1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
It is up from 2009 but the first couple of years they were in the 45-50K per year range. Just sayin'. They'll be down again when gas prices going up.

Toyota could boost their numbers sold per model if they eliminated some overlap. There isn't much difference between some of their big SUVs. A couple years ago when everyone was patting Toyota on the back (because of the Prius) and the US automakers were getting slammed "for pushing big SUVs", I was wondering if nobody noticed how many big SUVs Toyota was pushing via two divisions (Toyota and Lexus). Turns out GM had the higher average MPG all along anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
The first two years sales were strong (45-50K) but dropped significantly as high gas prices and subsequent weak economy took charge in 2008. Plant retooling was very minimal (i.e. no major changes). Demand was just not there and then Toyota wisely dropped production to match demand rather than resort to heavy discounting to move them. Don't feel offended. Everyone's sales were down in '09 . . . but US auto makers were the big winners in '10 as their quality ratings increased substantially and they regained customers over Toyota's early '10 problems/recalls.

With gas prices again set to return to record high levels this year and next, I doubt you will ever see a return of the '06-07 sales numbers. A "major" redesign (assuming this means better or improved) would help and a small diesel would make it it an immediate hit with old Toyota die hards as well as diesel fans everywhere.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, in 2010 the FJ was just about the only model in Toyota's lineup that wasn't recalled for one reason or another, which might explain the increase up to a point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts