Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

· Registered
165 Posts
Topless4runner said:
aside from getting the extra green for all the options i think part of the reason they do that is for the automotive rags. while they claim they are objective, we all know that they are all about the comfort widgets (why the Grand Cherokee has won 4x4 of the year so much, its cushy and can kinda wheel).

On that note i would say im looking forward to seeing this thing in a couple 4wd of the year competitions, but i dont really expect it to win due to the relative lack of creature comforts (i.e. plushness).
Lets also not forget the next wrangler that is coming out soon, any rag really comparing off road capability will award it to the Jeep. Apparently there will be a four door model with rumors of the 5.7 Hemi V8 and CRD diesel engines being made available. There is also the possibility of a pickup version in the near future. But, if they look at creature comforts the Toyota will have a fighting chance. I bet the FJ will get "SUV of the year" from Motor Trend because of its interior comfort and cool factor relative to the jeep as Wranglers are not exactly known for their comfort.

As for pricing, my guess is dead center between Taco and 4Runner.

· Registered
272 Posts
30,000 FJ's on 2006, divided by 50 states= 600 FJ's per state. 30,000 FJ's divided by 1,730 Toyota-Scion-Lexus dealers nationwide= 17.34 per dealer in 2006.
I'm sure the people in S. Dakota and Rhode Island really appreciate your math, but it is flawed in so many ways it hurts.

As for the Jeep...it is a POS and everyone knows it. If I wanted to be a mechanic I would have just taken classes or bought a Jeep a long time ago. As Rompj would say....this thing is going to be reliable and Romp.

· Official Field Agent
1,322 Posts
mpd8488 said:
Lets also not forget the next wrangler that is coming out soon, any rag really comparing off road capability will award it to the Jeep.
Not necessarily true - 4WOR gave it to the (IFS) Grand over the Rubicon just recently and we all know the rubicon can outwheel a Grand C any day, that decision was all about creature comforts. But of course thats between two jeeps, so not a good example.
mpd8488 said:
Apparently there will be a four door model with rumors of the 5.7 Hemi V8 and CRD diesel engines being made available.
I really hope they come out with a CRD Wrangler, that will give toyota more incentive to give us what we want, a small displacement monster of a diesel in a compact 4x4.
mpd8488 said:
But, if they look at creature comforts the Toyota will have a fighting chance. I bet the FJ will get "SUV of the year" from Motor Trend because of its interior comfort and cool factor relative to the jeep as Wranglers are not exactly known for their comfort.
I agree, see quote #1, especially the "new" coolness factor.
mpd8488 said:
As for pricing, my guess is dead center between Taco and 4Runner.
I just got done messing around on nissans website pricing out the Xterra, which i think we all agree will the the FJC's prime competition, and came up with the following:

Base "x" model: 4x2 6 speed 20,555; 4x4 6 speed 22,555

"Off-Road" model (the rumored Moab edition or TRD package maybe): 4x2 6 speed 24,355; 4x4 6 speed 26,655

+$800 on all for the 5 speed auto option

I'm thinking the FJC pricing needs to be pretty close to those numbers to be competitive (after initial release markup hoopla, that is).

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
csherrill said:
I'm sure the people in S. Dakota and Rhode Island really appreciate your math, but it is flawed in so many ways it hurts.
Please explain! I know, CA has tons of Toyota dealers, North Dakota does not, subtract all of the Lexus/Scion dealers, etc. My point is Economics 101; when demand exceeds supply, the seller is in control and can name his price.

· Registered
6 Posts
Here is one for you.... A local Toyota Dealer here in Atlanta that I have been working with finally invited me over today to place a $500 deposit ("yes, we will cash your check") to be the first on their waiting list for an FJ. In the course of an email exchange I asked about pricing and MSRP. "Right now we are looking at $2000 over MSRP" and they were a bit evasive about dealer add-ons. I told them to let someone else be their #1. I would look elsewhere.

Before plunking down your deposit, make sure you know what you are signing up for! I hope you are finding more reputable dealers than this one.

· Registered
3,662 Posts
Well, I see it like this. If I have to wait to get the price and the model I want, then that's what I'll do. If summer is going to bring us a special edition model, I would bet that by mid-summer the price on the model I actually want will be lower then said special edition. All of the numbnutz that jump on the coolness bandwagon will probably run out and get the special edition which in turn may lower the demand for the stock 4x4 6-speed. I don't care so much about creature comforts. As long as I have AC so I don't melt in the summer and a little heat for winter, there aren't a lot of other needs. As long as they stay around what they have predicted mid-high 20's for the 4x4, this thing is as good as mine.

I'm not working two jobs because I don't like free-time. It's solely so that I can get my hands on an FJ. This is the first time I have ever been this excited about a vehicle. That doesn't bode well for the demand. I would imagine there are a lot of people out there that are just like me and can't wait to get their hands on it.

Plus, you have to remember that you can always go and buy one in another state. A lot of people in Vegas go to Utah, Arizona even Montana to get good deals on cars. I'm not opposed to doing the same thing to acquire my FJ and not get screwed by a dealer in the process.

· Registered
3,662 Posts
Thanks bubba -- I just don't see any sense in paying above MSRP for anything. Why waste cashflow I can use for mods just to be the first kid on the block with the new toy?

I'd rather wait an extra month or two, then have the sweetest ride on the block because I got to spend an xtra grand or two on tricking it out for the trail.

· Registered
406 Posts
Percy - that was my whole reason behind my thread' good things come to those who wait' I want a knew fj just as bad as anyone else, but I've been waiting since I went to the Chicago Auto show in 2003.... and was able to save have to cost of this vehicle in cash since then.

· Registered
232 Posts
Like I said before, if any of you that are thinking about putting deposit down, know exactly what & when you are getting! IMO, I will not put deposit down just to be on the waiting list when in fact the dealer I am working with has told me ordering will be around December = next month :D And my fj will be in the very first shipment!

The problem I see if you are only on the waiting list is you might end up just that, wait :( For example, a friend of mine was #1 on the waiting list for his Elise. The dealer promised him everything: msrp, no mark-ups, no add-ons, and absoutely nothing else he had to buy other than the car + tax & lic. The problem is, he didn't get his car until 6~9 months after the first one hits showroom. It was obvious the dealer had the right car (color & options) probably more than once but sold it to someone else willing to pay more. Reason i said obvious was because i saw one on ebay exactly the way he wanted it and it still had that dealership plate on it :eek:

· Registered
3,662 Posts
Sales guys are afterall about one step below lawyer. They are only in the game for the profit itself. My negotiating will be handled by my credit union. If they want my money they will meet our demands!

Otherwise I will keep shopping around until someone will meet our demands.

· Registered
2,155 Posts
fjsmurf said:
The problem I see if you are only on the waiting list is you might end up just that, wait :( For example, a friend of mine was #1 on the waiting list for his Elise. The dealer promised him everything: msrp, no mark-ups, no add-ons, and absoutely nothing else he had to buy other than the car + tax & lic. The problem is, he didn't get his car until 6~9 months after the first one hits showroom. It was obvious the dealer had the right car (color & options) probably more than once but sold it to someone else willing to pay more. Reason i said obvious was because i saw one on ebay exactly the way he wanted it and it still had that dealership plate on it :eek:
This is why I got the verbage written in about right of first refusal. Don't get me wrong I totally expect them to try something but I fully intend to call and stop by a lot to try and minimize that. Plus, deposits at 2 dealers and another one on hold should help minimize my chances of getting screwed.

The werid thing is, I looked at a lot of dealers and ended up putting in 2 deposits and the one I feel best about is the one that is "holding" the first one for me, no deposit. I hooked my neighbor up with Nascar tickets (my work sponsors a driver) and without my knowing he spoke to his father in law who happens to be a Toyota dealer's general manager. Their dealership does not do lists and deposits and out of the blue he called me and told me the first one is mine if I want it. No idea if this will work out but it just goes to show you it pays to be nice. :)

· Registered
3,662 Posts
It's karma, Granger. Apparantly karma likes you... With any luck, Toyota will decide they like this site and all the fun we have and offer us a special deal! That would be cool. Don't worry, I won't hold my breath.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello everybody! I’m Max from Moscow. Unfortunately Toyota dealers in Russia didn’t hear about FJ yet :confused: . So could you please advise how can I get FJ in USA (or in the other country close to Russia)? I don’t care about the price, just want to buy it asap. :D Thanks.

· Registered
201 Posts
Hi Max. It's not surprising that they haven't heard about the fj yet since this truck will be for the USA only at first I believe. As far as how to buy from the USA, I would either use a broker or vehicle importer or take a trip to your favorite US city and buy it for yourself.

· Registered
15 Posts
The XTerra is out. Once again in car manufacturer wisdom if you want satellite radio you have to get an automatic.

Actually to get satellite you have to have the rockford fosgate audio which requires getting the automatic.

That eliminates the XTerra for me.

It is no wonder people in North America don't buy sticks. You have no choices.

· Official Field Agent
1,322 Posts
thats funny man, especially considering that they want 400 for the satelite option. i refuse to pay that much when i can get a good aftermarket head unit for 150-200, the tuner for 100, misc parts for 50, and install it myself and save 100-150. or you could just get the satelite reciever with the FM monudator and not even need the head unit...

· Registered
3,662 Posts
Call me crazy, but I'm still not stressing out over options.

Stock, it can handle the Rubicon trail. What more do you really need?

21 - 40 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.