Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
had a little accident with the FJ. I have a three inch lift with a full road armor
bumper.at 30 miles pre hour a little honda civic made a left turn in front of me.
I slamed on the brakes but still hit and crushed the other car. the other car left in pieces on a flat bed,I drove home with a bump on my knee. I looked at it
closer and noticed my front left wheel was 3 inches back out of center.
went to the shop and found out I bent the frame and they ordered a new fram from japan. I HAVE OVER 20K IN MODS. what a let down to find out the frame is not strong enough for all I thought I could do off or on road!!
The FJ is great for slow fun but do not drive at speed and hit a pot hole or tree ! you will find out the hard way your truck is not that strong!:boohoo:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
First of all, I'm glad nobody was seriously injured in the accident. I've got to laugh at the bent frame thing though. What did you expect. Front end collision you were doing 30 and the other car was doing the same so a 60mph impact and you are expecting the FJ to be intact?

Come on.

:rofl:

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
had a little accident with the FJ. I have a three inch lift with a full road armor
bumber.at 30 miles pre hour a little honda civic made a left turn in front of me.
I slamed on the brakes but still hit and crushed the other car. the other car left in pieces on a flat bed,I drove home with a bubp on my knee. I looke at it
went to the shop and found out I bent the frame and they ordered a new fram from japan. I HAVE OVER 20K IN MODS. what a let down to find out the frame is not strong enough for all I thought I could do off or on road!!
The FJ is great for slow fun but do not dive at speed and hit a pot hole or tree ! you will find out the hard way your truck is not that strong!:boohoo:

That GIANT bumper sure helped in tweaking it.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I wouldn't generalize your incident to the weakness of every FJ out there. Sure, it's possible the FJ isn't as strong as we thought it was. What other proof do you have than one incident? It could have been the specific angle that you hit the other car, or it could be that you actually had a blunt force hit from the frame of the other vehicle. If you put an entire vehicles weight on one point on your frame, it is possible it's going to bend. I'm truly sorry for your bad luck, but I really think I would have heard more about frame weakness by now if that was the case.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
A bent frame is why you only have a bump on the knee. Occupant safety is paramount to the vehicle being okay after a crash. Crumple zones exist in the frame too.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Sounds like the bumper transmitted all the force of the accident to the frame. The original bumper is designed to collapse. I'd be happy I was not hurt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
bumber.at 30 miles pre hour a little honda civic made a left turn in front of me.
I slamed on the brakes but still hit and crushed the other car. the other car left in pieces on a flat bed,I drove home with a bubp on my knee. I looke at it
The FJ is great for slow fun but do not dive at speed and hit a pot hole or tree ! you will find out the hard way your truck is not that strong!:boohoo:
the other car was going 8 miles per hour. hey I'm not complaining , i feel very lucky. but two things.one the repair shop said this is nothing new and showed me where the frame is weak and two I will not ad any more dollars to some thing that has a weakness. if it were my fault the insurance would not of covered all of it. what I was also told,upgradeing alot of parts i.e. mods will only put more stress on the frame, that it was not designed for. anyway,thats all.take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nothing wrong with your FJ frame, any vehicle would/should do the same with that sort of impact. That is a very serious crash at 30 mph regardless of how big/small or how fast the other car was moving. If your FJ survived this sort of crash but you ruptured your spleen or had other serious injuries would you be complaining that the FJ was unsafe in a crash? You are pretty lucky, I hope the person in the other car was as lucky.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Why do you need a new frame??? If you were able to drive off they should be able to straighten it out. If you damaged it so bad it needs a new frame, that would mean your truck is totaled.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
OK, I have to agree a little. I put on Expedition One sliders, one day while "wheelin" I came down pretty hard on my right side slider. It actually pulled the frame out a little where each of the nuts are that hold my sliders. Now I have little bumps where each nut is and it actually dis-lodged one of the frame nuts. Since then I have welded the bottom of my sliders to the frame so if it happens again the force will be better distributed. The frame as a whole seems very strong because of the design but the metal is thin compared to my 1988 FJ 62. Toyota should have "beefed" up the frame where these nuts are that hold the sliders. Now in Toyota's defense, the slider was hit on the end which caused quite the force because of the leverage created with the design of the slider. Since this is my first new vehicle since my 1988 FJ 62 I guess I just expected the frame to be a little stronger.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
dude, think about the weight and momentum that anything with that kind of mass has at 30 mph.

with the ride height change and massive bumper, the frame definitely had a lot of stress on it.

i'm not going to touch the $20k useless info that you threw out there. hmm, look at me....

i hit a lady in a stock 2wd F150 my heavily modified 05 silverado ext cab. it was on 35"s with 7.5" of overall suspension lift. she was at a dead stop (illegally parked at night, no lights on the truck, dark green in color, no street lights). by the time i saw her the speedo registered a swift 15 mph (speedo was recalibrated for the tire size and gearing), but the momentum that the truck had was unreal. killed the bumper and slightly tweaked the frame.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
the other car was going 8 miles per hour. hey I'm not complaining , i feel very lucky. but two things.one the repair shop said this is nothing new and showed me where the frame is weak and two I will not ad any more dollars to some thing that has a weakness. if it were my fault the insurance would not of covered all of it. what I was also told,upgradeing alot of parts i.e. mods will only put more stress on the frame, that it was not designed for. anyway,thats all.take it for what its worth.
even if it isnt your fault, if you have full coverage, they will cover everything except your deductable.

even aftermarket parts are covered as long as they are in the factory location, i.e.: fog lights mounted in factory holes, bumpers, etc... and they will generally cover non factory located things like if a winch was installed and damaged in a collision.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Your lucky to to be o.k. 30mph impact that is a lot of weight and momentum and I'd expect some frame damage! I saw a quad cab late model Dodge completely totaled into the rear of a nissan sentra and he locked the brakes and skidded into it no more than 20mph. I was shocked to see the truck looked worse than the little sentra?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Crumple zones exist in the frame too.
Are you sure about this???

How can the backbone of the vehicle be built to collapse as well as be the strongest part?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts