Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the 4x4 FJ will be 71.6 inches, the previously released estimate of 70.9 was only for the 4x2.

Just wondering if anyone can guess what the actual total height will be on a 4x4 with 17 inch tires, plus a roof rack with ski attachements?

Got my deposit down months ago and dying to take this baby up to Whistler and the backcountry, I just have to make sure it fits back into my garage!! ;)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm thinking, with rack, it will totally not fit in my garage, but I have a small garage. Stupid track homes...

But, by the time you lift it and put 33's and the arb, and everything else... you will probably be pushing it to get it to fit in any garage.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Percy said:
I'm thinking, with rack, it will totally not fit in my garage, but I have a small garage. Stupid track homes...

But, by the time you lift it and put 33's and the arb, and everything else... you will probably be pushing it to get it to fit in any garage.
I am wrestling a similar issue. I am in a condo and my parking spot is covered with damn 6'2" cited clearance to the concrete bulkheads. A parallel portion with a seperate entrance cites a 6'4" clearance. I may cut a deal with a sister condo that shares parking structure to get moved to a non-covered spot. I don't dig the "do what fits in my gay gagrage" strategy of vehicle choice!

That being said, my FJ does not have the rack on it, but by my eyes' best estimate, we are looking at an extra 3-3.5 inches with it mounted.

·
Registered
162 Posts
RubyConman said:
I noticed that the 4x4 FJ will be 71.6 inches, the previously released estimate of 70.9 was only for the 4x2.

Just wondering if anyone can guess what the actual total height will be on a 4x4 with 17 inch tires, plus a roof rack with ski attachements?

Got my deposit down months ago and dying to take this baby up to Whistler and the backcountry, I just have to make sure it fits back into my garage!! ;)

This was a concern for me as well. The total height for the FJ with the roof rack is ~78.1 inches. This will fit in my garage, although I wanted the windscoop and lights too, which probably wouldn't fit so I left them off for now.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Standard double car garage doors are 16'x7', so the FJ will have no problem fitting in one. I estimate the rack to add another 6", i think it'll still fit. Any attachments on top of that, I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Banned
308 Posts
fjsmurf said:
Standard double car garage doors are 16'x7', so the FJ will have no problem fitting in one. I estimate the rack to add another 6", i think it'll still fit. Any attachments on top of that, I wouldn't bet on it.
You might be right about that 6". I mistakenly compared it to what I thought was 6" and it came up a bit over half-height. So I guess that makes my reference object close to 10"! Now a lot of things are starting to make so much more since!! :eek:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't have a garage anyways... yeah soon to be more broke than broke college student..

I have a question what roof rack do you guys recomend.? that half assed roof rack doesn't look usefull. I had my last one custom made by a local modern day "blacksmith" if you will, it was good.

·
Registered
270 Posts
K_os said:
I have a question what roof rack do you guys recomend.? that half assed roof rack doesn't look usefull. I had my last one custom made by a local modern day "blacksmith" if you will, it was good.
I am sort of working on this one. I am friends with the owners of a company that does aftermarket roof racks. When I get my FJ I will bring it by their shop and they will let me know what they think about making racks for them (basically just see how it would need to be mounted). Preliminarily estimate based on their other products would be between $1000 and $1500 shipped. I can link to pics of existing products if you want...let me know.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
K_os said:
that half assed roof rack doesn't look usefull.
i agree, whats the point of having a roof rack that only covers half of the roof?

the holes for it are installed on all of them, i imagine, as the roof rack is a port installed option, unless im mistakes (possible). someone with decent fabrication skills should be able to build a more functional full length rack utilizing the existing holes. as im sure you have noticed there are no rain gutters on the FJC, so that kinda hurts our options on how to mount stuff on the roof.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'd be interested depending on the material, thickness, ability to hook **** up to it - highlift, tires, gas cans, tent etc - If we(I am pretty sure 5 of us would want a diff roof rack) could get a good deal on a group buy, I'd highly consider it, I have average welding skills, plus I like to make my own custom stuff for my cars, I might try my own. But I am definetily interested.

·
Registered
270 Posts
K_os said:
I'd be interested depending on the material, thickness, ability to hook **** up to it - highlift, tires, gas cans, tent etc - If we(I am pretty sure 5 of us would want a diff roof rack) could get a good deal on a group buy, I'd highly consider it, I have average welding skills, plus I like to make my own custom stuff for my cars, I might try my own. But I am definetily interested.
I sent it in a PM because I don't want too much backlash if they decided not to make one for the FJ. :cool:

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
realistically all we would need as a set or crossrails to attach something like this on:

even has an available spare tire mount for law dog:

though custom fab stuff is definately cooler, this is only like $260 + $70 for the tire carrier. hard to beat that price.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
here's another one, kaymar tradesman, on a FZJ80:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Those look like dishwasher racks.

-S

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Shaggy - that's serious roof rack.

However, I have come full circle on the spare tire on the roof idea. Now I truly believe that Toyota has the best arrangement for the spare tire. There doesn't appear to be room between the back axle and bumper to fit the spare underneath. For everyday driving the spare on the roof is not the best for (1) emergency handling with the high center of gravity and (2) height, when the typical garage door is 7'-0" high. Also, I don't want to take up room inside the vehicle with a spare mounted over the rear wheelwell, ala Cherokee. So I have accepted the current placement.

I favor a clamshell back door (with swing arm spare), but I'm not as bummed about the current design after the discussion yesterday. However, I still want a sunroof and rear quarter panel windows that open.

That roof rack of yours has room for grandma and her rocker. Rock-on

1 - 20 of 24 Posts