Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this might be interesting.
I'm due for my six month/5000mi maint. in the middle of August. What I'm doing is monitoring my driving habbits and logging my mpg's on each tank of gas.
When I do my maintenence I'll be using products most of which make a claim of some kind that they improve engine/drivetrain preformance, effieiency and gas mileage. I will be using these products; Mobil 1 5w-30, K&N HP-1002 oil filter, Royal Purple max-gear 75w-90 for the rear diff, amsoil Eaa238 air filter.
After the installation I'll drive the same and burn the same number of tanks, compare the mpg's and see if there will be a change.
Anyone have any other suggestions what I could do to whittle away at the mpg's?
Any bets if there'll be a lick of difference?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I thought this might be interesting.
I'm due for my six month/5000mi maint. in the middle of August. What I'm doing is monitoring my driving habbits and logging my mpg's on each tank of gas.
When I do my maintenence I'll be using products most of which make a claim of some kind that they improve engine/drivetrain preformance, effieiency and gas mileage. I will be using these products; Mobil 1 5w-30, K&N HP-1002 oil filter, Royal Purple max-gear 75w-90 for the rear diff, amsoil Eaa238 air filter.
After the installation I'll drive the same and burn the same number of tanks, compare the mpg's and see if there will be a change.
Anyone have any other suggestions what I could do to whittle away at the mpg's?
Any bets if there'll be a lick of difference?
No, you won't.

And, like everyone else who claims this mod affected that, these tires did this, this lift did that...unless one is in a controlled climate, controlled road/road conditions, same fuel, same speed and acceleration, exact same test path...i.e., everything is constant short of the mod, the outcome will be inconclusive, at best.

In other words, don't bother.:rofl:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
No, you won't.

And, like everyone else who claims this mod affected that, these tires did this, this lift did that...unless one is in a controlled climate, controlled road/road conditions, same fuel, same speed and acceleration, exact same test path...i.e., everything is constant short of the mod, the outcome will be inconclusive, at best.

yes because its rocket science to figure this stuff out....gimme a break

I can tell you 100% that changing my tires has affected my MPG stock dunlops I was getting 250 to 300 miles per tank just as empty light would trip......now I get 200 - 225 at best.......but I guess since we are not in controlled enviornments its absolutely pointless.....come on lol

To the OP I would be very interested in your findings....let us know and THANKS!

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
No, you won't.

That's a bit pessimistic don't you think? I disagree and think that if the OP does what they say they are going to do, if there is a noticable difference, they will detect it.

Good luck, have fun, and report back often! :)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
yes because its rocket science to figure this stuff out....gimme a break

I can tell you 100% that changing my tires has affected my MPG stock dunlops I was getting 250 to 300 miles per tank just as empty light would trip......now I get 200 - 225 at best.......but I guess since we are not in controlled enviornments its absolutely pointless.....come on lol

To the OP I would be very interested in your findings....let us know and THANKS!
So, what is it? A difference of 250 to 225, or a difference of 300-200, what say you? Exactly, inconclusive, at best.

And, a big "no duh," of course change tires from stockers to 33" or whatever you're running will effect fuel mileage, but can you tell me what it is EXACTLY?

That's a bit pessimistic don't you think? I disagree and think that if the OP does what they say they are going to do, if there is a noticable difference, they will detect it.
Nah, just realistic. There's just too many factors that can effect the outcome. Who's to say driving habits, and a sub-conscious lighter right foot don't come into play? This could easily sway or cancel out any added MPG gains from synthetic oil, gear oil, filters...to the point where nothing truly conclusive can be determined.

But, like you said, if the OP wants to have it, by all means. I just find it all a bit comical.:rofl:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I can tell you that slowing down to 65 MPH has put me at an average of 21MPG. I usually average around 17-18 running at 75 MPH+ and lead footing it

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You may have slight improvements, but I bet the biggest improvement is driving style modification. As NCFJ stated, slowing dowing to 65 really helps. Unloading all your gears when you don't need them also helps.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I can tell you that slowing down to 65 MPH has put me at an average of 21MPG. I usually average around 17-18 running at 75 MPH+ and lead footing it
Agreed. Went from Seattle to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho last week and got about 16.5 mpg the entire trip - all highway, going around 75-80 mph. This is with a 3" lift and 33" M/Ts, wife, kid and a lot of gear. I set the cruise for 65 on the way back and just took a little more time, listened to the stereo and relaxed. Got over 19 mpg on the way back. There didn't seem to be much difference in head/tail winds, just a lower avg. speed.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I drove realitively the same for 2 weeks on two different tanks back and forth to work, meetings, and job sites. Stayed out of the thing the 1st week except for once, the second week was a little more agressive got on it a couple of times. 16.5 one week, and 18.3 the other mellow week. Not enough to worry about in my opinion, 65 sounds like a good idea, but where I live you would be eaten alive for driving that on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
And, a big "no duh," of course change tires from stockers to 33" or whatever you're running will effect fuel mileage, but can you tell me what it is EXACTLY?

uhhh yea I could.....and so could everyone else LOL like I said its not rocket science einstein.....maybe you need to step back from your controlled climate tests cause the little things are going right over your head

·
Registered
135 Posts
soo many d'ck heads on this forum now.... survivorman, ur only gettin 225 a tank now?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
uhhh yea I could.....and so could everyone else LOL like I said its not rocket science einstein.....maybe you need to step back from your controlled climate tests cause the little things are going right over your head
So, what are they? Exact numbers, you still haven't answered the question. And, yes, to be exact, you'll need to factor in things (as a constant for comparison) like going uphill/downhill, traffic stops, speed, wind velocity, air pressure of your tires, passengers, cargo. I could go on and on. If you can't, then your calculation won't be exact, it will be a best guess. That's my point...not sure why you had to get overly sensitive about it. If you can't understand that, then it is you who are letting the little things go right over you head.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Air pressure in your tires will definitely make a difference in mpg. When I find my mpg is slipping a bit, I've often found that one or more of my tires have lost a bit of pressure. For daily on the road driving, I keep mine @ 43-45 psi.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I can tell you 100% that changing my tires has affected my MPG stock dunlops I was getting 250 to 300 miles per tank just as empty light would trip......now I get 200 - 225 at best.......
After getting my 285/75/16, I could not get 200 miles a tank.

I just picked up a set of used stock wheels and Dunlops tonight. I had no choice. My rig is a DD and I need more MPG.

The 285s will have to sit in the backyard for now. Maybe I can rent them out :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
After getting my 285/75/16, I could not get 200 miles a tank.

I just picked up a set of used stock wheels and Dunlops tonight. I had no choice. My rig is a DD and I need more MPG.

The 285s will have to sit in the backyard for now. Maybe I can rent them out :lol:
Poker, you can't get 200 to the tank?!!! Is your rig fully loaded all the time? I'm still able to get 230-250 miles to the light with the LTBs. I know you don't have a lead foot so your numbers surprised me.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Poker, you can't get 200 to the tank?!!! Is your rig fully loaded all the time? I'm still able to get 230-250 miles to the light with the LTBs. I know you don't have a lead foot so your numbers surprised me.
Dude....I don't know what's going on. I guess I really need to go on a diet. I get the low fuel light at 199. Scanguage says I get 13'ish MPG.

it's all his photo equipment weighing down the rear.:rofl:
That would be cool if that were true.

I also drive up and down a mountain to get back and forth from work.

I hope the stockers help me out.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I also switch tires when not wheeling. My rig looks dorky without the MTs but I get better MPG and am not wearing out my MTs. I prefer more money in my pocket than looking cool on the street.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts