Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Forum. I have an 07 FJ. I replace the windshield wipers at least twice a year. In Michigan the snow and ice see seems to attach to the wiper blades like steel shavings to a magnet. Wiper on drivers side never makes a clean swipe. Any suggestions on third party wipers that work better?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I have heard that Trico Neoform wipers are good replacements for the stock blades....

:cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the recommendation for Trico blades. With only one response this obviously is not an issue with other FJ drivers. Or they just accept that the wipers are what they are.
In talking with a tech he indicated that the relative flatness of the FJ windshield causes snow/ice buildup faster, and adhesion to the blades, than windshields with more of a slope.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I use the Neoforms in the Northeast. RockAuto.com has the sizes we use.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Anco winter wipers are pretty good. I use 1 sixteen inch and 2 fifteen inch wipers. Yes the fifteen inch work just fine. There are lots of FJ owners with this problem and lots of threads on the subject. Do a search and you'll get enough info to make your head spin. Good luck. .........:cheers:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tried the NeoForms and they died in less than six months. The blade "rubber" peeld right off the driver side wiper when it got cold and started to snow here in central PA. Bought Trico winter blades with the boots on. I'll bag them for storage after winter and get some regular blades for warmer weather. Then put the winter blades back on next snow season. I can usually get 2 winters out of them. I may even use my new vacuum packer to keep them air tight so they won't degrade over the summer.

·
Registered
792 Posts
For what it's worth--I tried Trico then Bosch and ended up buying Toyota's OEMS--
You may want to wash your windsheild with a strong ammonia based cleaner and some elbow grease to assure there's no oily residue---

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
When my OEM blades gave up I replaced them with Bosch blades. That was a bad move. Back to OEM blades and everything is right as rain.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I tried the Anco Winter Blades this year. They are ok. Ice and Snow have not been too bad. They sometimes streak on the upstoke (which seem backwards to me) and then clean nice on the downstoke. Also, for some reason the driver side blade does not clean the top third of its stoke well at all when I am going over 60mph. So on the highway in rain or snow a small portion of my upper vision is blurry.

The OEM blades are NWB (Nippon Wiper Blade) and I think there are some US suppliers if you Google it. Toyota dealers will have some other brand as the OEM replacements. I am probably just going to try these for winter next year and see how they do. The true OEM blades always seem to work best - I guess they figure they have to last at least a year or someone will demand replacements under their warranty, so they have them made top-notch.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
68545_10151568753366084_1165389502_n.jpg Besides the horrible ice build up on the wipers, has anyone else noticed that the sides and fenders of the FJ cruiser build up ice? I take a 20 minute drive and I have 150lbs of ice attached to the underside of my FJ.. takes 2 days just to defrost so my side steps are useful again

·
Registered
23 Posts
Been using the factory OEM type wipers and re-fills. They seem to work the best in cold weather; had tried some "winter" wiper blades from Canadian Tire and found they did not work well and only lasted about a month. Just glad I kept the original wiper blade assemblies, went to the dealer and got new re-fills and put the originals back on. Hard to improve on Toyota's engineering I guess.

Anyone find a source of even better OEM style refills?

Also I spray the wiper arm hinges once in a while with silicone lube so they don't freeze up or corrode. Helps to keep proper down pressure on the wipers so they work properly.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
37,777 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I buy the Rain-X basic blades from Walmart and this set has lasted through the winter (originally installed in August 2014. I have tried the fancier Rain-X Latitude blades and dislike their performance and useless function.

As Cham mentioned, very good idea to keep wiper arm pivots lubed as most overlook this until corrosion is present resulting in poor down pressure. I also never allow dry run on first few strokes when using new blades for first time.

Christopher A.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Has anyone up North tried PIAA Wiper blades. They are spendy and I have them on my 07, I put them on over 3 years ago and they are still like new.

I am in South Florida where heat and sun destroy blades. Normally I am replacing once a year maybe 2 if I am lucky on a daily driver car that sits outside all day like my FJ.

That said, these PIAA, while take a bit to install correctly (you have to clean the windshield with alcohol wipes and bed the blades into the glass via running them dry for 5 minutes) they hold up great. If they start to streak you reclean the windshield and rebed the blades and you are good to go for a while.

Not sure how they will hold up to cold northern abuse. I did deal with snow over a long weekend in Kentucky a couple of years ago and they were no worse for the wear.

Something to consider if you feel brave and want to experiment. I got mine off of Amazon they are on all my cars.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Where do you find the rear wiper??
I get my rear blades on E bay. I have tried almost every wiper brand & still change them about every 6 months the heat here kills them too. I buy a case of the middle & passenger & get them for about 3$ each if you get a case on E bay.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I get my rear blades on E bay. I have tried almost every wiper brand & still change them about every 6 months the heat here kills them too. I buy a case of the middle & passenger & get them for about 3$ each if you get a case on E bay.
Do you have a link?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts