Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you trade a 08 Trail Teams FJ Cruiser on a Tundra XSP fully loaded if your payments were gonna go up 100 bux a month and add 6 payments to the loan term? Need help ASAP dealer is pushing me and found the EXACT Tundra I was wanting.Really Confused

In the end the new Tundra will cost me 10k more and I am worried about the gas mileage penalty compared to my FJ

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not only a question of $$. Its about the vehicle. I am unfamiliar with the Tundra other than a test drive. If I didnt want opinions I wouldnt have asked. So the question is whats your opinions? Would you do it? I have driven 2 Tundras one TRD and one XPS I disliked the TRD as it rode really rough and fell short in the bells and whistles dept. The XPS drives nice and cushy and feels like a high end vehicle from the ****pit like my Trail Teams.

Honestly if I could get a refinance on my FJ at 0% I wouldnt even consider the Tundra. I was told at my local bank that I am approved for 3% loan. If I keep my Trail Teams I am gonna lift it and put fender flares, tires,wheels, hitch, and a dirt bike hauler on the back. If I bought the Tundra I would be all new and not need any of this stuff. Who knows? Its opinions I am after. I do however find it odd that when I dont ask for opinions everybody has one, and when I DO need opinions nobody wants to give one! People are strange....:boohoo:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I think what dowork meant was that you should buy what you need.

If you need the cargo capacity of a pickup, the towing power, the ability to carry 5 people more comfortably, and are willing to get a little worse fuel economy, and can afford the extra 100 a month, then go with the Tundra.

If you need all of the benefits and reasons to go with an FJC, which we all know what those are, then keep the FJC.

For me, the FJC no longer met my needs. I needed more room, a cheaper vehicle, wanted it to be better offroad, be able to easily carry 5 (actually can carry 8) people, and have rear windows for my dog. So i am selling my FJC and i bought a 1997 80 series Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I had negotiated a trade in value 10 days ago with Wilmington Toyota regarding the Tundra. They didnt have the truck I wanted so they were supposed to locate me one. It took them until today to locate this Tundra. Then when we negotiated the figures all of the sudden they dropped my trade in 1800 bux! They said that my truck was older now and they depreciate every month.. So when they asked me what I thought of the Tundra I told them it looked 10 days older and I would give them 1800 less. They didnt think it was funny nor do I. I love my FJ and I can sell it myself or keep it. They can go jump off a cliff just for being smart allecks. In reality they are just mad because I made them get exactly what I wanted and wouldnt accept what they tried to force on me. The deal was still very feasable as far as numbers go, but I am a stickler for a mans word. They say one thing and I expect them to keep their word. Now its just principle.

As far as needs. I have a girlfriend, like to camp, really dont need anything currently. So I will just buy a hitch, dirt bike hauler, and some wheels /tires/lift/flares and call it a day. I just like having a cool ride to drive every once in a while. I have driven less than 2 tanks on my FJ in the last 2 months. I have a Saturn for around town. My life has been changing so much within the last 3 years that what is great today may be useless tomorrow it seems. So I guess having a trusty friend in my FJ is a good thing.

When I posted this thread I was extremely heated with the dealer and was trying to get my head right regarding the deal. So I meant no offense with being short. I just had the dealer texting, and calling me non stop is all. So far I have recieved great help from you fellas and it looks like I will continue to need everyones advice.

As far as the mods that are about to happen to my FJ since I am keeping it....Well I blame all of you!!! :bigthumb: Yuk Yuk Yuk

·
Registered
394 Posts
"They said that my truck was older now and they depreciate every month.. So when they asked me what I thought of the Tundra I told them it looked 10 days older and I would give them 1800 less. :lol::lol::lol:

That was a great come back...and my opinion is to stay with the FJ due to the extra cost of the Tundra. I bought my '08 on 12/31/08 and it came with 0% financing...that was one of the reasons I went for it.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
"They said that my truck was older now and they depreciate every month.. So when they asked me what I thought of the Tundra I told them it looked 10 days older and I would give them 1800 less. :lol::lol::lol:

x2 It is usually better to sell outright to a buyer than try to trade, as evident by the remark they made to you.

If you don't need to do this Right Now ~ then I suggest putting it on the market
and see what happens. Then go to the dealer, maybe a diff. one, & see what they can do for you. IMHO :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Next time you go to purchase a vehicle check with several dealers work them against each other to get the best possible deal. I know your FJ did not go down in value $1800 in one month. They knew you wanted that particlar truck thought they had the sale.
You had a great come back.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I signed up at the tundra forum and searched gas mileage. Due to the quantity of threads that popped up I assume they drink some fuel. I read a review by some car company that said they actually achieved 20MPGs in stock form. I only found one guy on the Tundra Forum that said he achieved 19.2 MPG only after the 5k mileage mark when the engine broke in good. So I called my cousins in West Virginia since they have owned 20 new trucks between the 2 of them ,and if they havent owned something their buddies have. He said that all of his buddies that have them barely get 13 MPG out of the Tundra. The dealer swears that its all in how you drive them. I think its all in where you drive them. Guys in Texas that get em rollin and stay rollin are gonna get better mileage then a guy that drives in the mountains constantly on and off of the gas.

Considering that I get around 20 MPG on my FJ where I live I assume that a Tundra would net on the high side of what they can achieve. I think realistically 16MPG would be about where I would be with one.

It seems that FJ owners are confident in their vehicle and are always really happy with them. The Tundra guys dont seem to be so sure. Its like a mixed bag with them. Some guys buy em over and over again and swear by them. Then some guys hate them.

My dealer is in a tourist town therefore they dont usually have the concern about customer retention. It seems that this area is plagued with stick em once attitudes and have forgotten the basic philosophy of common courtesy. I believe that Wilmington Toyota just lost a customer for life. The economy is still in the toilet so I may be better off saving 10grand over the next 5 years and squirreling up for a new homestead somewhere cheap. Who knows the FJ may be parked in the driveway when I do.

If Wilmington Toyota would have said due to a special ordered vehicle we cant give you as much trade in ,rather than smarting off and trying to talk down to me I probably would have bought the Tundra.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think you made the right move by not buying the Tundra from that dealer.

I personally really like both Tundras and Tacomas, but for my current needs, the FJ fit best...have absolutely no need for the bed...but love the way they look.

Since the dealer most likely just traded one of their vehicles for the Tundra, I doubt that it really costs them that much more (definitely not $1,800 more), so I agree with Sonny that they were just trying to make some more money off you.

Also, depending on how "popular" that Tundra is in your region, the dealer may be giving you a call back, especially if it sits on their lot for a few weeks.

For future visits, try speaking to the Fleet manager...unfortunately, sometimes these departments are combined with "Internet" sales, but if you find the right Fleet person, they're usually easier to deal with since their compensation isn't directly related to the price that you pay for your vehicle.

Not sure if you care, but Tundras are made in the US, while the FJ is still made in Japan.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its no big deal. I have had several interested parties in my FJ. If it sells it sells. If it doesnt I dont really care, cuz I love it and its still brand new. I definitely will not be buying anything from Wilmington Toyota regardless of what happens. They never actually recieved the Tundra I wanted, it took them ten days to get off their arses and locate it. The truck is in Georgia still. I travel the East Coast regularly so I have no issues patrolling the Yota lots and finding my own vehicle. I am still concerned about the Tundra fuel consumption though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts