Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So coming on to about 110k miles on the FJ i'm needing to replace some rear suspension parts (squeaky bushings but want to replace everything) and wondering if I should go all out on the FJ or wait untill a redesign and spend my money on a new one?

Any rumors of a redesign in 2012? If likely I want to wait and spend that money on a new truck if it is a better design.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
It's hard to say, each year something's been tweeked but not so much to the point that I'd trade mine in. You'd have to consider your trade in value at 110,000 miles and if it'd be worth it rather than doing the suspension on your current one.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I agree with the above. The only way I would sell is if the redesign is a diesel motor. 110,000 miles will kill the dealer resale but maybe a private owner you could get a few more $$.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that they were thinking about a CJ cruiser based on the Rav 4 engines and size. YUK

·
Registered
521 Posts
If this is the case, its only a matter of time until they base one off the Prius (sorry I just threw up a little.)

Can you say H2 & H3, both worthless.

I remember reading somewhere that they were thinking about a CJ cruiser based on the Rav 4 engines and size. YUK

·
Registered
952 Posts
Replace the parts that are worn. The rig will last for a long time with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I thought I heard that 2012 was the last year for the FJ. Wouldn't make much sense for Toyota to do a redesign this late in the game would it? OF course then maybe I'm totally out of the loop on current info.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Toyota's future US models and plans

"The FJ Cruiser was to have been dropped but it seems to be dragging on, with no replacement set up. "

My thoughts are like this, The second the Toyota company heads choose to redesign the FJ, consider it gone and a totally new vehicle is replacing it. Lets face it, It suits a very small crowd, of people who don't care there are massive blind spots, don't care its hard as hell to get in the back, and don't care that it has next to none luxuries.

And I'm not complaining, it suits me at this point in my life perfectly. I say forget trade in value. Bahh my 330i BMW lost 27k in value off the lot before I even had a oil change. That's like totaling my FJ on my dime. I actually have more respect for the FJ because I can do what I want and I dont feel enslaved to the dealership after I left. Cant do crap to void the warranty of bmw or I'll be forever indebted.

·
Registered
961 Posts
On questions like this I always think of the upfront costs associated with any "new" design. It costs literally 10's of millions just to do the design and tool-up to produce a new body and frame, before you produce anything to sell. So this is not a decision the automakers take lightly. SO I find it doubtful that there is a redesign in the works....

On the other hand with this in mind why would any car maker produce an ugly car (think gremlin, yugo, etc.). If it costs the same why not design/produce a beautiful car (think Jag, corvett, lotus, lambo, FJ :))...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think in the next few years, there will be no big style change for the FJ....they just began to sale it in Australia and in Japan with a RHD....

For me, the next step....a convertible like they show us previously!

The next truck will be change is the Tacoma....

my 2cent

·
Registered
458 Posts
most like it they or stop produce after recent earthquake or they gonna produce for few years until they recover other plants in japan ....
my 3 cent on producing for few years ...

and I would agree with proper maintenance this car easily can go up to 300-400K

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
If the FJ (RHD) sales in Austraila and Japan have promise, then I think the FJ will continue to be produced. Hopefully Toyota will expand markets into China and the jungles of Asia. The fact the FJ is produced exclusively in Japan (like the Landcruiser, which doesn't have a large sales volume either), bodes well for the FJ to continue production for a few more years. Remember the original FJ40 had garnered a following in places that are difficult to access, such as Austraila, Middle East, Africa, South America, and jungles of Asia.

Another point to consider is that Toyota produced the BJ series for many years before redesigning the vehicle and introducing the FJ series. Hopefully the FJ Cruiser will establish a decent market in "outback" areas and provide Toyota with enough profit to justify a redesign soon (not 2012, but maybe 2014 or 2015). It's not a foregone conclusion, but steady market growth is good for our beloved vehicle.

Practice patience young grasshoppers.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's a low volume vehicle, so not likely to be redesigned soon. Besides, the current body style is already timeless.

With people liking the vehicle so much, and now many owners buying their second one, it bodes well for the future of the FJ. It's a great truck, that stands apart from the competition.

Michael

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tightening CAFE rules may make it tough to keep the FJ in the US lineup - new tacoma due in 2013 but as has been pointed out plenty in other places it is not a *true* 120 platform - it is specific to the US/Mex/Can Market. Rest of the world gets the Hilux/Prado (4Runner) which was just redone without affecting the FJ - point being, FJ is in a niche and will not necessarily be redesigned in conjunction with a platform change or update to another line. I'm guessing they keep it going with minor tweaks until people stop buying enough of them to make it worth importing and certifying it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts