Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Material property Parallel Circle Number
Years later, have been lurking quietly on these forms for about a decade now. Want to address something that I think is incorrect. Everyone is stating that the front differential fill and drain plug specs are 29 and 48 ft/lb? It looks like people have been reading the service manual wrong many years and just passing on that Misinformation. The service manual States the front differential is 29 ft/lb PERIOD...... and the rear differential is 36 ft/lb. But it looks like people are interpreting it as 29 and 49 for front fill and drain plugs which is incorrect. And then years later everyone is wondering why they can't get the damn drain plug off when they go to do a service LOL. I noticed this because I was doing a service on my differentials when I looked at my service manual I realized that it was different information than that on the forums.. Below is a snapshot of what the service manual actually says. I think people are confusing the Newton measurement N*M for foot pounds or something. I also think because somebody put the measurements into a homemade spreadsheet that people just assume that was the service manual on this website. Just an FYI / Heads Up Guys. don't want to be stripping out those bolts..

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I don't think people are having problems after they've serviced it once already. It's from the factory that it was installed so tight and the many heat cycles as the vehicles get older. I purposely undertorque the fill plugs as it's not an area that requires high torque. I just don't need it to leak. Good on you for checking your values. I've mixed up my values before looking from one source to another. DD as they say, due diligence.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I would imagine that most will be able to get the bolts off with a little finesse and elbow grease. My concern was more the fact that they are over cranking the hell out of them at 49 foot pounds for the drain side on those Crush washers. On the forums 99% are regurgitating 49 ft pounds for the drain side on the front differential. Even on YouTube videos most say 49 for the drain torque. There's even a video where the guy actually has the service manual and he points to it and he reads off a handwritten value right next to the real values from the service manual itself. LOL.. In all I guess I'm just trying to put it out there so people don't crank down too hard and snap a bolt or strip a thread. That would totally suck..

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Actually, I think you may be misinterpreting the torque values specified in the factory service manual.

You stated: "Want to address something that I think is incorrect. Everyone is stating that the front differential fill and drain plug specs are 29 and 48 ft/lb? It looks like people have been reading the service manual wrong many years and just passing on that Misinformation. The service manual States the front differential is 29 ft/lb PERIOD...... and the rear differential is 36 ft/lb. But it looks like people are interpreting it as 29 and 49 for front fill and drain plugs which is incorrect."

Your image in post #1, clipped from the '07 factory service manual, is addressing ONLY the FILLER plugs, NOT the DRAIN plugs.

The '07 FSM clearly specifies that the FRONT differential FILLER plug torque is 29 ft-lbs, and the FRONT differential DRAIN plug torque is 48 ft-lbs.

For the REAR differential, the FILLER plug and DRAIN plug torque is 36 ft-lbs.

Here are clips from one of the versions of the '07 FSM:

First, the note for interpreting torque values as shown on the parts diagrams - ft-lbs are last:
Font Rectangle Brand Number Graphics

Next, the FSM specs for front diff fill & drain plug torques:

Organism Font Line Parallel Slope

Finally, the FSM specs for rear diff fill and drain plug torques:
Font Rectangle Line Slope Parallel

In both of the Toyota 4WD trucks I have purchased new, the front differential filler plugs were EXTREMELY tight at the first oil change. I have since replaced the hex socket filler plugs with the Lexus male-hex filler plugs, which makes removal much easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts