Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It was an FJ that belonged to a friend of mine. He had an unhelpful spotter that was allowing people to take bad lines. Slow roll-over that nobody really tried to stop, apparently. Usually, when an FJ starts to tip on the wall, people grab onto the front bumper to keep it upright. He said everyone just stood there and watched it roll. FJ was driveable and made it all the way down Poughkeepsie and into Ouray, but is totaled now.
That sucks! I hope he gets it replaced without too much pain. None of the FJs in our group on Saturday even came close to getting up, so nobody took any real risks on the wall. Is he really a fellow Nebraskan? Feel free to PM me if I can be of any assistance.

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
It was an FJ that belonged to a friend of mine. He had an unhelpful spotter that was allowing people to take bad lines. Slow roll-over that nobody really tried to stop, apparently. Usually, when an FJ starts to tip on the wall, people grab onto the front bumper to keep it upright. He said everyone just stood there and watched it roll. FJ was driveable and made it all the way down Poughkeepsie and into Ouray, but is totaled now.
First:
When you start on a off road trail the person that is ultimately responsible is the person setting behind the wheel.
If you are not totally familiar with your vehicle when you take a hard line you should back away and look for a different way if there is chance for a crash.

Second:
Unless you have had a discussion with all involved before, most folks don't know when or were to grab onto a vehicle when it is off balance and tipping. If you grab onto a tipping vehicle you better have a escape route planned when things go South.

To bad for your friend and glad no injuries but iron can be replaced, flesh and bone not so much.

·
Registered
97 Posts
last year the entire group made it up the wall, this year the entire group was winched, still had a blast but disappointing to hear someone killed their FJ - the spotter on Sunday did not belong there, FJ summit should have hired an experienced person rather than trust a volunteer w no experience

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,836 Posts
I passed the flopped FJ in the creek as they were recovering it Thursday, that damn bridge is just plain dangerous if you take it at an angle as most do when you pull to the side on Corkscrew before departing for Ouray. If there was at least sticks with flagging showing the perimeter this would not have happened, driver had a small bump on his head but nothing more just slow rolled it off the bridge.

The roll on Poughkeepsie was unfortunate and he is a good dude so I hate it for him, after seeing a fellow trail leader try to shoot the wall on Tuesday and almost flip I didn't feel the need to try it. The hole that's been dug out at the bottom of the wall makes it extremely dangerous to attempt because if you do not make it you will end up in the hole on your driver's rear quarter and the smallest amount of torque will flip you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was on the same run with the guy that rolled at poughkeepsie. Seems like a good guy and we struck up a couple conversations before that took place. I was taking pictures for him with his phone when he rolled. I feel real bad for him as I know I'd be kind of crushed if that happened to one of my vehicles. Unfortunately, I was on the wrong side to grab ahold of it but honestly it probably would have slung us over the top if we did grab it. The wall was super slick that day and I only witnessed the Marlin Crawler's Taco (on 37's) and our leader (SAS on 40's) make it up. After the poor FJ was winched back on 4 wheels it started raining and hailing and they basically closed down the wall so the rest of the group and I left via the bypass. The leader stayed with him and I was also going to stay but he asked that I get to town and call his daughter.

I know that this type of thing could happen anytime, anywhere we wheel, hell, even just driving to and from work but it was a real sobering experience for everyone there. Truly a very sad situation playing out right in front of us. My kids were definitely freaked out over it, literally begging me not to try it.

I just read today on Facebook that he also lost his wallet somewhere. When it rains, it pours. I sure hope his luck turns around.

That sucks! I hope he gets it replaced without too much pain. None of the FJs in our group on Saturday even came close to getting up, so nobody took any real risks on the wall. Is he really a fellow Nebraskan? Feel free to PM me if I can be of any assistance.
I'm in NM but I'd definitely be willing to help him as well.

That stinks! Where was Jon from All-Pro when you need him!
I think Jon was there but he was on top running the winch. Some other guy was doing the spotting.

last year the entire group made it up the wall, this year the entire group was winched, still had a blast but disappointing to hear someone killed their FJ - the spotter on Sunday did not belong there, FJ summit should have hired an experienced person rather than trust a volunteer w no experience
Yep, last year would've been the year to try it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
And there just had to be a jeep there.. wtf
There are Jeeps everywhere and frankly nearly all are good people (those that are in the backcountry- not talking about Jeep drivers in the city).

2 years ago we had some selfless Jeepers help us out when we were dirtbiking and one of our party was badly injured and couldn't ride. They came and rescued us and even rode out on of our bikes.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
There are Jeeps everywhere and frankly nearly all are good people (those that are in the backcountry- not talking about Jeep drivers in the city).

2 years ago we had some selfless Jeepers help us out when we were dirtbiking and one of our party was badly injured and couldn't ride. They came and rescued us and even rode out on of our bikes.
The only problem that I've ever had up there was with a H3. The driver was passing us in places that he shouldn't have been. Kicking up rocks on us.

My passenger radioed the group ahead of us and they blocked the road. He was talked to, and explained how he and his ride would go over the side if he kept it up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There's the good and the bad with just about every group.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
If these are his sentiments, I'm sorry to hear he's blaming everyone else. I was standing there when this happened...he was being spotted by Woody (of IH8MUD fame...look him up) and Jon from All-Pro. Hardly "unhelpful" spotters. The guy who flopped seemed like a genuinely good guy and did a good deed for a friend of mine later that day so I hope this is just your take and not how he's genuinely feeling.

That stinks! Where was Jon from All-Pro when you need him!
He was there and helped recover the FJC.

First:
When you start on a off road trail the person that is ultimately responsible is the person setting behind the wheel.
If you are not totally familiar with your vehicle when you take a hard line you should back away and look for a different way if there is chance for a crash.

Second:
Unless you have had a discussion with all involved before, most folks don't know when or were to grab onto a vehicle when it is off balance and tipping. If you grab onto a tipping vehicle you better have a escape route planned when things go South.

To bad for your friend and glad no injuries but iron can be replaced, flesh and bone not so much.
Bingo. Expecting that people risk their health/lives to save a truck is ridiculous.

It's always easy to blame the spotter, but please remember that they are *helping* you. Ultimately, you're still the driver and the only one responsible for your rig and its occupants.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I see pictures of people standing on sliders and bumpers all the time. Bad idea! Also the thought that anyone is close enough to grab a bumper scares the crap out of me.

I suggest that the winch wall should be closed if wet. There is a bypass.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Someone in my group Saturday was also in the group with the FJ that flopped in the creek. He said a the FJ was about to cross the creek bridge when another vehicle turned from the highway at speed and instinctively turned to avoid the other vehicle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you catch the name of the guy who rolled on poughkeepsie? I am wondering if his name is Chris. I rode with a Nebraskan named Chris with a silver FJ earlier in the week...

I was on the same run with the guy that rolled at poughkeepsie. Seems like a good guy and we struck up a couple conversations before that took place. I was taking pictures for him with his phone when he rolled. I feel real bad for him as I know I'd be kind of crushed if that happened to one of my vehicles. Unfortunately, I was on the wrong side to grab ahold of it but honestly it probably would have slung us over the top if we did grab it. The wall was super slick that day and I only witnessed the Marlin Crawler's Taco (on 37's) and our leader (SAS on 40's) make it up. After the poor FJ was winched back on 4 wheels it started raining and hailing and they basically closed down the wall so the rest of the group and I left via the bypass. The leader stayed with him and I was also going to stay but he asked that I get to town and call his daughter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you catch the name of the guy who rolled on poughkeepsie? I am wondering if his name is Chris. I rode with a Nebraskan named Chris with a silver FJ earlier in the week...
I believe his name was Chris. He was towing a trailer 2.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts