Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the 06/07 models are getting cheaper I'm sure we will be seeing a steady increase in SAS's done to FJ's. Lately in the selling section I've seen a lot of IFS parts for sale because of SAS. I ALSO had not seen any other axle but a dana 60 or diamond housing used up front for these conversions (I'm sure some of you have seen different). Either way this guy is using a dana 44 (first I've seen/not sure if it would have been my choice but none the less not all of us have an endless bank account) up front on his FJ and I thought this video was pretty awesome of it on about the same terrain showing the ability of the SAS with only 37" tires mounted up (can't imagine what the difference in the video would have been if he went with a dana 60 up front with 40's, or something like Ben's casper TT build) compared to the IFS setup.

Although it would also be interesting to see how a front and rear LT kit while retaining the IFS (w/front and rear lockers) would do on this terrain compared to the SAS, I still thought this was a cool video comparison.

Either way I saw this guy on the forums before (RoseCityCzar - Larry). He said he's running "High pinion Dana 44 out of a 77-79 ford with chevy stuff on the ends.
37" goodyear MTR's."

His Build

I'd like to see how more of these SAS rigs end up in the near future.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Thats Rosecityczar's rig. He's a member on here and RST.

It would be better to compare that against SouthTexas Cruiser rig with LT front IFS and the 3 Link Rear rather than the 3" lIFS ift that Rosecityczar's had. Can be done for less or the same pricepoint as SAS and still retain factory electronics. Play as well on the rocks and even better in the desert. With MT in the process of running 36" tires on an IFS, I'm sure it won't be long until others are running 37" tires on 3" lifts for a direct comparison.

Definitely some nice solidaxle builds out there, but an apples to apples comparison needs to be done.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Dana 60 Is the Preferd, but tends to be the Expensive. Dana 44 is just as readly availlable in junk yards and shops, but tend to be less costly.(less demand)
Most doing the SAS, or building Rigs, Go with the 60 for its Strength. I have run 44's on a D44 with no issues, but I wasnt pounding it to death on rocks all the time mainly trails and ALot of MUD.
I am trying to FInd a set of Dana 70's For the front and rear, and run 39's or maybe even 42's when I go SAS in about 2 yrs. :cheers:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although it would also be interesting to see how a front and rear LT kit while retaining the IFS (w/front and rear lockers) would do on this terrain compared to the SAS, I still thought this was a cool video comparison.

Either way I saw this guy on the forums before (RoseCityCzar - Larry). He said he's running "High pinion Dana 44 out of a 77-79 ford with chevy stuff on the ends.
37" goodyear MTR's."

His Build
Thats Rosecityczar's rig. He's a member on here and RST.

It would be better to compare that against SouthTexas Cruiser rig with LT front IFS and the 3 Link Rear rather than the 3" lIFS ift that Rosecityczar's had.
Hahah, we were thinkin the same thing :rofl:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only reason why I post this up here as well is because I have a had multiple friends dis the IFS (of course what else is new) and they all say why don't you just do an SAS FJ thats what I would do.

For one, I haven't seen one (aside from rosecitys which is relatively new) that has been under god knows how much money to build or isn't totally custom (I don't have close to those type of fabrication skills). On top of that, there AREN'T any SAS "KITS" like there are for the older Tacomas because the FJ is relatively new I'm guessing, so technically every SAS done to an FJ IS totally custom.

To top this off, if I was going to spend money to do a SAS conversion. I would want top of the line stuff like the previous builds which would in turn cost a fortune. I'll stick with LT for now.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Also have to consider weight of rig when selecting the axle. Hence why most go with a D60 or Diamond.
Exactly, the FJC is no lite weight. Once you add things like bumpers, armor,winch,recovery gear,extra fuel, water and all your personal gear it is easy to push the FJC up in the 6K range. If you are going to do all the work to put in a solid axle, pay up front and use a 60 at.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also have to consider weight of rig when selecting the axle. Hence why most go with a D60 or Diamond.
yeah thats true, I guess in the end.... SAS is cool. but I have no munee for it hahah

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
For one, I haven't seen one (aside from rosecitys which is relatively new) that has been under god knows how much money to build or isn't totally custom (I don't have close to those type of fabrication skills). On top of that, there AREN'T any SAS "KITS" like there are for the older Tacomas because the FJ is relatively new I'm guessing, so technically every SAS done to an FJ IS totally custom.

To top this off, if I was going to spend money to do a SAS conversion. I would want top of the line stuff like the previous builds which would in turn cost a fortune. I'll stick with LT for now.
Once you are finished with the front axle you are then going to have to do something with the rear axle as well. A great many of us have taken out rear axle gears and aside from a bad batch of ring gears, most were caused by being undersized for the weight of the rig and gear.

I D60 or 70 for the rear and new suspension geometry is the only way to go and get a good mix between front and rear. By that time, asuming you have already put in a different T-case, you are well over $20K, in just drive train and shocks.

I think this is why you aree seeing a good amount of people buying FJ80s and FJ60/62s. FJ80s are pretty nimble when set up right and you can buy one and get it trail ready for under that $20K, and you still have your FJC.

All kinds of choices.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Once you are finished with the front axle you are then going to have to do something with the rear axle as well. A great many of us have taken out rear axle gears and aside from a bad batch of ring gears, most were caused by being undersized for the weight of the rig and gear.
Great points Stan. That was the main driver for me going with a 60 on my 3 link rear. I'd rather keep the weak link at the CVs. Blowing up Transfercases and Difs isn't fun.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I D60 or 70 for the rear and new suspension geometry is the only way to go and get a good mix between front and rear. By that time, asuming you have already put in a different T-case, you are well over $20K, in just drive train and shocks.

I think this is why you aree seeing a good amount of people buying FJ80s and FJ60/62s. FJ80s are pretty nimble when set up right and you can buy one and get it trail ready for under that $20K, and you still have your FJC.

All kinds of choices.
Yeah, I'm about to regear tomorrow. Blew up both my cvs yesterday as well so I dont know if I should replace them with the same thing or try rcv out.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I love my SAS. OVer 3500 miles, a bunch of wheeling trips, and no big issues so far. Oh, and I daily drive it over 60miles a day, of which 50 of that is freeway use sitting on 70MPH. It works. 11MPG if i keep boost down, I didnt spend more then my budget of 10K to do the Solid axle conversion. Thats everything, axles, atlas, tires. the works. Granted most of it was used stuff that i ended up rebuilding but eh, didnt break the bank, So i cant complain.

Oh yes i can. Im selling it.

Going to miss this truck :(

I dont miss breaking my truck everytime i took it out with my buddies. CVs, tie rod ends inner and outer, Alignments, and the biggy blowing my nitro gears and front diff up. Even the Total chaos kits have weak points. I broke MIR207s TC kit at the dinky steering extensions. That took out the CV as well. Total chaos told me never to tell anyone. Whoops.

Sure, i should have bought a JK. Oh well. I had the FJ, i did what i wanted to do.

This site hasnt always been friendly to SAS conversions, for that you want to head over to rocksolidtoys.com.

:)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Wow...I would've chickend out and whinched...

:)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SAS will for sure always be on top for rock crawling and less breakage, but I just dont have the resources and there isnt a shop in a couple hundred miles that could do a SAS. most likely. May car is the only one of its kind in my town and others around it therefore no shops around to do that type of work

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
After dealing with the nightmare front end that was the Jeep Wrangler, I would never want a front solid axle on any vehicle I ever owned again.

·
Registered
817 Posts
After dealing with the nightmare front end that was the Jeep Wrangler, I would never want a front solid axle on any vehicle I ever owned again.

Lol. Im the oppisate, the Fj was the first IFS vehicle ive owned, after dealing with the nightmare front end that was the FJ, i'll never have another IFS truck (that i plan to wheel) again. :)
Anyway, im no longer an FJ owner, so my opinion doesnt count :)

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
SAS will for sure always be on top for rock crawling and less breakage, but I just dont have the resources and there isnt a shop in a couple hundred miles that could do a SAS. most likely. May car is the only one of its kind in my town and others around it therefore no shops around to do that type of work

Might want to check that statement again. Look at what type of suspension won KOH this past year - IFS. An IFS can be built as robust as a SA...the IFS was that won KOH was quicker in the rocks than its SA counterparts.

For the cost of a SA front end on an FJ (that is appropriately sized for the weight) you can build a pretty beefy IFS front end thats reliabile. Not against a SA at all...in fact I looked real hard at swapping a currie rockjock on the front end, but decided to keep the IFS for now. It all depends on where you are designing your failure points in the suspension/drivetrain.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Personally id love to see a ifs setup (under an FJ) as strong as a SAS setup (under a fj). KOH rigs arnt really comparable to an FJ no matter what some of ya'all think. Trying to keep it cost effective here. That IFS front end probably cost more then a FJ does brand new lol.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts