Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a complete n00b when it comes to this but I knew I wanted a 3"inch lift and Toyo Open Country M/Ts.

I had the dealership outsource the lift and tire job at Truck Toyz in McAllen, TX.

I have a revtek 3" lift and 2957017 Toyos.

I am experiencing handling issues. I get a sway/floating type sensation when driviging at highway speeds.

I've read that it could be alignment issues, need new UCAs, tire pressure, and possibly just a side effect of having the Toyo MTs. It can't be all those things.

I was wondering if any fellow FJ San Antonian is a whiz at FJ lifts/alignment/UCAs and can troubleshoot this for me? Or at least advise me ona shop that knows what they are doing.

The tires do not rub but they are pretty close to the UCAs.

At times on the highway, I feel unstable when handling the FJ and know that there must be something that can be adjusted to remedy this.

Thanks!

-----
Update:

Tire pressure was at 40 all around. Got it closer to the 32 Toyota recommends. Alignment needed addressing as well. Rides pretty close to stock feel now. I'm happy.

I have a noticeable drift/pull the right on highway. Shop also noticed it. Will work through that minor issue.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Anyone help you yet? I just saw your post.

My first question - did they re-align it? Most shops that lift don't align it. That is the first thing I would check. It sounds like they did not re-align it. Your lift and tire combo should be fine.

Which dealership did you buy at? Toyota of Boerne does a great job on alignments.

PM me if you still need help.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought at Frank Smith Toyota (Pharr, TX). They delivered to me in San Antonio. Truck Toyz of McAllen did the lift/tires. Frank Smith Toyota is sending me to Planet Truck (410/Jackson Keller) to look into the issue.

If I still have alignment issues I will go to Toyota of Boerne since you say they are mod friendly. Red McCombs Toyota would not look into alignment on my truck because of the mod.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Oh wow do you have the FJ w/ camo roof? I saw that FJ sometime back, Truck Toyz does a very good job on their installs but I don't know if they realigned it or if Frank Smith did, more than likely the latter because I don't believe Truck Toyz does alignments, I would call Frank Smith and tell them about your situation, when I had a problem w/ mine right after buying it there they were really helpful.

Honestly it sounds that you need UCAs after a lift UCAs for the most part are needed, dealerships don't usually install them though since it means it will increase cost to the buyer when the vehicle's price has already increased, they say that you get a factory ride w/ the lift and all but to me that's all BS IMO Good luck finding a resolution.

Edit: Just saw your post about you working wi/ Frank Smith already.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Upper control arms are more than likely the culprit.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Was the sway bar removed?:thinkerg: That was the first thing that came to my simple mind!:lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh wow do you have the FJ w/ camo roof? I saw that FJ sometime back, Truck Toyz does a very good job on their installs but I don't know if they realigned it or if Frank Smith did, more than likely the latter because I don't believe Truck Toyz does alignments, I would call Frank Smith and tell them about your situation, when I had a problem w/ mine right after buying it there they were really helpful.

Honestly it sounds that you need UCAs after a lift UCAs for the most part are needed, dealerships don't usually install them though since it means it will increase cost to the buyer when the vehicle's price has already increased, they say that you get a factory ride w/ the lift and all but to me that's all BS IMO Good luck finding a resolution.

Edit: Just saw your post about you working wi/ Frank Smith already.
No that camo one is not mine. Mine is all green (NSSE) http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ls/125455-few-proud-51-nsse-owners-check.html (First post is my FJ)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You'll get that sensation putting on a 3" lift when you first start driving it. Thats normal. Mud tires make the sensation a little more pronounced til they wear in a bit. Still, it could be the alignment
It's more than a sensation at this point. I'm easily floating all around my lane and I have to compensate just to stay in my lane. I really feel uncomfortable pushing it over 65 MPH.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Monky, I was just thinking that if you don't get this resolved by this weekend then bring it over to my house and we will swap my rims and tires over on to yours for a test drive and see how it does then.

Let me know.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Monky, I was just thinking that if you don't get this resolved by this weekend then bring it over to my house and we will swap my rims and tires over on to yours for a test drive and see how it does then.

Let me know.
Will keep that in mind! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Like I said... I'm a noob. Where should I look? :) Though I highly doubt it was removed.:lol:
There are 2, one in the front and one in the rear. If it was an alignment it would pull to one side or the other or if it was really bad you would feel like your driving at an angle.

The pic is of a front one and should be about 1 1/8" in diameter, the rear one should be slightly smaller. If it is on the front make sure they tighen the bolts back up. If the sway bar is there you know it is something else.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Floating feeling/fighting to keep it in the lane = need new upper control arms. If it was your sway bar you would feel a lot of roll in corners.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

Tire pressure was at 40 all around. Got it closer to the 32 Toyota recommends. Alignment needed addressing as well. Rides pretty close to stock feel now. I'm happy.

I have a noticeable drift/pull the right on highway. Shop also noticed it. Will work through that minor issue.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Firestone is usually mod friendly. i took mine to them after i spent the morning lifting it. It didn't take them very long to re-align it and my alighnment has been fine since and that was in 09'. I have heard horror stories from Firestone in the past when dealing with mustangs so i never took mine to them, but nothing bad about FJ's.

·
Cool Breeze
517 Posts
This is Cjcradier here sorry for using the Seanns Name.
Id stay away from planet pick up. Last time I needed a truck aligned the guy that does them didnt know a whole heck of alot. My confidence was greatly skewed! As for Firestone You need to find the right one, Some will align it and some wont. The one on West avenue and Blanco is pretty darn good went out of there way to help me then made sure I got the lifetime so I could take it back. If your Military the one on Fort Sam did mine and it was perfect.
As others have stated Upper control arms do help out when getting aligned and in leting the suspension do its job correctly after lifting it. The performance of the suspension is greatly reduced the higher you go. Front or rear it doesn't matter, I personally have light racing upper control arms and haven't had any issues as of yet. And there warranty is awesome. There are other brands that are just as good it is all an opinion as to witch is better.
I wish you well in your ventures and also get to know the SA fjers they can help you out in many ways. This is the one thing I miss in GA. The comradeship isn't there. Tex s a great group of various talented individuals and you can learn alot from them.
Cliff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts