Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock Roof Rack Weight Capacity

I want to carry 3-4 five gallon containers of gas on top of the stock FJ roof rack for an extended trip in to the back country and was wondering if anyone knew what the load limit was for it.

Thanks in advance.

MoSun

·
Registered
465 Posts
Re: Stock Roof Rack Weight Capacity

I think I read that it is 150 lbs. But I have broke 2 of the stock crossbars where they attach to the round tubes, so I would be careful and make sure you distribute the weight well. Good luck. BTW the crossbar ends are plastic.

Cheers
Shawn

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

Shawn's FJ said:
I think I read that it is 150 lbs. But I have broke 2 of the stock crossbars where they attach to the round tubes, so I would be careful and make sure you distribute the weight well. Good luck. BTW the crossbar ends are plastic.

Cheers
Shawn

That's what I read as well, but there was a review a while ago, and they had two guys and a camera taking pictures standing on a piece of playwood that was on the rack, so I'd say its considerable more. Anyone have any other information on this. I'd like to know.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts

thenookie said:
That's what I read as well, but there was a review a while ago, and they had two guys and a camera taking pictures standing on a piece of playwood that was on the rack, so I'd say its considerable more. Anyone have any other information on this. I'd like to know.
that's on the Edmunds thing I posted I believe....

·
Banned
1,465 Posts

MoSun said:
I want to carry 3-4 five gallon containers of gas on top of the stock FJ roof rack for an extended trip in to the back country and was wondering if anyone knew what the load limit was for it.

Thanks in advance.

MoSun
Even at 150, you should be fine with 4 - 5 gallon containers. If you still have concern, consider something flat (1/4" MDF) to distribute the load over the area) Doubt that you'd need it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Here is the official press reliase from Toyota. My thanks to the members and those in the chatroom where I found the link.

The successor to the legendary FJ Series features an integrated, tubular roof rack

Feb 28, 2006
By: Press Release
Toyota Land Crusier at Off-Road.com

PONTIAC, Mich. -- JAC Products, a leading designer and manufacturer of original-equipment roof racks for vehicles worldwide, has worked jointly with the Toyota Motor Sales vehicle team to create a bold roof rack for the 2007 FJ Cruiser that will be introduced early 2006.

The goal was to create an integrated, highly-functional rack that would support the legendary rugged image associated with the Toyota FJ series. The "clean sheet of paper" approach resulted in a roof rack that features a 165 lb. load capacity; a tubular, extruded aluminum design that includes an integrated basket; and a textured, black powder-coat finish that is striking in its intentional color contrast to the white roof.

The FJ is positioned to capture the youth market with its straight-forward styling, authentic off-road performance, and affordable price. The tubular roof rack supports the FJ Series' historic reputation for outdoor adventure. Optional bicycle and ski rack accessories from Mont Blanc(R) (a subsidiary of JAC Products) are also available.

JAC Products' role in the development of the roof rack has continued from the initial concept, design, prototype, and testing phases, through to the FJ production launch in 2006. JAC Products has been partnering with Toyota on roof racks and other accessory projects since 1978.

The multitude of photos and stories proudly chronicled by enthusiasts on- line underscore the heritage of Toyota's FJ 4X4 Land Cruisers of the '60s and '70s, harkening back to a day when the functional acrobatics of an off-road vehicle were all that mattered, and amenities were few.

MoSun

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

RubiconSS said:
!65 lbs. Cool. "Some" of me could actually sit up there.
Man, I want to find that review where they had a picture of a couple of people standing on a piece of MDF shooting the review...

Combined that had to of been more than 165 lbs.

·
Registered
699 Posts

RubiconSS said:
Even at 150, you should be fine with 4 - 5 gallon containers. If you still have concern, consider something flat (1/4" MDF) to distribute the load over the area) Doubt that you'd need it.
I second that notion!

I huve a huge trip coming up in august and have been contimplating my options. a little nervous about the wind noise because it is a 45 hour drive that will be done straight with the odd stop for coffee and let the dogs out. I hope the wind doesnt hinder my sleep attempts when im passenger.

Yes! i do attempt to SLEEP IN IT

·
Registered
56 Posts

when you find it, it might be with the gobi rack, if I am remembering correctly...

I could be wrong, but...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

thenookie said:
Man, I want to find that review where they had a picture of a couple of people standing on a piece of MDF shooting the review...

Combined that had to of been more than 165 lbs.

Yes and I believe they used a couple of 2x4's and a sheet of 4x8 plywood on top of the rails, not on the load bars alone.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts

The picture of the two guys filming from the roof of an FJ were standing on a thick sheet of plywood (probably with 2x2 reinforcements to maintain rigidity). The plywood made contact with the large 1-3/4" outside tubes, not the small crossbracing. I'm guessing the 175 pounds rating applies to the basket area formed by the small crossbracing. Weight of gear or equipment supported by the small crossbracing would define the load limit. The large outside tubes (anchored into the roof structure) would be able to support a much greater weight, especially if the load was well distributed. Probably not rated for the tater tot eating chicks that FJCharlotte hangs with. IMO

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

RubiconSS said:
I climbed up and read it off the rack.:thinkerg:
Doh! Getting a ladder now.

Well I'll be damned. Your right.

MoSun " shakes his stupid head ":jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well.. lets see now.. 154 divided by 6.25 per gallon means that it can carry about 24.64 gallons of fuel.. evenly distributed of course.

I'll let you know if anything breaks after the bouncing around on the trail.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts