Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:









(HP IPAQ Hx4700 with Iguidance 2.1.3 Bluetooth) Sorry about the quality, they were taken with cell phone camera...:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
caliFJ said:
have any pictures of your crash? :eek: :D
Honestly it doesnt affect your vision area at all. If you open yours up about 3.5-4.0 inches, you will still be able to see the edge of the hood (at least the way I sit you can) so it really doesnt have any driving line of sight loss...:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Sorry in advance for all the questions I am going to throw at you. :D

Is the unit just sitting there or did you fab a mounting bracket for it?

Is the unit running off of it's internal power, or did you wire power cable?

Any problems with reception in that location or did you wire an external antenna?

Probably more to come :D I am getting ready to install an eclipse nav system but I would prefer to buy a Nuvi.

Thanks!!!!

-granger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
granger said:
Any problems with reception in that location or did you wire an external antenna?
I am also interested in this, should you use any of the "off the shelf" GPS units, the antenna visibility is going to be pretty limited (due to the rakish angle of the windscreen).

I think the best answer is a remote antenna, I'm not sure if I'd run it through the firewall to the hood, or up to the roof. (obviously roof would be preferable).

power shouldn't be too hard to get to (the fuse panel's directly below that position).

Now do I continue using my Garmin, or has the upgrade bug hit me on this as well?...

yeah, he's using a bluetooth antenna + GPS software (Iguidance 2.1.3 + Bluetooth)
TonysFJ, Do I see the antenna on the right behind the "case" in the first pic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,628 Posts
No, go harass the mailman or milkman or poolguy, or gardener. :eek: man, is it these guys or the lonely housewives. Who's to blame.:D

Just have diarrhea of the mouth sometimes. Under a lot of pressure lately, playing the waiting game versus torturing myself and considering bailing.

I wonder if this is what people go through when they contemplate suicide. That's f*cked up too. Anyway I will be a lot less irritable after I special order an FJ and get it 3-4 wks from now. Then I will join the lot of you with sh*t eatin' grins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
granger said:
Sorry in advance for all the questions I am going to throw at you. :D

Is the unit just sitting there or did you fab a mounting bracket for it?

Is the unit running off of it's internal power, or did you wire power cable?

Any problems with reception in that location or did you wire an external antenna?

Probably more to come :D I am getting ready to install an eclipse nav system but I would prefer to buy a Nuvi.

Thanks!!!!

-granger
I have had a PocketPC running PharosGPS for years. It has a cable with the antenna that you lay on the dash on one of those non-slip pads. Or you can mount the antenna via CF card - but it wouldn't work inside the FJ dash box.

The external antenna cable is a Y with one end to the antenna, one to the docing port on the PDA and the other to a 12V power source (ie, lighter socket, etc.).

In general the GPS works well and has voice prompts. However, it isn't as good as the garmins, or even the units in Hertz cars - imho.

I suspect this is probably somewhat similar out the door to what's loaded in the IPAQ and would require some work to hide the antenna and route full time power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JohnGalt said:
I have had a PocketPC running PharosGPS for years. It has a cable with the antenna that you lay on the dash on one of those non-slip pads. Or you can mount the antenna via CF card - but it wouldn't work inside the FJ dash box.

The external antenna cable is a Y with one end to the antenna, one to the docing port on the PDA and the other to a 12V power source (ie, lighter socket, etc.).

In general the GPS works well and has voice prompts. However, it isn't as good as the garmins, or even the units in Hertz cars - imho.

I suspect this is probably somewhat similar out the door to what's loaded in the IPAQ and would require some work to hide the antenna and route full time power.
The GPS I am using is actually a Bluetooth Wireless module that communicates with the ipaq. You can see the actual units at www.buygpsnow.com

They have all kinds of GPS systems. I like the bluetooth because the module can go in the front window and I dont have to hook any cables up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
JohnGalt said:
I have had a PocketPC running PharosGPS for years. It has a cable with the antenna that you lay on the dash on one of those non-slip pads. Or you can mount the antenna via CF card - but it wouldn't work inside the FJ dash box.

The external antenna cable is a Y with one end to the antenna, one to the docing port on the PDA and the other to a 12V power source (ie, lighter socket, etc.).

In general the GPS works well and has voice prompts. However, it isn't as good as the garmins, or even the units in Hertz cars - imho.

I suspect this is probably somewhat similar out the door to what's loaded in the IPAQ and would require some work to hide the antenna and route full time power.
Reception is great (Uses Bluetooth) to a bluetooth battery powered module.
The battery last about 6-8 hours (depending on backlight usage) on the IPAQ and the GPS bluetooth slipper last about 8-10 hours. (NO ANTENNA :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JohnGalt said:
I have had a PocketPC running PharosGPS for years. It has a cable with the antenna that you lay on the dash on one of those non-slip pads. Or you can mount the antenna via CF card - but it wouldn't work inside the FJ dash box.

The external antenna cable is a Y with one end to the antenna, one to the docing port on the PDA and the other to a 12V power source (ie, lighter socket, etc.).

In general the GPS works well and has voice prompts. However, it isn't as good as the garmins, or even the units in Hertz cars - imho.

I suspect this is probably somewhat similar out the door to what's loaded in the IPAQ and would require some work to hide the antenna and route full time power.
Oh yeah, there is an ipaq car mount that can charge the IPAQ and GPS while driving (using the 12 charger for the car) If you want more specifics, let me know. Sorry its taken so long to get back to you guys...been crazy busy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sparky said:
I am also interested in this, should you use any of the "off the shelf" GPS units, the antenna visibility is going to be pretty limited (due to the rakish angle of the windscreen).

I think the best answer is a remote antenna, I'm not sure if I'd run it through the firewall to the hood, or up to the roof. (obviously roof would be preferable).

power shouldn't be too hard to get to (the fuse panel's directly below that position).

Now do I continue using my Garmin, or has the upgrade bug hit me on this as well?...

yeah, he's using a bluetooth antenna + GPS software (Iguidance 2.1.3 + Bluetooth)
TonysFJ, Do I see the antenna on the right behind the "case" in the first pic?
You got it. Bluetooth slipper made by haicom. www.buygpsnow.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
granger said:
Tony,

When you get a chance please respond to my earlier questions. I'm really interested to hear more about your install.
Granger,

1. I am using an IPAQ HX4700
2. Software is Iguidance 2.1.3
3. Bluetooth Slipper made by Haicom (www.buygpsnow.com) has them or there are other sites as well.
The GPS is currently not mounted. It actually is just sitting there. The weight of the gloebox door holds it pretty securely in place. I am going to see if I can fab something up that will fit the unit with its cradle ( I think its made by sedeio) in the glovebox.
The cradle is powered and has a amplified built in speaker. I will get some more pics with my normal digi-cam and try to get them to you this weekend. PM me if you want with your email and I'll shoot them over.

Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
TonysFJ said:
Granger,

1. I am using an IPAQ HX4700
2. Software is Iguidance 2.1.3
3. Bluetooth Slipper made by Haicom (www.buygpsnow.com) has them or there are other sites as well.
The GPS is currently not mounted. It actually is just sitting there. The weight of the gloebox door holds it pretty securely in place. I am going to see if I can fab something up that will fit the unit with its cradle ( I think its made by sedeio) in the glovebox.
The cradle is powered and has a amplified built in speaker. I will get some more pics with my normal digi-cam and try to get them to you this weekend. PM me if you want with your email and I'll shoot them over.

Tony
Thanks Tony! Keep us posted if you decide to fab something
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
:cheers:I want to do something similar to this, but would like to fashion a replacement module for the front "glove box" or as Toyota calls it, "Auxiliary Box". Can the current lid be removed? Anyone have instructions?

Thanks,
Patrick
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top