Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
yeah he was hanging upside down and pressed the button...lol head to roof
The one rollover I've ever been in the driver did the same thing. :lol: Just a little cut to his bald head but still. I braced my feet on the ceiling THEN hit the seat belt release.

Sorry I couldn't chime in earlier. I was out of the house. Any updates?

X2 on what Sean said above. Whatever he does, tell him not to try using the roof rack. It'll just come off. If it's on its side, he should be able to pull it over with a strap.

EDIT! If he can get to the emergency brake safely, tell him to pull it! And put the vehicle into park.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Sorry to here this. But glad everyone is ok and the Fj is back on all 4.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
I'm thinking one word... INSURANCE. Forget working on it draining oil etc Get it towed and let the professionals deal with it, so you don't do anything that won't be covered, because you caused more damage.
File a claim and be done with it. It sounds like they will total it anyway

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
I'm thinking one word... INSURANCE. Forget working on it draining oil etc Get it towed and let the professionals deal with it, so you don't do anything that won't be covered, because you caused more damage.
That's some sound advice, Don. :cheers: Unless the guy is a mechanic and knows what to do. Even then...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm with you 100% !! I think it may be done... thats upsetting I did a lot of stuff to that ride :mecry: he better get those TRD rims off it!!

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
How much MPG would we lose if Toyota included some kind of (even minor) roll-cage in the FJ?

Not that it would have really helped save the vehicle from being 'totaled' in the eyes of the insurance company in this particular situation, but if it hadn't been in snow, and if it had been going faster (doesn't seem like it was a very fast roll-over event), who knows what could have happened to the occupants.

I'm really glad everyone's OK (well, except for the driver's scalp).

Man, this must really suck.
I feel for you (him), bro.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
How much MPG would we lose if Toyota included some kind of (even minor) roll-cage in the FJ?

Not that it would have really helped save the vehicle from being 'totaled' in the eyes of the insurance company in this particular situation, but if it hadn't been in snow, and if it had been going faster (doesn't seem like it was a very fast roll-over event), who knows what could have happened to the occupants.

I'm really glad everyone's OK (well, except for the driver's scalp).

Man, this must really suck.
I feel for you (him), bro.
The FJ does really well in roll overs, at lest in all the ones I've seen (3 or 4). And adding a roll cage isn't needed unless your racing around in the desert at high speed or doing some extreme rock crawling.

Update more pics!!!
That doesn't look as bad as I was expecting, the windshield didn't even break.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
TinCan said:

windshield did break and I think the right side is worst
Must of taken pics of her good side. :(

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
The FJ does really well in roll overs, at lest in all the ones I've seen (3 or 4). And adding a roll cage isn't needed unless your racing around in the desert at high speed or doing some extreme rock crawling.
You don't have to be racing it (obviously this guy wasn't going extremely fast when he rolled it. Otherwise it would be much worse) to be going at a high enough rate of speed to have it be nasty if you happen to get into some kind of collision situation in which it ends up rolling over.

I don't need a lesson in when it may or may not be helpful to have a roll cage. I'm just curious about how much MPG would be sacrificed, and whether or not one could be created out of lighter material which, although it wouldn't give all of the protection of a real, full-sized, beafy roll cage, would be a significant added layer of protection in such cases.

Actually, I think I see cracks in the upper passenger side of the windshield in the photos that he just posted. ....yes?....no?

Of course, it would probably be nicer for the owner to have it 'totalled' at this point, but it sure would be great advertising for Toyota if he were to get it back to a livable driving condition.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Brad, I am so sorry buddy....... You did put ALOT of work into that rig! Thank goodness I got the exhaust, rear speakers, shorty antena.... Wish I had gotten that that tow pack off of it too......

I hope that the insurance will total it. That way, he can start over. I agree, get those TRD rims off of it before they squish it.....

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
As in the words of spicoli!
My dad's got this awsome set of tools dude, we can fix it

Glad your friend is alright..I would have called a tow truck:lol: and insurance:D COVERED!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts