Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a recent avalanche and 4 persons were tragically killed.

In the Seattle Times was a photo of one of the King County Search and Rescue folks and he was using an FJ.

image owned by ERIKA SCHULTZ / THE SEATTLE TIMES

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,284 Posts
I saw that in a video last night and wasn't sure if it was an official rig or if he was just using someones radio. Neat if that is an official rig.

Sorry to hear about the skiers getting killed. One lady that survived it was on the news talking about it and she gave them some info on an "air bag" pack that she had on. She thinks that is what saved her life.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe in our area Search and Rescue is staffed by very experienced volunteers. SO, I cant say if that is his rig or someone else's rig.

Have you seen the X air bag you can use to jack up your vehicle. It is almost the same thing. It is carried in a back pack and when deployed it inflates and create a safe area around the individual so they can stay on top of the avalanche. While she was still stuck (snow is like cement) in the snow, her head will be above the snow and she can breathe and wait for rescue. One of the main causes of death in avalanche is suffocation. You usually cant dig out because it so packed together and you have no movement since your body is locked in whatever position you wind up in.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,284 Posts
Yea I've seen those bags. I never thought about it when they showed video of that pack on the news though. Neat idea.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,284 Posts
The one little story on the news that I caught made it sound like she had the pack and lived because of it and the others didn't have one and should have. I'm not really sure what the whole story is though.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from what I have read, she was the only one who had the device.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Correct, it's all volunteer as far as I know, and they need people from what I gather. I've been approached by them in random parking lots a couple times where they informed me of their meeting times and whatnot. If I had more free time I'd probably try and see what it's all about, they've all seemed like nice guys. Mostly Jeepers actually. There's a S&R silver FJ round these parts that lurks on the forum too...

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Search and rescue can be a very fulfilling pastime, I used to do that in Oklahoma on horseback. I may look into doing it here in texas now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts