Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all - I'm doing a little research before ordering my 2011 FJ. The forum is very helpful. So far, the generic issues I've read about are OEM roof rack leaks, and poor or fluctuating gas mileage.

Are there other big, generic issues for late-model FJ's that I should be considering before ordering? Is there anyone here that has actually found their FJ to be trouble-free?

Currently getting quotes on a 4x4 AT w/ upgrade packages, roof rack, misc. accessories.

Thanks, and cheers -
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
On my second FJ now and have had only ONE issue that required attention by the warranty, steering rack on my '08 just became loose and was replaced by the dealership just before I left on deployment.

You mentioned leaking roof racks? Actually, that is the first I'm hearing of this issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had my 2011 Quicksand FJ for about a month now. I love it. The problems you face with the FJ are just sacrifices of its Retro design. Poor Visibility, suicide door spacing when parallel parked and wind on the highway just come with the vehicle. Other than that its Da Bomb! I took mine (stock) down Cleghorn trail off of the 15fwy in Southern California (extreme difficult), and didn't bump scratch or ding my ride. I was pleasantly surprised and now have a little more confidence in where this thing can go. Happy motoring!

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Hi, all - I'm doing a little research before ordering my 2011 FJ. The forum is very helpful. So far, the generic issues I've read about are OEM roof rack leaks, and poor or fluctuating gas mileage.

Are there other big, generic issues for late-model FJ's that I should be considering before ordering? Is there anyone here that has actually found their FJ to be trouble-free?

Currently getting quotes on a 4x4 AT w/ upgrade packages, roof rack, misc. accessories.

Thanks, and cheers -
Mike
Not sure about others, but I have had my FJ now for 3 years and had zero problems. Knock on wood! LOL Not once have I had to take it to the dealer for something more than an oil change and that is with 77K miles and having the extended 100K mile warranty. Planning on buying another one in a year or two, if they are still out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick responses, everyone. I know it is the nature of forums to talk about issues rather than non-issues, so it is good to hear all sides of the story. Looking forward to joining you soon.
Mike

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think the rack has only leaked for people putting on their own aftermarket rack, and that is easily solved. My MPG has been a consistent 19 mpg. I doubt “fluctuation” is a common problem.

The issue I would be aware of is the fender tear. This might have been solved. Buy with confidence.

Also, don’t bring up any of these issues with the salesman. He’ll have no idea and deny everything (just making you mad). He’s (or she) usually just a negotiator, not an informed ally.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Had mine since the middle of 08. No complaints or problems. Great ride and lots of fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While preparing to purchase, I've found that in general the Toyota dealers have been the least well-informed sources of information about the FJ. Too bad; it is as if they don't want to sell the car. I just went to the Washington, DC car show and people were literally crawling over the FJ to get a better look. Stealth marketing, for sure.
Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Generic problems:
I go back when I owned a 1985 Toyota Landcruiser wagon model with a 4 cyl diesel straight no turbo...Toyota ,I always felt they stood by there product line, and yes there have been some glitches, but in the BIG picture I am very pleased. Its really about the feeling, bottom line. What do you feel when you drive your FJ, and everything you add or change, you just add too that feeling, that sense of excitment and look at all the nurchering we all do with our babies or whatever your interaction is with your particular vehicle. Bonding 101
2012 is just around the corner and I felt it was my last chance, so I traded up to the 2010 FJ green, Oh! what a FEELING everyone and Love concours all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts