Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/IMG]While my bezel is getting painted,I decided to do something I really havent seen around here..Check it out,and I'll post when bezel is done and my brushguard is back on...
[/IMG]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx...just upped my tires to BFG Muds,and painting front bezel black,somI figured I'd do something a bit different..My FJ color scheme is silver, red and black,so this should be a nice touch. Will post a complete pix in this post when done...

·
Registered
470 Posts
That looks really clean, what was your process? Masking/taping/primer/painting and such. I'd like to get rid of the silver on my black grill.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Looks good...did you remove the letters from the grill in order to paint? Seems that would save alot of time effort from masking everything off.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's cool. I swapped out my stock silver grill for a black one and I've been thinking about pulling the Toyota logo from the silver grill and painting it yellow to match the FJ, then installing it on my black grill. This I think is the inspiration to go dig that grill out from under the junk down in the garage! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Nice detail work!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, the letters are bead melted behind the grill,so i took my solder gun,which has a plastic knife(its a tip that heats up when installed on the solder gun)..and melted the beads off...as you heat it,push it forward(one letter at a time)..obviously,once removed,the job is easy..1.degrease w westley bleach white,sand/score with red 3m pad,prime(if ya got primer),paint,clearcoat...then reinstall w epoxy type glue in the holes that hold the letters..fun,custom,yet easy!.now go match to your fj color!..personalized,for 10 bux!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I did a few color/paint modifications to my previous FJ, an '07 Titanium. Here's a few pics:

1st mod was Painting the silver skid plate (changed to flat black) after my 3" lift was installed
[/IMG]

Next I changed the bezel from silver to a retro-white similar to the roof
[/IMG]

Next I painted the center hubs on the black steelies & the front shackles red
[/IMG]

Next I masked off the hood vent grill and painted it
[/IMG]

Next I removed the Toyota emblem from the grill & painted it red, and masked off the lower silver bumper insert & painted it with truck bed liner (good match)
[/IMG]

And if I remember correctly the last paint mod I did was change some of the badging colors and placement
[/IMG]

This fits in with chicagoron's paint scheme

Reactions: toyo4me

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its as if you stole my FJ!!..I'm goin' to go and check my garage!!!..Gonna post a few pix once I'm Done...!!!I hate getting on the forum,I always spend more..Just ordered light bar too...The low profile one..will have pix of that too...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Pulled my Toyota emblem off the old grill yesterday, lightly sanded it, and gave it a shot of yellow rustoleum (closest I could find to the Fusion). I like it!

Reactions: toyo4me

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Thanks for the Idea :rocker: I don't have a solder gun so i used dremel tool :bigthumb: it worked!!! cool

:clap:

·
Registered
297 Posts
That Red looks great! I didn't use either to remove mine. I just sheared the back off with a flathead screw driver. Didn't even take it off the FJ. Then I used a health helping of clear silicone to hold it on. I got a spare now, think I'll try red next!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I have two extra grills...So I just spent 10 minutes taking one apart. I used a small cold punch and hammer to knock the tabs thru. It's so easy to do it this way. Next I used a dremmel to sand the little posts so they can pop back into place.

I'm going to paint the TOYOTA red...The inside louvers silver and the outer frame black!

Don't know how this combo will look...but I will post up some pics in a few days when I'm finished...I just bought another grill from the stealership just in case...Ha Ha..

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm going to paint the TOYOTA red...The inside louvers silver and the outer frame black!

Don't know how this combo will look...but I will post up some pics in a few days when I'm finished...I just bought another grill from the stealership just in case...Ha Ha..
It will look like this. I really like the look.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes! I'm still waiting on my bezel(texturized,flat black..from buddy's body shop),and have the red toyota going on my silver FJ...This is the look I was going for,so nice to see it finished,My brushguard and front end is just waiting for bezel..So, in the meantime, I orrdered the low profile light bar, and will install at the same time and post pix..Glad to see everyone do this..Its an easy personalized touch,for any color combo you desire..Hope you guys clearcoated final version!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts