Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI! What do you know about the recall that FJ stalls at hight speeds?
I am looking to buy an FJ Cruiser in Florida and I'm concerned about it.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
I’ve driven mine waayyy faster than I’d like to admit, no stalling problem. Wait, you’re not a cop, are you? 😳😳😳

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
It was explained to me by a Toyota service tech it happens at high speeds driven over prolonged periods of time. Something about in impellers failing inside the pump itself. Its across many models in the Toyota line up.Waiting for a letter That they have a remedy. It only effects 2014 models.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
WHY would they change the fuel pump after 2013?
All models use a Denso pump and therefore would probably point to a manufacturing issue. It has nothing to do with a Toyota issue persay and it seems that parts numbers shows they share 2010+ for the fuel pump assembly.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Reading the NHTSA documents carefully I found that they said the pump failure was extremely rare, and it was found at low speeds so far, but that it could, possibly, occur at high speed, and though the engine shutting off is, in itself, not an automatically dangerous thing (handling, braking, and so on would not be affected immediately), the concern was that it could possibly happen so they decided to recall them all and put in a new pump (engine shut off at high speed is considered more of a concern than engine shutting off at low speed).

Interestingly, they went on to say that failed pumps from the field were able to reproduce it but only occasionally, implying that if it did happen to someone perhaps they could restart and continue (i.e. possibly not an automatic "walk home"). This observation is just my own thinking after reading what the public documents say about it.
Any failure of a driveline part is a concern, just found those facts to be interesting.

As to why did the pump change in '13: everyone in the industry is always looking for ways to improve the product and sometimes a change brings with it a new concern that wasn't fully understood at first, leading, unfortunately, sometimes to an issue in the field.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got a safety recall notice, 2014 FJ. Anyone have any other details as to why Toyota is willing to pay for an unlimited length of time on a rental so that I'll stop driving it? Something to do with a fuel pump. Yet, they're "ok with me driving it if I prefer" - very odd. Sounds like lawyers are involved.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Besides that, here's another thing to worry about (that is, besides bear attacks and lightning strikes!):

·
Registered
20 Posts
I received the letter on my 2014 FJ AND my 2018 Tacoma for the same issue.

·
Premium Member
12,303 Posts
I received the letter on my 2014 FJ AND my 2018 Tacoma for the same issue.
Son of a ......I just picked up 2018 Taco...guess Ibetter ask the dealer about the pump before I take delivery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts