Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.
I want to put some off road tires on my FJ, 33 or 34's... something that will work well in the mud and trail...but also work for a daily driver.

I was looking at the following...
Toyo - open country
Mickey T's - Baja MTZ's
Pitbull - Rocker's

Let me know what you think of those 3 tires and what might be best for what I'm looking to do. (or if you've got any other fav's that you think I should check out that would be great too)

Thanks
AR

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Adam, I am running the Toyo Open Country MT's 33". I couldn't be happier I think with these tires. A little pricey but worth it. I got 5 so I can rotate the spare around. Even with the big lugs the road noise isn't very noticable. Even on the interstate at speed. They have done a great job in the snow and mud around here as well. Even in the water they did a great job in of all places leaving the parking lot at the plant I work at. 7 1/2" of rain that morning and drove through water just up to the bumper before it got lifted with no problems. Had them on since last September with little wear at all so far.
Hope this helps out on the decision some.
Zig

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well, you didn't list them, but I've put about 1,500 miles on my BFG Mud terrain KM2's and Love them! Noise isn't bad, ride is good, but they are pricey.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
X2, you might want to consider looking into some BFGs. Possibly the All Terrain KOs or the KM2s. They last forever!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to vote for the BFG AT's as well, I've ran them on my dodge for 5 years without problems - excellent in the dirt and snow (i know, i know, the mud...)
The MTZ's - my brother runs these on his dodge diesel and says they are the best tire he's ever had - and for what its worth , he changes tires more than underwear but has just got his second set of MTZ's.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Well, you didn't list them, but I've put about 1,500 miles on my BFG Mud terrain KM2's and Love them! Noise isn't bad, ride is good, but they are pricey.
I have the Toyos in a 33" - (295/70/17) and I'm happy with them but I'd check out the KM2s as well. If you're looking at the Toyo prices, I think they're in line with the KM2s. Spendy but worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
I've got the Toyo MT's and am impressed with the overall performance of the tire. I've been on the road, off the road, in the mud, way in the mud, on the rocks, in the water and on the highway. Good tire and they are wearing well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Went with the BFG TA KM 255/75/17. Real pleased so far. No issues with rubbing and gained 3/4" in height. Check around on price, I had mine out the door for $625 for 5.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
ive been running the pro comp ext at's..ive got 10,000...not even looking worn..quiet, reasonable, have 40,000 mile tread life warranty, good offroad, on highway..ck them out

·
Registered
226 Posts
If it's not too late, take a peek at the Cooper discovery STT's, and the ST's. I got the STT's and really love them. Not as loud as you might think. Great on the sand.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If it's not too late, take a peek at the Cooper discovery STT's, and the ST's. I got the STT's and really love them. Not as loud as you might think. Great on the sand.
Ditto......check out the Cooper ST and STT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys!
Now I've got the super tough choise picking one I like :)
thanks again!!!
AR

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello Everyone.
I want to put some off road tires on my FJ, 33 or 34's... something that will work well in the mud and trail...but also work for a daily driver.

I was looking at the following...
Toyo - open country
Mickey T's - Baja MTZ's
Pitbull - Rocker's

Let me know what you think of those 3 tires and what might be best for what I'm looking to do. (or if you've got any other fav's that you think I should check out that would be great too)

Thanks
AR
I would say go with the MTZ's. I had them installed yesterday and the rock. I got my stock size of 265 75 16 and they look bigger than my rugged trails that came with the FJ. Mickey is made by Cooper btw......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts