Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

· Registered
406 Posts
Toy, you have made me out to a " cup holder hater" :D just kidding
If you go to Toyotas Web site, it say the FJ's interior features as follows...

Four cup holders
sun visor with vanity
tilit wheel
power windows with locks

passenger seat back pocket

To one who uses a 4x4 to go off-road, most of these items are pointless . Items that if it came down to making a price difference, most would do with out, or add at a later date. This vehicle could easliy go over 30K. Just pointing out things that might 'justify' not doing so. It's not about the cup holders... :p

· Registered
272 Posts
OH it is about the cupholder!!! J/K...or am I? Seems like there are two categories to the FJ buyer. The serious off-roader who is going to travel across the US in a straight path with only his GPS, manual transmission FJ, and a package of ramen noodles (bubba, Topless, Prat, etc.). And there is the casual I need it to get me to and from work as well as occasionally show my friends that I don't need help out of the sand or to the campsite (me, UCHJFKSLLKDSJS, maybe Granger, and Toy). So of course I am going to have to agree with Toy that the cupholder thing is a non issue. And why not have power locks and windows. This is a low cost value added feature which essentially is standard in most cars today. I know some of you want a FJ stripped and a base MSRP of $20K for the 4X4 because it has no top, no back door or hood, black donut spare tire rims, with the hole in the floor so you can run to get it started. Unfortunately I think Toyota is marketing more towards the later then the fundamentalist off-roader, which of course is cool for me. So I pay $2-$3K more for two extra cupholders, an extra windshield wiper, and power windows and locks. To me it is well worth the cost. But keep in mind that this does not put me in the "Hey look at me I own a cell phone and can talk on it while putting on my make-up and drinking my double mocoa mocoa cappacino frappe" category.

I say viva la cupholder, power windows, vanity mirror (ok skip the mirrors)!!! But I think that we are in the majority as this looks to be what will most likely be standard FJ options.

· Registered
201 Posts
bubbahotep said:
To one who uses a 4x4 to go off-road, most of these items are pointless . Items that if it came down to making a price difference, most would do with out, or add at a later date.
Even the people who will regularly take them off-road will still be doing at least 90% of their mileage on-road. Regardless, off-roader or not, they are hardly pointless. In fact, they are very useful. I've already pointed out the benefits of power windows and locks (with no downside as far as I am concerned). The cupholders hold drinks. :D I would rather my bottle of water or whatever is not rolling around the floor and under the pedals when I'm driving or off-roading. And I drink coffee and work, probably 240 days a year, and need a place to rest the coffee. As A matter of fact I would say cupholders are an absolute neccessity if you are going to get a manual tranny. I doubt any of these little features or even all of them combined cost more than a couple hundred dollars and without them I think they would reduce sales. All these things can be included without really affecting price or off-road competence.

· Premium Member
1,135 Posts
ToyBox said:
Even the people who will regularly take them off-road will still be doing at least 90% of their mileage on-road. Regardless, off-roader or not, they are hardly pointless. In fact, they are very useful. I've already pointed out the benefits of power windows and locks (with no downside as far as I am concerned). The cupholders hold drinks. :D I would rather my bottle of water or whatever is not rolling around the floor and under the pedals when I'm driving or off-roading. And I drink coffee and work, probably 240 days a year, and need a place to rest the coffee. As A matter of fact I would say cupholders are an absolute neccessity if you are going to get a manual tranny. I doubt any of these little features or even all of them combined cost more than a couple hundred dollars and without them I think they would reduce sales. All these things can be included without really affecting price or off-road competence.

Well said.

· Official Field Agent
1,322 Posts
ToyBox said:
I really see NO cost savings by NOT having power windows and locks. Again it may actually cost more to produce the very limited quantity of these trucks without those features.
Much as i hate to agree with you, your right. if the FJC was designed to have pw,pd, etc as the base, they would have to make a completely new set of molds for the inner doors, all the hardware, modify the wiring harness, etc. i would like to have manual everything, but not if its going to cost me more in the long run.

· Registered
3,662 Posts
I don't care what the base model is. I want the 4x4 model. I won't pay over 30K for it. If they think they are milking me for $30K, I'll go back to rebuilding my 86 Bronco. For $30K, I could make it climb trees for christ's sake.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.