Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! First time poster here...great forum! Saw my first FJ Cruiser the other night at the Beverly Hilton parked in valet in Voodoo Blue...loved it! Ok, so I've decided I need one :D My questions are:

1) What are the lease residuals through TMCC for 24, 36 and 48 mos
2) What are the MF for tier 1 for 24, 36 and 48 mos

I always go into a dealership knowing the numbers (don't ever let them fool you!). I've never paid a penny over sticker for any of my cars and never will. I can wait if need be. I've purchased several cars from Longo already, but have not talked to anyone yet. Doesn't seem like there's much dealer profit in these from invoice, so I would guess $500-$1,000 below MSRP should be realistic in the coming months, but I'm more interested in the other lease variables outside the Cap Cost. TIA!

Also, has anyone towed an open trailer with this thing yet? Just curious as to how well it did. I can't imagine they won't make a V8 available in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Blair - Why not just buy the thing you're going to get killed on a lease.Are you trying to save money or are you one that just likes to lease.Moneys most likely not that big of an issue for you if your buying a ferrari 430,I almost bought a ferrari 1989 328, but I figgered engine work would have killed me$.My dealer said the fj will most likely be made for only 3 years, you may not want to wait.
 

·
fka JimmyHoops
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
BlairWarlock,

Nice garage....how do you choose with so many fine vehicles in your stable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tjbfjforme said:
Blair - Why not just buy the thing you're going to get killed on a lease.
Toyota's generally have a pretty good resale value, which usually means a nice high residual. I'm just curious what the MF on these are (which is usually high on a hot-selling item). Honestly, I never thought I would buy a Toyota until I drove my first LC a few years ago..wow! Sold the Rover that same week.

Are you trying to save money or are you one that just likes to lease.
With gas prices the way they are, we should ALL try to save money...lol. I only have 700 miles on the M5 and at about 11mpg (when I'm lucky), I think I'm having to fill her up almost daily :( Anyway, I lease when it makes sense to lease and would rather put my money to work elsewhere. I don't like keeping trucks very long so I usually lease anything that sees dirt :)

Moneys most likely not that big of an issue for you if your buying a ferrari 430,I almost bought a ferrari 1989 328, but I figgered engine work would have killed me$.
I've had 3 Ferrari's, and yes the older cars are $$$ for maintenance and service. I recall on my 355 Spider, the 30k miles service which you normally do at about 10-15k miles is roughly $8k! The newer cars are not as bad since you don't need to remove the engine now to perform a valve job! The 360 maintenance was fairly palatable, relative to Ferrari, as is the 550.

My dealer said the fj will most likely be made for only 3 years, you may not want to wait.
Well I'm not going to wait that long. I just think it unethical to charge above sticker for any car. I would have a 430 now, but if I wanted one today I'd have to pay $30k-$40k above MSRP, so I wait a few more months! It's all relative and $2,500 on a $21,000 FJ is ridiculous! I negotiate well so I will keep you posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JimmyHoops said:
BlairWarlock,

Nice garage....how do you choose with so many fine vehicles in your stable?
Thanks. To be honest, the LC is a great daily driver (another guzzler though), and the chassis is solid and drives like a car so I enjoy it even through corners! However, I traded an SL55 (which I didn't care much for) for the M5 and it's been very tough getting back into the LC since getting the M5 and I haven't even broken the M5 in yet :)
 

·
fka JimmyHoops
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
Blairwarlock said:
Thanks. To be honest, the LC is a great daily driver (another guzzler though), and the chassis is solid and drives like a car so I enjoy it even through corners! However, I traded an SL55 (which I didn't care much for) for the M5 and it's been very tough getting back into the LC since getting the M5 and I haven't even broken the M5 in yet :)
Off topic, but did you ever test drive the Porsche Carrerra GT. It looks like it's doin' 200mph. standing still. Hope to have a garage like yours someday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
JimmyHoops said:
Off topic, but did you ever test drive the Porsche Carrerra GT. It looks like it's doin' 200mph. standing still. Hope to have a garage like yours someday.
I've been fortunate enough to have driven (or ridden in) just about every car I've been able to drool over. I've driven the Carrera GT a few times....the last time being on the racetrack at Willow Springs a couple months ago (as a hobby, I race as well as instruct a lot of the 360/430 Challenge drivers and some Porsche POC/PCA guys as well). One of my friends and students had just picked up a beautiful black CGT...no better way to break her in! :D Even if I could afford it, not sure I could spend that kind of money on a car. I do LOVE the CGT though...there are no words to describe the sound of that exhaust. As a comparison, I was given a Mercedes SLR for 5 days (friend's) and I have also ridden in (never driven) an Enzo. I even got a ride last week in a Bugatti Veyron right before it was delivered to its new owner (wow!!). But of all these cars, I would take the CGT hands down. I'm just waiting until they come down in price and maybe I'll sell a few cars and pick one up!

If you're curious, the fastest I've driven on the street is 204mph in a Porsche RUF Turbo. Fastest I've gone on the race track is 177mph in a Diablo VTTT (Twin Turbo). Holy sh** is right!! :eek: It's good to live in LA!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Blair-My boss has a rather nice garage full as well.
04 911 twin turbo with X50 package
05 cheyenne turbo
06 SL65 covt,which he picks up next week he is trading in his 05 600
02 NSX
sometimes I wish I was the boss instead of the peon
he almost bought a 355 in 02 (2000 miles on it)the chicago dealer said its one of the most reliable ferraris ever made.He decided on the 911T x50 instead
p.s. his poor wife only has one car a 05 M3, she doesen't know the difference from a regular 3series, but what would his friends of said if he just bought her a 330 .
If I'm ever in your neck off the woods you can drive my fj for the day,and i'll drive the GT3.
I pick up my fj tuesday

P.S. someone that lives near my parents has a carrera GT,my dad has seen it go by his house twice in the last month(silver).I asked are dealer who bought it and they said they can't tell ?I guess the original customer backed out and lost his $35,0000 deposit. Ouch!






Take care,

Troy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tjbfjforme said:
Blair-My boss has a rather nice garage full as well.
04 911 twin turbo with X50 package
05 cheyenne turbo
06 SL65 covt,which he picks up next week he is trading in his 05 600
02 NSX
sometimes I wish I was the boss instead of the peon
he almost bought a 355 in 02 (2000 miles on it)the chicago dealer said its one of the most reliable ferraris ever made.He decided on the 911T x50 instead
p.s. his poor wife only has one car a 05 M3, she doesen't know the difference from a regular 3series, but what would his friends of said if he just bought her a 330 .
If I'm ever in your neck off the woods you can drive my fj for the day,and i'll drive the GT3.
I pick up my fj tuesday

P.S. someone that lives near my parents has a carrera GT,my dad has seen it go by his house twice in the last month(silver).I asked are dealer who bought it and they said they can't tell ?I guess the original customer backed out and lost his $35,0000 deposit. Ouch!

The 996 TT makes a great daily driver. Albeit it doesn't have the WOW factor of a 355, but it's faster (especially with the X50 package), much more practical (relative!) and has a far less COO (cost of ownership).

Yeah, many ppl changed their mind on the CGT. Porsche really shot themselves in the foot by producing way too many cars than the market could demand. This drove prices WAY down. Many dealers had to sell them for their invoice just to get rid of them as it costs them thousands a day to have it on the showroom. I think a few dealers STILL have them sitting around...same with the SLR. Very unfortunate. This is where Ferrari shines...make a VERY limited run (ONE less than the market will bear) and all are pre-sold before the car is even released. You still can't buy an Enzo for less than $900,000...but you can have a CGT or SLR for peanuts ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Blair, what do you do for a living? Sounds like I'm in the wrong line of work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Blair- I heard they{ferrari) only offered Enzo's to past ferrari customers,like for instance Tommy Hilfiger.Is that true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
tjbfjforme said:
Blair - My dealer said the fj will most likely be made for only 3 years, you may not want to wait.
Dealers did not even know S**t about the FJ and he told you it would only be made for 3 years. Toyota is not going to stop making a money maker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
JLam said:
Blair, what do you do for a living? Sounds like I'm in the wrong line of work.
in the words of the oscar award winning song from the very eloquent group known as the '3 six mafia'...."It's hard out here for a PIMP...."

..but apprantly not for Blair ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Jim- They didn't make many of of the original fj's what makes you so sure their going to make a lot this time around. Toyota is considering this a limited production model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
tjbfjforme said:
Jim- They didn't make many of of the original fj's what makes you so sure their going to make a lot this time around. Toyota is considering this a limited production model.
Soooo..... everyone would run out and buy them.......You Americans cwazy yu so easy..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I think the 3 year residual is around 55% but the lease rate is not a special rate, same as paying around 6.5% rate i believe but there are no special lease rates on the Tacoma either!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,172 Posts
MauiJim1 said:
Dealers did not even know S**t about the FJ and he told you it would only be made for 3 years. Toyota is not going to stop making a money maker.
I'm still convinced this is a "showcase" example (for the US full-size truck market) of Toyota's ability to build substantial "trucky" trucks for an excellent cost for the quality. It touches a lot of nostalgia,and attracts young Xer's at the same time. .

This is a limited production vehicle. It was never intended to be a mainline vehicle. I have no idea how long the truck will be built, but I do know this:

They knew it would be wildly popular before it was even launched.

It will be a tough vehicle to lose on as far as leasing, from a residual perspective. Lower build numbers mean better value retention.....look at the Land Rover D90. Leasing would put a major crimp on mods though.

As far as a "moneymaker", the "money" comes later when Toyota conquers the domestic truck market. How many people have come to see this and taken a truck home? Tons, even a few original members here. Heck I've personally helped three folks not get porked myself.

Toyota residuals (if you lease through Toyota) are printed in the vehicle inquiry for that vehicle's specific option configuration. Toyota does not fully residualize all options, so they have calculated the residual in advance for the dealer.

I've forwarded these reports to the prospective owners of FJ's on here before, but I don't retain anyones VIN for their privacy. Maybe someone has an example.

Love Ya, Mean it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JLam said:
Blair, what do you do for a living? Sounds like I'm in the wrong line of work.
Believe me, no matter how much money one makes, there's always someone who makes much more to make us feel that we're in the wrong line of work. Let's see, this week I think I'm a secret agent man :D
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top