Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
yeah, the fj has be very closely related to the Toyota Prado 125 sold overseas.

as far as pricing goes, i am guessing it will be slightly more than the Xterra since that's one of the closest fj competitor imo. and toyota is usually a tad more than nissan price wise. so i think the fj will start in the low$20s but most 2wd will end up costing in the mid$20s with few options. 4wd will start in the mid$20s and fully loaded ones will be in the low $30s

Attachments

· Registered
232 Posts
hey trainwreck, if my guess-timates are close, you are still in the game. i mean around 24k is mid20s, right?

again, if the fj will be price similar to the xterra, fwiw, i just look up nissan web and the most basic 4wd xterra starts at $21950 - 6 speed, a/c, am/fm/cd. of course, you can always go crazy on the options and without going into too much xterra details on a fj board, a fully loaded xterra is around $30k.

· Registered
232 Posts
Correct me if i am wrong but i think the projection is 40k units. Meaning they can bring more if they want. And i think they most definitely will need to make more. Back in 1999/2000, when the xterra first came out, nissan sold over 110k xterras. It wasn't until end of 2000, dealers actually had few in stock. I know because I had to wait many months to find a dealer that'll sell it at msrp and had the one i wanted. Also, toyota must have more dealerships and loyal customers than nissan. So yeah, i think the fj will be selling well over msrp too. like i said before, i would guess-timate $5k~$8k...

As far as where the fj will be produced, i read it will be japan, not usa:( For whatever reason, all toyota suvs sold in the usa are still made in japan - maybe for import tax reason? or maybe there's that much profit in them anyways?

· Registered
232 Posts
Like I said before, if any of you that are thinking about putting deposit down, know exactly what & when you are getting! IMO, I will not put deposit down just to be on the waiting list when in fact the dealer I am working with has told me ordering will be around December = next month :D And my fj will be in the very first shipment!

The problem I see if you are only on the waiting list is you might end up just that, wait :( For example, a friend of mine was #1 on the waiting list for his Elise. The dealer promised him everything: msrp, no mark-ups, no add-ons, and absoutely nothing else he had to buy other than the car + tax & lic. The problem is, he didn't get his car until 6~9 months after the first one hits showroom. It was obvious the dealer had the right car (color & options) probably more than once but sold it to someone else willing to pay more. Reason i said obvious was because i saw one on ebay exactly the way he wanted it and it still had that dealership plate on it :eek:

· Registered
232 Posts
Max said:
Thank you, ToyBox! In all probability I have no way to avoid the USA visit. So, could you please advise any decent official Toyota dealer in USA (name, location, phone number, e-mail address etc.) where I can pre-order FJ?
Hey Max, you may not want to tell them the car is for export because technically speaking, Toyota USA may or may not want their cars to be exported. Of course, there are many ways around this but bottomline is you will need a middleman.

· Registered
232 Posts
ToyBox said:
Actually, technically speaking, Toyota couldn't stop him from purchasing one or doing anything he wanted to after purchase.

The worst that could happen is the sales person trying to make a little extra profit because of his situation.
Before this conversation gets too far ahead, the reason i said "Toyota may or may not" is because I don't know the exact policy is for Toyota USA but I do know many other makes (domestics & foreign) do not allow their dealerships to export. If they do, the dealership can loose their franchise. Although i doubt that has ever happened.

And how do i know? I have bought "in" cars for family & friends overseas in the past and the dealership do not want to know if that's your plan. Also, most dealer that i have dealt with will not sell you the car if you don't have any US ID.

· Registered
232 Posts
Trainwreck said:
Ya, I've planned to head up to Montana to avoid sales tax, I'll need to register it there too as far as I know. I have family there and can use their address.---Anyone else tried this?----I know if you bring a car into CA within a year of purchase you still get hit with sales tax when you register.
I thought of it not for tax reason but for diesel cars not available here. Anyways, to answer your question, as long as the car has over 7,500 miles on the odometer, it's considered as an used car. To be exact, below please find copy & paste from dmv:

"California residents are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California and the Environmental Protection Agency label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time it is purchased or acquired."

And if you have more question, check this out:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.