mexico in the US or the Persian Gulf.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Are you saying that the government cares more about the environment and their agenda than they do for the welfare of my vehicle, my engine, or the financial impact on my family??

That the whole 0W20 thing is bad for my Toyota?

When you say Gulf States are exempt from CAFE regulations are you referring to Gulf of Mexico in the US or the Persian Gulf.
Arab states of the Persian Gulf.

All 50 US states are subject to Federal EPA fuel economy and emissions requirements.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Re: FJ Engine oil!! YEA! I wanna talk about oil!

So, what kinda oil do you like?

Whats is your favorite brand?
Are there any coupons or rebates???
fabricgator,

If your post was directed at me:

* I do not sell oil (just very interested in the subject)

* There is a bunch of info on-line about the 5 Standard industry
tests done on oil for adhesion, lubrication, wear etc. The top
brands were tested and you can see results and make up your own mind.

* The brands I use are Mobile 1 and Amsoil

* And LMAO re your query about the government...............:rofl:

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Oh, and Yes, I would not use 0w-20 in my FJ......
Unless I could drain it when engine reaches OT (operating temp)
and fill with 5w-30 or 0w-30........ Just my .02

·
Registered
30 Posts
FWIW, my 2015 Ford Superduty specs 5w-20 in the 6.2. For the 2016's they changed it to 5w-30 , so I moved over to that since I tow daily. I think mobil 1 0-30 is what I am going to put in everything this Winter. 2014 FJ and 2015 SD.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
FWIW, my 2015 Ford Superduty specs 5w-20 in the 6.2. For the 2016's they changed it to 5w-30 , so I moved over to that since I tow daily. I think mobil 1 0-30 is what I am going to put in everything this Winter. 2014 FJ and 2015 SD.
Hey Fred,

Good decision....Your post highlites my point that Ford has determined also that the viscosity (flow rate) of the synthetic oil in their engines, even the big 6.2 is about 10cS at operating temp. (5w-20 doesnt cut it, as the viscosity is 8 at operating temp) Synthetic oil does not break down since the base oil they use and the man-made molecules are exactly the same and creates very little friction and has excellent lubrication and adhesion qualities. The viscosity of the oil through your motor is key. You cant go wrong with the 0w-30 since your flow rate at start up and at operating temp is pretty close to perfect. Since the synthetic oil by definition does not really break down, you just need to change it at say 7500 max. This is because the TBN (additive package containing detergents and extra lubricants like zinc are pretty much worn out at 7500 in Mobile 1. I have checked this by sending oil to the Blackstone lab at different mileage intervals. The Mobile 1 TBN package starts new out of the can at I believe a 9, and at 7500 miles can approach a 2. Dont want to go much below that. Your engine will still get the lubrication qualities of the oil but not the extra protection the detergents and anti rust additives give your engine. Your car manual probably calls for oil change at 10k? I wouldnt go 10k unless you use Amsoil 0w-30 as the additve package is more robust with the TBN package starts at a 12. The oil is also almost double the cost though. Once again, just my opinion.

Your FJ will do well on the 0w-30 blend.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts