Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Rack (84" x 56") (42104BF), which weighs 70.5 lbs. I've read in other posts that the max load on the factory roof rack is 165lbs. Anyone know what the roof load limit is without any rack (so the actual limit for the Rhino Rack can be calculated)? It's on a 2007 FJ.
Thanks!

·
11,301 Posts
The OEM specs for the roof rack mounts, weight evenly distributed, is 300# moving and 600# static, as in not moving. Check Rhino's specs for their weight max.

The OEM rack has its rating stamped on 1 of the tubes.

Buy a new Hardware kit for the mastic and fiber washers.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Request for anyone out there with the original Toyota rack ... can you see if you can find the load rating markings, and post a photo?

There are posts here that state the crossbars have markings stating "154 lb / 70 kg maximum load distributed evenly". Is that 154 lb per crossbar, or 154 lb total rack load capacity?

There is no mention in my '14 Owner's Manual that a roof rack even exists.

·
11,301 Posts
I know there was a photo, I'm looking for it as well. It's been regurgitated on here so many times, I guess it's become "fact" in regards to the 300/600# roof rating and the 145 or 154# loads, but is it really? I wouldn't want anyone injured or worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Rack (84" x 56") (42104BF), which weighs 70.5 lbs. I've read in other posts that the max load on the factory roof rack is 165lbs. Anyone know what the roof load limit is without any rack (so the actual limit for the Rhino Rack can be calculated)? It's on a 2007 FJ.
Thanks!
Turns out the rack manual has the answer. Who reads the 'book of instructions' first? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts