Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, after all my questions over the last months i got my FJ yesterday. A 2012 FJ from Dubai , 6 speed, base model with 65000 km, imported last year to Germany. Drove it home for approx 900 km via Nuernberg and the FJ easily reached 180 km/h....... but 120 km/h was nice just below the stupid 120 km/h alarm beep. Used 12 l/ 100 km/h so far on the highway. Not bad.

So will clean the car and get some rust protection first. Nice car, better than my BMW 135 xi, much more comfortable and even more quite......my wifes likes to drive the FJ with MT more than the Auto in the BMW. We are old guys who like to be in control of a machine and not viseversa......

·
Premium Member
16,344 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I love the feeling of the Torsen center differential (fitted to the MT only) when accelerating hard out of a corner, or through a series of corners, the power self-distributes to whichever axle is getting more traction instantaneously, and in any increment needed, and so the traction and as a result, the handling is kind of "too good to be true" in situations like that.

Granted, a tall 4WD truck is not a sports car, but it sure is an interesting feeling when it does that.

Makes it easy to see why Audi's Quattro race car went from a back marker in the '70s to an unstoppable rally machine in the '80s (the difference was their adoption of the Torsen center diff around '79- they'd tried every other possible center diff strategy, up to then, but nothing else worked as well).

Norm

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hi Folks, after all my questions over the last months i got my FJ yesterday. A 2012 FJ from Dubai , 6 speed, base model with 65000 km, imported last year to Germany. Drove it home for approx 900 km via Nuernberg and the FJ easily reached 180 km/h....... but 120 km/h was nice just below the stupid 120 km/h alarm beep. Used 12 l/ 100 km/h so far on the highway. Not bad.

So will clean the car and get some rust protection first. Nice car, better than my BMW 135 xi, much more comfortable and even more quite......my wifes likes to drive the FJ with MT more than the Auto in the BMW. We are old guys who like to be in control of a machine and not viseversa......
Congratulations. Translations for us Americans:

65000 kms = 40000 miles. Nice low mileage find.

120 km/h = ~ 75 mph.

Crazy there is an alarm or beeping at this speed threshold. Out here in the Western US, 75 and 80 mph speed limits are pretty common away from the bigger cities.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Welcome

·
Desert Moderator
5,610 Posts
Welcome. What is the 120K alarm beep?
It's a GCC regulation, and a flashing light on the dash... It beeps 3 or 4 times as you pass through 120km/h then the light just flashes.
You get used to it...

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,070 Posts
You get used to it...
Haha... that's why warnings are pointless... you get used to it... and ignore it... car alarms, house alarms, warning bleepers... all get ignored in the end.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts