Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:

"I have no problem being upfront and honest with you I have built a career out of doing buisness that way."

That's pretty funny, an honest car salesperson, that's an oxymoron.

I sold cars long enough to learn they are all crooks! Well at least 99% of them!

D

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Like lawyers, most of them don't stand a one in a million chance of becoming a human being.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
12get12 said:
I just wish they follow Scion's pricing scheme.. no above MSRP Dealer markup...

Jim Farley are you listening?????
That and the aftermarket parts/components availability at the stealership. TRD bullbar and PTO winch, anyone?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Percy said:
Plus, you have to remember that you can always go and buy one in another state. A lot of people in Vegas go to Utah, Arizona even Montana to get good deals on cars. I'm not opposed to doing the same thing to acquire my FJ and not get screwed by a dealer in the process.
Ya, I've planned to head up to Montana to avoid sales tax, I'll need to register it there too as far as I know. I have family there and can use their address.---Anyone else tried this?----I know if you bring a car into CA within a year of purchase you still get hit with sales tax when you register.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Trainwreck said:
Ya, I've planned to head up to Montana to avoid sales tax, I'll need to register it there too as far as I know. I have family there and can use their address.---Anyone else tried this?----I know if you bring a car into CA within a year of purchase you still get hit with sales tax when you register.
I thought of it not for tax reason but for diesel cars not available here. Anyways, to answer your question, as long as the car has over 7,500 miles on the odometer, it's considered as an used car. To be exact, below please find copy & paste from dmv:

"California residents are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California and the Environmental Protection Agency label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time it is purchased or acquired."

And if you have more question, check this out:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
fjsmurf said:
California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time it is purchased or acquired."[/I]
So basically your still screwed unless you bought it with less than 7500 miles on it, regardless of how many miles it has on it at the time of import. California is so gay...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Simple economics folks...Supply and demand. They have already set their supply(40,000). It doesn't take a genuis to realize the demand is there (forums, down payments, hype , etc) Why shouldn't they sell them between 26 -32 K ?? They will sell reagardless..Sad, but true :mad:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
So the plan then is to organize and refuse to buy one until it fits in the price range we want? I don't think that will work. It's a major automotive manufacturer. If they want to screw us, they will. They seem set on hitting a particular market with this vehicle though and the demographic of this market is not the demographic of people who will spend over $30K on a vehicle, period. This demographic that they are trying to hit is the younger male market. Most younger males don't even have a job that affords them the ability to rent an apartment without having a roommate to help cover the costs. So I would bet, that they will try to keep it as affordable as possible to max out the chance of getting younger males to flock to this thing like a bugzapper in a swamp.

·
Registered
378 Posts
There was a lot of hype behind the Honda Ridgeline last year. There was talk of how "affordable" that would be and look at what they are selling at !! Why? Because they can afford to do it. Toyota is using what is called MAX COMFORT. They let everyone think the price will be low 20K and sell mid to high. Most will rationalize and say, "what's an extra couple grand for something I really want" We all do it. It's the American way... :(

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
OK. Let's read between the lines here. Toyota says that FJ pricing will slot in between the RAV4 and the 4Runner. Here is the most recent pricing structures for both 2WD versions with no options:

Base 2WD 4Runner w/Auto tranny= $27,635

Base 2WD RAV4 w/Auto tranny = $20,100

Difference = $7,535 divided by 2 = $3,767

So, take a base 2WD RAV4 = $20,100
Add the difference = $ 3,767

Base 2 WD FJC price = $23,867

Since $23,867 is not a "marketable" dollar figure, let's assume an MSRP of $23,995 for the 2007 2WD FJ Criuiser.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just hope the difference between the base model and fully loaded is not more than 5K.
There is nothing worse than seeing a vehicle on TV advertised for one price and then "as shown" being 10K more in small print. We can debate all we want, but we will alll have the answer in a few months !!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
but we will alll have the answer in a few months !!!
Actually we should have the pricing riddle answered next month. I like mini's analysis and think (and secretly hope) that this will be a good price pt. for the 2wd. My thinking is the price pt. for the base 2wd will be ~$24K. But a "surprising value" would be more like $20K-$22K so I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
same here, and agree on seeing the "optioned as shown" small text on some ads being significantly higher than the base price...

for instance the new Lexus IS350 stickers for approx. $36-37K, but optioned out, can go as high as $60K?!?!?! wtf?!

Keep the FJ loaded (4x4 auto) to $30-32K tops, and I'll be happy...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Options can have the effect of a double edge sword sometimes... Hopefully this being a off-road vehicle, the two biggest options and Price difference will be between it being a 4x2 and a 4x4. Then maybe 2 - 4K difference in each category.

there are just some things I could live without in order to keep the price where we want it. (power windows, cup holders, etc)
I sure hope Toyota listens...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cupholders?????

Why would you want one without cupholders because they definitely don't add ANYTHING to the cost. I mean you either mold the plastic this way or that way. And I'm sure they won't offer it without power doors and locks for the 5 people who say they want it like this and then the 2 people who would actually buy it.

These things have been around for thirty years!!! They would probably cost MORE just because of the seriously low sales of the ones without power locks and windows.

I've driven in plenty of vehicles in the past without these features and that is where they should stay....in the past. It's 2005 people.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Toy, You obviouslly missed the sarcasm by Granger.

But why we are on the subject.It's not about the cupholders, its about justifying price...

You would be surprised as to what a company will use to justify a price.

I was pointing out options that have been a 'key' factor so far in their marketing. Things that aren't a big deal, but are made to be. Things that a sales rep will point out that that aren't selling points. Look at some of the pre-specs that have come out. Things that are no big deal. I can see a salesman right now saying, "But look, it's got 4 cup holders instead of 2 like most SUVs"
Who cares ??!?!?!?!?! Just keep the price down

Have you seen the new volkswagon that offers the air conditioned glove box? WTF ?!?!! Stupid marketing tactics to jack up a price. As much as we hate to admit it, it's all about MAX PROFIT
I'll get off my soap box now....

·
Registered
181 Posts
bubbahotep said:
there are just some things I could live without in order to keep the price where we want it. (power windows, cup holders, etc)
I sure hope Toyota listens...
I was responding to this statement and not to granger.

And I don't quite understand your post. Power windows and locks are soooo common that they could not use that to justify anything. People expect these things and there is nothing novel about them like the stupid VW a/c'ed glove box. I really see NO cost savings by NOT having power windows and locks. Again it may actually cost more to produce the very limited quantity of these trucks without those features.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts