Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys on here regarding my use of a versahaul motorcycle carrier.

I have an '08 FJ, rough country 3" lift (if that matters) and toyota factory hitch. I purchased a versahaul two rail carrier a while back for my dirtbike and I've never had any problem with it.. I actually never looked at the FJ capacity, as the dirtbike only weighs 250 lbs and I didn't think it was an issue.

I'm picking up a new street / track bike this weekend, a superduke R, and had planned on using the carrier. Since the SDR weighs about 415 pounds or so, I figured I should check the capacity, and I was shocked to find that with the weight of the versahaul unit, the max for bike weight was under 220 pounds I think when using the FJ.

Is it an extremely stupid idea to use the versahaul anyway, or are those "limits" unreasonably conservative? It will be about a 2 to 2.5 hour drive back after getting the bike.

Obviously, if there is any reasonable risk I'll go with option B and rent a uhaul trailer, but even that isn't great as I don't have a wiring harness on the truck for trailer lights..

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
My advice would be to rent a U-haul trailer, that's a lot of bike inertia for a hitch mounted carrier, IMO...

Better safe, than sorry...

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
^^^x2. We'd definitely rather see pictures of your new toy intact, once you get it.
:cheers:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you're both right.. that would be a nightmare to see my new bike bouncing down the street behind the truck. Guess I have to get my hands on the wiring converter kit for trailer lights and get it installed asap.. here's a picture of the bike in the meantime..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice duke R. I have a 690 SMR and I race an RC8R.

I haul the racebike to the track on the Versahaul. Works fine but I need new rear springs because it's starting to sag. I use a class IV draw-tite hitch.

Edit: just noticed this thread is a year old. Nice zombie thread first post newb move. Sorry, dudes. :) :) :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet RC8R! That's a hell of a track bike, I'm sure. I am actually selling the SDR and was toying with also selling my original copper hayabusa to fund an RC8R, but I don't think I can part with the copper. It was my first dream bike, and it works well for street riding. I track a gixxer 750 myself, and picked up a little NSR 50 for miniGP that I'm giving a try this season.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gixxer750 is an awesome track weapon. 750ccs of power in a 600 frame. I'm pretty sure some guys are illegally running them in the 600 class. :) :)

I like the RC8 a lot but as you know anything KTM is stupidly expensive, so racing it has cost more than the car that is hauling it. I love the bike and I'm in too far to change course but a gixxer or an SV would have done the job for a lot less money. Not to mention availability of spares etc.

Last weekend at Infineon someone put a bike down and the announcer put out a call for "does anyone have a spare brake lever to fit a gixxer or SV?" The guy was back up and riding in half and hour.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone else used one of these for a street bike? I was thinking of using the Versahaul for a Honda CB500f (425lbs) wet. Close to the 500b limit.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
I have a yamaha r6. If I absolutely can't ride it. I put it on a trailer. I know folks that use the hitch carriers. But I have a hard time putting any faith in them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Makes me nervous too. The hitch mount is much easier than a trailer. Want to take the bike away with me and some of the highways don't permit trailers, so it would be backroads. Wonder if there's a way to add some support to it, so it's not just relying on the hitch. All in it should be about 500-525lbs.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I think the limiting issue is the Factory FJ hitch just not up to the job. Between the wet weight of your bike and the Versahaul weight you likely have close to 600 pounds leveraging on a pretty light bolt on designed hitch. I would upgrade the hitch if you will be carrying the bike this way often or go with a trailer. So much better to weigh on the side of caution, go with a forsure thing then be kicking yourself for wrecking both your bike and FJ.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
How thick is the tubing that slides into the hitch? I built my own and hauled an xr 650 r on it. That bike with the big tank full of fuel weighed almost 350 lbs. I'd put the weight of your bike on the rack and then stand on the carrier, jump up and down and see if you can get it to bend. I'll bet it won't. Companies have to error on the side of caution when putting capacities on everything they make.

If you have a roof rack perhaps run a couple straps from the top of the bike to the very base of it on both sides. I know the OEM racks are garbage but it you tie to the bottom of the bracket you will gain enough strength to assist in the load and keep it from bouncing. Steel has to bend a whole bunch before it breaks. If it does bend half way home, take the bike off, take the whole carrier out and install it up side down, and load the bike back up. Another idea is to slide another piece of tubing or pipe inside the carrier tube prior to slipping it in your receiver hitch. If you use pipe, pound rebar inside to tighten it up. Common sense and redneck ingenuity at its best.

As far as springs go, I found a killer deal on a CRF 450R 6 hrs away. I took off in the Super Duty first thing in the am. It broke down big time. Took the shop three days to fix it. Meanwhile, I slid my carrier into the hitch of my Wife's Honda CRV and headed out of state.
Sure that car sagged with the bike on there, but nothing rubbed and it made it home just fine.

Use your own judgment. I have no idea what hitch or carrier you have. It could be made out of balsa wood for all I know.

Good luck !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is funny. Will have to check the towing capacity of a 500cc bike! I looked at the dolly which seems like a good option, but Honda says you shouldn't tow it that way. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, since the most I'll be going is about 200miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The weight capacity is so close that I was hoping to avoid a trailer, but if that's the safest route I can always rent one from u-haul. They're pretty cheap. You can't take the trailers on highways around here and I have no room to store a trailer at the apartment complex I live in. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
I'd probably rent one to do the job. You'd be borrowing it and not buying it. so once your done you don't have to worry over it anymore. Then play with that other hitch thing in the parkinglot or whatever. At least then there would be no pressure.

I can't imagine not being able to take a trailer on a highway.
Here in the south you would think it was some kind of fashion statement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah. We have parkways near me that don't allow trucks or trailers. I think I'll rent, take the interstates and see if it's really as big a pita as I envision. Seems to be the safer route. New bike--why risk it. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts