Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'll keep this brief.

Thanks to your suggestions and advice,

Me and my girlfriend are now proud owners of a 2008 FJ Cruiser, my very first car. : )

With just about 120k miles, and literally no rust underneath- In NYC!

It took about a month of research, trying out different FJ's and bringing a solid scan tool as an added measure of protection (avoided one with a cylinder misfire).

The only issues I've had with it so far are a broken glovebox handle, a faulty tire pressure light (needs to be fixed), and the previous owner being a smoker.

Recently took it to a Wash & Lube, changed the oil, air filter, etc., and my god, the difference in riding was NIGHT AND DAY. Felt like a brand new vehicle!

But yeah, thank you guys so much for all your help. 馃槃

It's a wonderful car! I don't know how the hell you guys confidently drive this thing with it's blind spots, and I sure as hell take my time when parking this thing. 馃槀

I don't think I'd suggest it to anyone as a first time car in NYC, but man, I'm happy with this thing. If I can drive this, I can drive anything. 馃槑

A big shout out to @REEL-M-N for the in-depth breakdown on the fj. You guys here are the best. 馃槃

Now, I'm off to fight for parking like the rest of the folks here in NYC. 馃槶

Premium Member
Congrats!

Reactions: StudioRob

Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD Titanium Metallic
Congrats and nice FJ!!! Looks super clean.

Premium Member
Congrats and welcome to the rabbit hole!

Registered
Congrats!

My advice with blind spots, get some blind spot mirror inserts for your side mirrors, and when you can, back into parking spots.

Premium Member
Congratulations!!

Registered
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

Registered
Awesome 馃槑
Look up side mirror blind spot adjustment on YouTube and you鈥檒l find a few useful videos about solving the blind spot issue. The short version is, you don鈥檛 need to see your side doors on your mirrors 馃槈

I lived in NYC for 4 years and managed to get 3 parking tickets, although I didn鈥檛 have a car 馃槄

1F642345-35F4-475D-9191-D879A7DD5D06.jpeg

Good luck
G

Registered
Another welcome from Vancouver, great looking FJ and congrats on your first car, Rob!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats!

My advice with blind spots, get some blind spot mirror inserts for your side mirrors, and when you can, back into parking spots.
Thank you brother 馃槃

Oh yeah, I am seriously considering some blind spot inserts, they seem really damn useful.The FJ has completely warped my sense of depth when parking, so I tend to over compensate when I park. My wheels get so close to the curb, they stop me from backing up when I park 馃槄In the mean time, I've been taking a measured guess at distance (i.e., if the hood of my car lines up below the rear lights of the car in front, I'm xx amount close) and so forth. So far, it's been great!

Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD Titanium Metallic
Thank you thank you 馃槃I'm fighting the cigarette smell to this day 馃槶It's like the previous owner was a human chimney
Have you had it detailed? Maybe try putting on open container of baking soda in there?

It may just be a matter of time before it dissipates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts