Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next mod will be skid plates. I have looked at Bud Built and All Pro. BB are a little pricey, but look great...AP also look good to me. I am not a "thrasher and basher", but dont want to sacrafice parts over a couple hundred bucks. Let me know which skids you have and their performance. And are there any other companies I should look at?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought bud builts and think they are great. Easy to intall and they look good painted red. I have not had a chance to try them out though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you don't go crazy then maybe you should look into Ricochet skids. They are aluminum and they come with an anodized coating (your color choice). But with Bud Built you get peace of mind no matter what you roll over. :clap:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got bud builts too. they were my first mod and I have beat them time and time again. They are great, but you do lose a bit of gound clearance and I have goten hung up on them. All Pro is nice too and if you aren't wheeln too hard, they offer a bit more ground clearance.

But I am very happy with the Bud Builts and would recomend them in a minute.

John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Put my Bud Builts to the test again today, lots of rocks on some blue trails and I felt secure with the skid plates. I'd sacrifice a little bit of clearance to something I know is built strong.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
weavinFJ,

All Pro IFS&Trans skid Trail Gear transfer case skid very happy with all of them.

JKFJ08

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Brad at Ricochet is a personal friend. That being said. It seems like the aluminum is the way to go for the occasional user. I try to hit a trail every other weekend during the not snowy months and the Ricochets have done their job. I don't see the point in carrying around the extra weight if you're not constantly applying big rocks to your skids. Even then I would consider the Ricochets. Do some searches there are a ton of people that have the buds and a ton with the Ricochets. I'm not an All-Pro guy, so I have nothing to say about them.
Bud's diff skid is sexy. It will be that or a Boztec for me, (I'm rich with plans but poor in my wallet)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I went with the Ricochets as I did not want the extra weight. I do not plan on rock crawling on a regular basis but will do some dispersed camping that have some questionable "roads".
For the diff I went with Boztec. Very beefy and well put together.

:rocker:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'm partial to ricochet as well. I only offroad here and there and I don't beat my rig up on rocks so the aluminum ricochets fit the bill for me. Lightweight and a good price IMO. Also they are a breeze to install.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Full 5 piece set of BudBuilt stainless steel skids here. Also got a 6th stainless steel piece from Bud to fit the gap between the front skid and the leading edge of my Lucrum mount, which protects the lower end of the radiator.

S/S is a little more pricey but don't have to worry about rust. Very beefy and don't have to worry about rust. Don't have a diff skid -- have never needed one on the trail (which doesn't mean I might not need one in the future) and am not willing to pay $300-400 for one -- but if I bought one it would also be a Budbuilt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This might just be me being a little crazy, but I am not certain why so many people are concerned about the weight of the S/S skid plates vs the aluminum. People use the excuse that the aluminum skids work for occasional wheeling, when in reality it only takes one big rock to puncture or bend thru the aluminum skids and mess something up. I am guessing (and this is purely just a guess) that most people are concerned about the extra 125lbs from the S/S skids causing them to lose say 2MPG. If this is the case you should really stop and think about the fact that losing 2MPG might cause you and extra $200 a year in gasoline, or you can just puncture thru your aluminum skids and drop a $1000 on about anything that might break. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
I'd like to see you puncture through the Ricochets. I have them and wheel them hard. I think you need to look at how thick they are. I have had mine for close to 2 years, with many hard trails . If you puncture through these, I think you have more problems than just the strength of the skids. You may need a drivers lesson or 2 . You can distort them, but you can do that with steel too. The Ricochet are also pretty easy to replace, modular pieces are not that large, so replacing one section isn't that costly.
When it boils down to weight saving, it all adds up, with all the mods you do. Saving pounds can affect more than just the mileage. It also affect handling and wear items too.
thanks
Don

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got Full All-Pro Skids front to back for a few reasons They all come Powder Coated Black, Very Competitive Pricing, and Everybody has the bud builts, I wanted to be different,(there doesn't seem to be many of us with these) and they all fit like a Glove!! Skids plates where the best Investment I ever made! and these are going on the second winter here in Northern Ontario and the PowderCoating is holding up great to the salt!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have Ricochet and can attest they are well built and thick. I would suspect strongly that something else would give before you could really puncture the skids. If you search around you'll see some good threads where people who have put them through their paces post pictures showing what they can hold up against.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd like to see you puncture through the Ricochets. I have them and wheel them hard. I think you need to look at how thick they are. I have had mine for close to 2 years, with many hard trails . If you puncture through these, I think you have more problems than just the strength of the skids. You may need a drivers lesson or 2 . You can distort them, but you can do that with steel too. The Ricochet are also pretty easy to replace, modular pieces are not that large, so replacing one section isn't that costly.
When it boils down to weight saving, it all adds up, with all the mods you do. Saving pounds can affect more than just the mileage. It also affect handling and wear items too.
thanks
Don
^x2 They'll bend, but don't see how you could "puncture" it too easily.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My 5 piece Bud Built set was worth every penny. The main reason I would recommend these over an aluminum set: the sheer weight of the FJ.

You have to remember that if you're going off a rock ledge or an otherwise precarious spot, you could be coming down HARD on your undercarriage--even if you're going slow.

The FJ is just one big, heavy beast. It helps to have thick, solid steel underneath. Even with those, I have some bends in mine, plenty of gashes and scrapes.

If you have to change the fluid in your xfer case, the dealership will probably cry about taking them off though. Even though they are pretty easy to remove, it is a few bolts and they're not exactly light. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts