Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that I really hope someone can answer.
We have a 2008 FJ Cruiser, Manual transmission. My husband burned out the clutch towing the car up a steep hill that was covered in ice and snow...so he replaced the clutch using the service manual steps and it runs fine now...the problem is its stuck in 4 low!

He's not sure if its because it was in 4 low and neutral when he started taking it all apart to replace the clutch or because he says when he took off the rear drive shaft (propellor shaft) it fell out but he had marked it so he was able to put it back on and he thought they had lined up the splines properly...dont know if these had anything to do with it

We tested the neutral position indicator and the low 4 indicator and those are fine. it just wont shift out of 4 low!

Anyone have any ideas? Its our only vehicle that fits the whole family so we are hoping it doesnt need major work done in a dealership...we changed the clutch ourselves to avoid that! but we need the FJ to have a top speed of more than 20 :) thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Well never happened on my FJ but in my jeep the linkage sometime gets out of wack when a bolt comes loose. Normally I loosen the bolt have my girlfriend move the lever from 4lo to drive and then I tighten the bolt. I first figured it out by laying under the jeep with her moving the lever and I could see what was going on. Sounds like a simple linkage issue to me but again Ive never wrenched on the 4x4 system in the FJ. 2 cents

Welcome to the site
________
Web Shows

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have you tried shifting out of 4L while moving the vehicle very slowly (with the driveshafts connected of course)

Sometimes the gears need a little help disengaging.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
When you did the clutch did you seperate the transfer case (it's actually a center diff) from the transmission? Or did you drop the whole thing as an assembly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you did the clutch did you seperate the transfer case (it's actually a center diff) from the transmission? Or did you drop the whole thing as an assembly?
we dropped the whole transmission, we didnt separate the transfer case from the transmission after it was out.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I usally have to drive forwards a bit and back bit multipal times to get mine to come out of low, then other times it will come right out... have you tried getting the driveshafts in and do it then ?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
If you didn't seperate them they are just being stubborn like others have suggested, or there is something wrong with the shifter or the linkage. I highly doubt it's something internal if you didn't seperate them. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Also, if you don't regularly use 4xLow, as sugested in the manual, it will become 'sticky' as you are seeing.... it' needs to be cycled once in a while to stay smooth....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, if you don't regularly use 4xLow, as sugested in the manual, it will become 'sticky' as you are seeing.... it' needs to be cycled once in a while to stay smooth....
LOL No we use 4 low all the time...we live on a snowy/ice gravel road in the winter which is muddy in the spring so we need it! My husband thinks maybe the problem is he had it in 4 low when he drove it up onto the ramps to take it all apart and so it was in neutral and 4 low when he changed out the clutch...

We are going to try the suggestions of rolling slowely back and forth and trying to get it out of 4 low again...maybe going down a hill might help?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts