Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really been considering purchasing an FJ. I drive mainly highway, 20 miles to and from work, and was just curious on what everyone thought of them that does this type of driving?

Also I am into lifted vehicles, have had 3 lifted silverados, and was curious on how much it is to lift them, probably only 3 or so inches.

Any other advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
i got my lift kit for around $800 (old man emu - 3 inch lift)... if you dont put it on yourself you'll prob have to spend around $500 to get it installed. when i first got my FJ i was living in Baton Rouge and working in New Orleans. i drove an hour and 15 minutes there and back 5 days a week for about 3 months. in my opinion it's an awesome vehicle for long drives..except for the gas cost of course.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Can't tell you what a 20 mile commute is like, but my work is just under 50 miles away, so I stick my butt in the seat for a minimum of 100 miles every day. I still smile every time I get in it and have nothing but confidence as I barrel down the highway or city streets.

As for lifting - If you're going to be sticking with the 20 mile trip to work and never take it offroad, you can get a spacer lift for a couple hundred. If you plan to take it off the beaten path, you can go with a fixed 3" lift such as the OME that Hodges mentioned or a couple other options for 6-900. Then you could go with an adjustable coilover system such as Toytec, Camburg, Icon etc... for a few hundred more. Plenty of options in a pretty wide price range to meet your needs/desires.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
The FJ is a awesome ride! There are many choices available from small spacer lifts, coil overs and up to 6" full drop suspension. If your already into driving trucks and SUV's than MPG isn't much different maybe better.

There are many useful threads to read thru in this forum on any topic...

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
welcome aboard. i really have nothing to contribute here, because it looks as though your question has been answered. i love driving my fj. i feel very comfortable, and safe cruising down the highway.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
All I do is drive, my job is territory sales. I have 111,000 on it now & no complaints. Some people don't like the "stiff" seats, but I like them. So as far as a commute, all day is a commute for me. If you get an FJ & don't do alot of hard core off roading you could do a spacer lift. Cheap, you can do it yourself if you want to, & you still get the lift. The kits are: new taller coils in the rear & spacer blocks that go on top of the towers in the front, pretty simple. Good Luck:cheers: Oh, there around $300 or so...

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you like the look then shoot just get that 3 inch kit. I have had lifted trucks before and this vehicle has plenty of clearance for majority of obstacles out there. I would say just get more aggressive tires screw the lift.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have really been considering purchasing an FJ. I drive mainly highway, 20 miles to and from work, and was just curious on what everyone thought of them that does this type of driving?

Also I am into lifted vehicles, have had 3 lifted silverados, and was curious on how much it is to lift them, probably only 3 or so inches.

Any other advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

Hi

I drive my fj 60 mile round trip daily (90% highway) and never have I gotten less than 20 mpg which I check almost at every fillup. The best that I have gotten was 24mpg during the summer.

Anything that you add to the fj the worst the mpg will get including bigger tires, lift, metal bumpers and etc.

George

1 - 10 of 10 Posts