Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks. Just had my Titanium '07 FJ stolen in Montreal last week at a hotel. It was with the valet and parked near the hotel's entrance since it did not fit in the underground garage. The valet still had the keys (which I've matched against the spare at home so it doesn't look like there was a switch) and no windows were broken as there was no glass to be found.

The odd thing is the FJ is equipped with an immobilizer. Theoretically, as I understand it, the vehicle could not be driven off (which it was -- there was a witness) without the key unless someone had a laptop with Toyota codes, etc., to plug into the vehicle.

Right now I'm waiting to hear from USAA's adjusters to know what the next steps are.

My questions for this esteemed forum are:

- Any other ideas regarding how someone could drive off with my car, sans keys (at least the one I had)?
- Has anyone else had the misfortune of having their FJ stolen? How was the insurance process, etc., especially if you have USAA?

Many thx for your time and consideration.

VT Blue

Btw: Am looking at a TT right now. Seems the obvious choice.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Hi, folks. Just had my Titanium '07 FJ stolen in Montreal last week at a hotel. It was with the valet and parked near the hotel's entrance since it did not fit in the underground garage. The valet still had the keys (which I've matched against the spare at home so it doesn't look like there was a switch) and no windows were broken as there was no glass to be found.

The odd thing is the FJ is equipped with an immobilizer. Theoretically, as I understand it, the vehicle could not be driven off (which it was -- there was a witness) without the key unless someone had a laptop with Toyota codes, etc., to plug into the vehicle.

Right now I'm waiting to hear from USAA's adjusters to know what the next steps are.

- Any other ideas regarding how someone could drive off with my car, sans keys (at least the one I had)?
- Has anyone else had the misfortune of having their FJ stolen? How was the insurance process, etc., especially if you have USAA?

VT Blue

Wow! Sorry to hear about that. Usually never right again after they've been stolen.

Not sure how this could happen. The dirtbags are getting better at this all the time.

Wish you the best of luck with the situation.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
That really sucks. Hope you find it undamaged and the sleezballs that stole it put in jail.

Pretty easy for someone at Valet to make a copy of the key and have a cohort drive it off.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
That really sucks. Hope you find it undamaged and the sleezballs that stole it put in jail.

Pretty easy for someone at Valet to make a copy of the key and have a cohort drive it off.
X2, nevadaesh. That just sucks!

Mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
That sucks man!!!!!! I actually had Lojack installed on my FJ when I bought it. Whether or not it's worth the money, I don't know and hope to never find out but it is a little peace of mind I suppose.

Hope they find the bastards!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry to hear that. That really Bites. hope you get it all straightened out.:mecry:

·
Registered
442 Posts
THere is a 07 Ti for sale in the Vehicle for Sale section.....

On a serious note, it is a shame that has happened to you. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
In Vegas hotels they had a crime ring involving valets, someone would hand the valet a list of cars they wanted and say, when you park one of these call me. They can make a copy of they key in about 30 sec. Ask the police for past reports of cars stolen from that location. I bet you arent the only one.

As for the immobiliser its only armed when you set the factory alarm. Unless you reprogram it, its not set to auto arm. You can buy alarms that you can immobilise the car from your home computer and see exactly where its at.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In Vegas hotels they had a crime ring involving valets, someone would hand the valet a list of cars they wanted and say, when you park one of these call me. They can make a copy of they key in about 30 sec. Ask the police for past reports of cars stolen from that location. I bet you arent the only one.

As for the immobiliser its only armed when you set the factory alarm. Unless you reprogram it, its not set to auto arm. You can buy alarms that you can immobilise the car from your home computer and see exactly where its at.
First, thanks to everyone for your kind notes/wishes. Yes, this sucks royally and I hope like hell it doesn't happen to anyone else. Please take precautions, as you never know.

Chatsworth hit the nail on the head as there were about a dozen other vehicles taken that night alone (the Canadian GP is in town). Word from my local Toyota dealer is that there's a standing order for stolen FJs to be exported to Poland -- apparently they're in high demand there.

My only question for you, Chatsworth, is how certain you are that the alarm has to be set (I assume via the key fob when you hit "lock") for the immobiliser to be armed. Not that I doubt you, it's just that it makes a big difference because if it was not armed, that means that the vehicle was not locked and is surely an oversight by the hotel/would possibly make them culpable. Or, as you point out, someone made a key very quickly (I checked in at 5:10PM and the vehicle was seen leaving at 8:45PM the same night).

Again, thanks to all for your kind wishes and to Chatsworth for the insight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I managed to lock my keys in my FJ while cleaning it at my Dads farm,, which is about an hour drive from my house.... I have free lockout service, so I called in the pros to come open the truck and retrieve my keys..... except the dude couldn't get in!! He tried to break into the truck for 45 mins before I told him to take off... I had to take my Dad's truck, drive all the way to my place and back to get the spare keys in order to get in!!!!!!!

Hope my story makes people feel a little better about the security of these things!!.... but of course... there is always a good rock through the window!:rofl:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That story sucked right up to were you said you have USAA.....Dude....you're fine!!! USAA rocks!!!
Yeah, I've gotta say I'm lucky with USAA. Will know more tomorrow when I speak with the adjuster. It's funny, I hate to blemish my record with them (have only had minimal claims in 30+ years) but that's what insurance is there for. Am curious how much they'll cover. The trick will be getting the hotel to pick up the balance.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Sorry to hear that.. Hopefully you’ll get retail plus from the insurance and get a new FJ. My 03 Rubicon was stolen from the parking lot at work, next door to the campus police department, and never seen again. I learned a few things during the ordeal however. Basically there are two primary types of vehicle thefts; the joy ride and the targeted theft. The joy ride, theft of opportunity, type of thing is one in which alarms, immobilizers, etc. can and do help. A joy ride vehicle normally turns up within 24-48 hours. A targeted or professional theft is virtually unpreventable and the vehicle will never be seen again. The “ring” attempted to steal my Jeep twice and failed, due to chance really. They then tracked me down and stole it from work. It was on a shopping list according to the PD here. Good luck.. Ron

VT Blue

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Doesn't the hotel have any outdoor cameras? It sounds like a hotel with valet service would also have cameras

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
First of all, I hope you either get your truck back undamaged, or get a sweet new TT.

Second, if you have an 07 then you dont have an immobiliser. If you have the plain rubber key and not the nice new 08 key then there isnt an immobiliser. I know this because I have an 07 and I got an aftermarket high end alarm with remote start. The alarm needs to bypass the immobiliser, but our 07s do not have one to bypass. I am pretty sure of this. I can use my spare plain metal key which I had cut at ace hardware to open my doors and start the car and drive away. That would not be possible if I had an immobiliser system.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts