Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I just learned there was another unplanned dive into a creek. A Lexus 470 got too close to the edge and began the slow lean that usually leads to a roll. He turned into it and prevented the roll but hit the creek bottom hard enough to destroy a tire and possible front end damage. Fortunately it was a short drop at that location. That's the third mishap that probably can be attributed to distracted driving. Not a good thing to be doing while cruising around the San Juans.

·
Desert Moderator
6,206 Posts
Lexus, sheep, distracted, foot slipped OFF the pedal... too many things wrong w/ that whole scenario. :rolleyes: :lol:
NZ or Wyoming plates? :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you catch the name of the guy who rolled on poughkeepsie? I am wondering if his name is Chris. I rode with a Nebraskan named Chris with a silver FJ earlier in the week...
I believe his name was Chris. He was towing a trailer 2.
Yes, his name is Chris. Really cool guy. He did mention he towed a teardrop trailer to camp in.

I just learned there was another unplanned dive into a creek. A Lexus 470 got too close to the edge and began the slow lean that usually leads to a roll. He turned into it and prevented the roll but hit the creek bottom hard enough to destroy a tire and possible front end damage. Fortunately it was a short drop at that location. That's the third mishap that probably can be attributed to distracted driving. Not a good thing to be doing while cruising around the San Juans.
I heard of that one as well.

I was only there for the flop on Poughkeepsie and I can assure you on that incident, it was not caused by distracted driving.

As for the other incidents, who knows. I do agree that these trails, actually anytime someone is behind the wheel, you should be 100% focused on the road. Some close calls this year, glad nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There was also an incident on Caifornia on Friday. Luckily they went off the road before getting above the tree line and got caught by the trees just off the trail. Our trail leader was telling us about it on our Saturday morning run. They were able to get them out and winch it back on the trail and continue on. A little bit further up the hill and it could have been a lot worse.

·
トヨタ Master
6,632 Posts
NZ or Wyoming plates? :lol::lol::lol:
People in WY with a Lexus can't afford to drive them, but we can ride our sheep as much as we want! >:D:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Two years ago at the bridge, had the same thing happen, but farther across the bridge. Did not roll off, but we had to winch him back up. Very lucky it did not roll. You can see the small fence post at the front of the bridge, that is what stopped him from going down.

I always tell my groups, that the most dangerous part of Ouray is driving back on 550. No more than checked the next guy off and wham. He was looking south on 550 for oncoming traffic.

Saturday they were stacking rocks at the entrance to the bridge.

Sunday heading home from Ridgeway to Telluride, there was another FJ in the creek bed being pulled out. Just before the single lane headed into Telluride. No idea who it was, they would not let me stop to see. Black Cherry FJ. No idea if anyone was hurt, but doubt it as they were letting traffic thru.

A bad weekend for metal for sure, but it seems all are safe. We all must remember these were accidents, period, nothing more. But attention to detail when off roading is required. I am so glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
That infamous bridge is no narrower than some of the shelf roads we drive on Black Bear. I hope driving off the edge up there is not the next example of distracted driving.

Someone stated there was a vehicle approaching the bridge from the highway side and the FJ driver instinctively swerved right and off the bridge. My instinct would have been to stop and hit the horn.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Two years ago at the bridge, had the same thing happen, but farther across the bridge. Did not roll off, but we had to winch him back up. Very lucky it did not roll. You can see the small fence post at the front of the bridge, that is what stopped him from going down.

I always tell my groups, that the most dangerous part of Ouray is driving back on 550. No more than checked the next guy off and wham. He was looking south on 550 for oncoming traffic.

Saturday they were stacking rocks at the entrance to the bridge.

Sunday heading home from Ridgeway to Telluride, there was another FJ in the creek bed being pulled out. Just before the single lane headed into Telluride. No idea who it was, they would not let me stop to see. Black Cherry FJ. No idea if anyone was hurt, but doubt it as they were letting traffic thru.

A bad weekend for metal for sure, but it seems all are safe. We all must remember these were accidents, period, nothing more. But attention to detail when off roading is required. I am so glad no one was hurt.
I was one that run as well and remember that guy driving off. That metal stake saved his ass!

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
That infamous bridge is no narrower than some of the shelf roads we drive on Black Bear. I hope driving off the edge up there is not the next example of distracted driving.

Someone stated there was a vehicle approaching the bridge from the highway side and the FJ driver instinctively swerved right and off the bridge. My instinct would have been to stop and hit the horn.
Indeed and, for whatever it is worth, let me add that anyone can look at that spot on google maps from their easy chair at home and see that there is around fifty feet from the bridge to pavement.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts