Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright,

So I have a topic that is sure to hit some nerves, but for what it's worth I have faith in the FJ.

A buddy of mine were arguing tonight about the toughest off road vehicle. At the end of the day and the question we agreed to post on this forum is the following (and I assured him I would get the most unbiased answers even considering that this is an FJ forum):

Picking the years 1998-2009, what is the absolute best off road vehicle. Take any SUV within these years and soup it out to the max, and what would be the best-in any situation==jungle, desert, river, mud, rocks, shtf!

Maybe there are variables I'm not considering. But I really would like to know that my FJ is the one to have. I really want honest answers but still think the FJ wins hands down in the past 10 years.

He says Wrangler. He's also confident in his Tahoe.

What say ye???

:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
i am going to have to give a x2 on the Unimog. There used to be one on my bicycle route and the tires have to be 40" or bigger. It's only weakness i can see is it's size. This however can also be a strength

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Another vote for the mog.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Those mid-90's Landcruisers were pretty fantastic. I think the one drawback to them was their length. The 80 series is quite an incredible vehicle though and I am taking reliability into account when you talk about "best" vehicles. Any vehicle that can go 250,000+ without major problems has to be considered on any top vehicle list.

I agree on the Unimog. They are unstoppable. The H1 was no slouch either.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
The H1 does have it's place.... being pulled out by the Mog :lol:

No, but seriously, any street legal vehicle that comes stock with 37''s or bigger is okay in my book.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Oh come on now... go easy on the REAL Hummer. Sure the other vehicles they've come out with are just blinged out Chevys. The first one was a real purpose made vehicle that did its job very well. I've seen some that had no business still running pull guys out of some real hairy situations in the Middle East. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I still think the Unimog is the best though. No arguments there.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Mercedes G 55 AMG is pretty badass and capeable right out of the box. For the price you could build a few wickid FJs though.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Gotta love the Unimogs. I'd love to take a new one for a spin. The older ex-military trucks are a bit rough around the edges.:rocker:

What about one of those Dakar Rally trucks? Not the big ones that haul the gear, the VW Tauregs kind of trucks.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I love my FJ and I've had some very capable built Chevy's, but the Unimog gets my vote!

I wouldn't own one, but they are awesome!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
283 Posts
For me its not really about the vehicle. Off Road ability is 98% driver skill. I'm positive some of the TTORA veterans could take my PreRunner places I would have a hard time with if I had a 4x4.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
never drove a mog but they have great reputation....i was privy to have an Hummer in military back in mid to late 80s.......took it out to a Dutch tank training area and put it through her paces. She could do about anything the Leapord II could do except scale the near vertical 6 foot walls in tank traps.......mostly due to traction but a very very capable vehicle in that setup.

seats were uncomfortable...pinched hell out of myself trying to slide them back and down further. wipers were terrible...and it was wide as hell....lots of busted fenders...but the huge goodyear wrangler mud terrains and the powerful diesel engine made it formidable in varying terrain.

comfort and looks aside ....and just going for wheelability and durability I would say Hummer......with the caveat being I have no personal experience with Mog.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Mog....hands down.

But are we talking capable or reliable? The Rubicon is the probably the most "capable" out of the box wheeler on the market (short of the Unimog), but Chrysler isn't known for its long term reliability.

However, none of this really matters b/c you said, "Picking the years 1998-2009, what is the absolute best off road vehicle. Take any SUV within these years and soup it out to the max, and what would be the best-in any situation==jungle, desert, river, mud, rocks, shtf!"

Soup it to the max means it's not stock anymore.....so you could take just about ANY rig out there and turn it into something more capable and even reliable than a Mog with enough time and money and know how.

So really, the answer is: it's only limited by your imagination.

Sean

·
Registered
499 Posts
mmm an army and navy store near a major mall in my area has a big ol unimog sitting out in the parking lot, i wonder if it's still there

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, guys. I've never even heard of a unimog before but it does look badass.

I guess Sean is right though--maybe we should be talking about out of the box. But let's only consider North American, civilian driven vehicles with your choice of tires.

Does the FJ beat the Wrangler? Tahoe? My buddy also mentioned the independent suspension of the FJ and that it's not as capable as a rigid frame. Is this nonsense?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Rigid frame? The FJC isn't a unibody. It's a body on frame construction.

As for your question: again, depends on what you're talking about. If you mean, what's most capable: it's the Rubicon. If you mean what's reliable and also pretty capable.....Toyota usually has most other makes beat in that area.

Sean

***EDIT*** the Tahoe has no business in this discussion. It's neither capable or reliable as an offroad vehicle.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you mean, what's most capable: it's the Rubicon. If you mean what's reliable and also pretty capable.....Toyota usually has most other makes beat in that area.
I agree with that, talking Rubies and FJs. If I didn't have the commute I do everyday and need the reliability of a Toy, my a$$ would be in a Rubi.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts