Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is the FJ in trouble? I was at the dealer this past weekend having something fixed (wipers stopped working for some reason, at the worst time in a thunder storm!) and the sales liar told me to sell my FJ and buy a hybrid Highlander. he claims that the FJ is in big trouble and this dealer is no longer carrying them (special order only) which I find totally hard to believe!!!!

but i just saw a short news clip just now saying Toyota sales are down and then they showed an FJ.

how bad can this get? production stopping on the FJ? then us FJ owners will truly have something special! but i highly doubt that. I admit yes gas is killing me but I still will own the FJ (unless gas goes up to $8 gal!) then the FJ is going to be put away and i'll start taking the bus.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Huh? That's just plain silly....here in So Cal, they are selling. Not as fast as they once were, but they are still showing up on dealership lots and being sold almost as fast. I think you hit it on the head..."sales liar."

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Yeah...trade in the FJ where he'll give you next to nothing for it, then sell you a hybrid at MSRP. He makes a big commission and you get screwed.

You hit the nail on the head when you described him as "sales liar".

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
So is the FJ in trouble? I was at the dealer this past weekend having something fixed (wipers stopped working for some reason, at the worst time in a thunder storm!) and the sales liar told me to sell my FJ and buy a hybrid Highlander. he claims that the FJ is in big trouble and this dealer is no longer carrying them (special order only) which I find totally hard to believe!!!!

but i just saw a short news clip just now saying Toyota sales are down and then they showed an FJ.

how bad can this get? production stopping on the FJ? then us FJ owners will truly have something special! but i highly doubt that. I admit yes gas is killing me but I still will own the FJ (unless gas goes up to $8 gal!) then the FJ is going to be put away and i'll start taking the bus.

Damn it Madmac, I just had to wipe beer off my screen, lip and shirt. The bit highlighted above is priceless.

Likely to show your description of him is accurate, I'm sure they'll have some on the lot next week. He's a simple minded lowlife cretin that is just trying to get a sale, no matter the cost to anyone else.

There have been rumors of production stoppage, but I don't think it'll happen for at least another year. In any case, they still have a glut of them and they will still sell, right to the very last one.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Yeah I agree.....I see more and more around my neck of the woods. And there are more than a few used ones showing up on used car lots that have been brought up from the states what with the almost at par dollar. Some of them are even arriving up here with a few familiar mods....Cool to see.

This morning on Headline News (Robin Meade.....yummalish!!!) they were talking about how Toyota was soooo close to taking over sales leader from Chevrolet.... Talk about hurting .....Try working for Chev these days...And they have already announced they are discontinuing the H2!!!!!

We have the keeper folks!!!

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
My sales person told me that there was a strike at the truck plant and that FJs were going to slow down production so I had better buy the one she was selling. Bunch of crap! what truck strike and oh FJ is made in japan. Then they came down $4000 to make the deal. all SUVs are slowing, down get a deal. go ahead and pay more for an economical piece of crap or save the money and put it towards gas and enjoy driving your FJ.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
nah, sales might have slowed down a bit, but toyota still is moving them

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I believe it is not just the fj, it is all mfrs slowing down building anything but hybrid and hi gas mileage vehicles just due to the gas price, it is all about cash flow and they want to keep that coming in. and so:bandit: sales are down so will production. no brainer imo:bandit:

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
i'm sure if toyota could turn back the clock they wouldn't have built that new state of the art tundra plant down in san antonio.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Sad thing is I notice the dealer I bought my Fj from had 37 Fjs at there lot when I bought mine last year. I just check there site the other day to check on a 09 Corolla for my friend. I notice they only had 10 Fjs. My thoughts where OH NO.
I also see TT being offered for 27k now. And used Fjs in decent shape showing up for 17k in really good condition.

·
Registered
613 Posts
So why would a production stoppage mean that you should hurry up and get rid of your FJ to get a hybrid anyway? I don't get it. I already have an FJ. I'd like them to keep manufacturing them, but it has zero impact on me at all. Mine is already in the garage.

Did you ask how a production stoppage of the FJ = need to buy a hybrid? I am failing to grasp the salesperson's "logic".

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
All car, truck, and suv sales suck:

June car sales plummet for nearly all automakers
By TOM KRISHER and DEE-ANN DURBIN (AP Auto Writers)
From Associated Press
July 01, 2008 7:36 PM EST
DETROIT - Nearly all the major automakers reported steep sales declines for June, but for General Motors at least there was consolation: Toyota, its leading international competition, had it worse.

Even Toyota, with its flexible, efficient factories, couldn't make the shift from trucks to cars as quickly as American drivers. Its sales for June shrank 21 percent.

So the Japanese automaker fell short of some analysts' predictions that it would overtake GM as the U.S. sales leader. June sales at GM had a still-dramatic drop of about 18 percent.

The overall market fell 18.3 percent, according to Autodata Corp. It was the worst June for the industry in 17 years, said Jesse Toprak, chief industry analyst for auto information site Edmunds.com, who predicted more misery ahead.

Toprak said automakers simply did not react quickly enough to the staggering rise of gas prices.

"I think the gas price rise that we've seen from March through June was so fast and so dramatic that even Toyota, which is known to really forecast consumer demand, was caught off guard," he said.

The shrinking market continued its shift toward more fuel-efficient models. Some automakers were caught with too few of the smaller cars.

That includes Toyota Motor Corp., which didn't have enough of its fuel-efficient Prius, Corolla or Yaris cars at dealerships to keep up with demand. Prius sales were hurt by a battery shortage, while sales of the Corolla and Yaris suffered because of plant capacity.

When consumer tastes change as quickly they have this year, it's tough for automakers to react in a matter of months. Additional workers have to be brought in to factories and trained to build different cars.

Ford has been trying to raise output of the lone factory near Detroit that makes the Focus compact, but still couldn't meet demand this month. Both GM and Ford have announced plans for new subcompacts, but it will take at least two years to gear up factories for the new products.

"That just shows the market forces changed extremely fast. No automaker was ready for it," he said.

Only Honda Motor Co., whose lineup is tilted toward smaller and more fuel-efficient cars, reported a sales increase for June - slightly over 1 percent. Honda car sales were up nearly 20 percent, truck sales down 24 percent.

Elsewhere, the picture was far worse. Nissan Motor Co. reported sales off nearly 18 percent. Sales at Ford Motor Co., which still relies on trucks and sport utility vehicles, plunged almost 28 percent. And Chrysler LLC took a huge hit - down nearly 36 percent.

To help boost sales, Chrysler said it would extend its offer of $2.99 per gallon gas through July 31. It had been scheduled to expire July 7. Chrysler pays the difference between $2.99 and the pump price for 12,000 miles a year under the offer.

The promotion started in May, but car sales at Chrysler still fell by almost half. Its truck sales dropped 30 percent.

The overall market dropped to about 1.2 million vehicles sold, down more than 266,000 from last June. U.S. car sales were down about 10 percent for the first half of this year.

Ford sold 41 percent fewer of its perennial bestseller, the F-series pickup truck, and it sold fewer than half the number of Explorer SUVs as it did in June 2007.

George Pipas, Ford's top sales analyst, said SUV sales are probably down for good.

"Our view is that gas prices aren't likely to go down, and more importantly, many consumers have moved on," he said. "We believe that the segment has merit for certain consumers but is not likely to rebound at any point."

Toyota overtook General Motors Corp. in global sales earlier this year. It passed GM for global vehicle production last year.

GM reported selling about 262,000 vehicles in June, about 69,000 more than Toyota. Car sales were down 21 percent at GM and 9 percent at Toyota. Truck sales were down 16 percent at GM and nearly 39 percent at Toyota.

Ford stock sank to a 52-week low of $4.41 early Tuesday but recovered to finish at $4.71, down 10 cents. The shares have traded as high as $9.64 over the past year.

GM managed to beat analyst estimates. Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president of North American sales, said it was not possible to figure out how much GM's month-ending three-day sale boosted June sales.

Shares of GM - which on Monday traded at their lowest point in more than half a century, according to the Center for Research in Security Prices at the University of Chicago - rose 25 cents Tuesday to close at $11.75.

The Associated Press reports unadjusted auto sales figures, calculating the percentage change in the total number of vehicles sold in one month compared with the same month a year earlier. Some automakers report percentages adjusted for sales days. There were 24 sales days last month, three fewer than in June 2007.

---

AP Business Writer Bree Fowler in New York contributed to this report.

---

On the Net:

Ford Motor Co.: Ford Motor Company: Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Hybrids, Parts - Ford

Toyota Motor Corp.: Toyota Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Accessories

General Motors Corp: General Motors | Corporate Website | GM

Honda Motor Co.: Honda Cars Motorcycles Watercraft ATVs Engines Generators, Acura

Chrysler LLC: Official Chrysler site - Autos, Cars, Minivans, SUVs, Convertibles, Sedans, Crossovers

Nissan Motor Co.: Nissan USA - Nissan Cars, Trucks, Crossovers, SUVs, Hybrid

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

EarthLink.net Web Mail Biz Center My Account Support
Matt R signout
© 2008 EarthLink, Inc. All rights reserved.
Members and visitors to the EarthLink Web site agree to abide by our Policies and Agreements.
EarthLink Privacy Policy
Submit your Feedback

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
So why would a production stoppage mean that you should hurry up and get rid of your FJ to get a hybrid anyway? I don't get it. I already have an FJ. I'd like them to keep manufacturing them, but it has zero impact on me at all. Mine is already in the garage.

Did you ask how a production stoppage of the FJ = need to buy a hybrid? I am failing to grasp the salesperson's "logic".
Thank you! This is exactly what i was thinking when i read the original post. Why the hell does the falling sales of the Fj mean that you should have to trade yours in for somthing else?

Is the FJ sales down? Of course. Gas is sky high and the FJ has its "newcar flavor" so to speak. (basicly meaning just not as popular when it first came out). Like
gottagetone said, every manufacter is feeling it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
fwiw toyota will be making hybrid versions of all their vehicles within the next 10 years. currently toyota is spending over 1 million a day on the development of hybrid technology and how to efficiently and effectively mass produce it for cost effectiveness.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i think his logic was to "save me money in the long run" :simmadown: he even told me that they sold two FJs to another private independent dealership down the road so they wouldn't lose money. I saw a TT model in their lot and he said that was a special order that someone backed out on and its been on the lot for 2 months now. He goes like, "huh, you interested in trading in your standard FJ for a TT?" :rofl: but he did warn me it was even worse on gas than the standard FJ

In general i bet they are dying for a sale, no matter what it is. Desperate. hence why he said the things he said. nice guy but maybe mis-informed...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts