Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think everyone at the summit should be initiated by the triple atomic wings. Just to bring some Cincinnati love to the Rockies.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Where are triple atomic wings from BW3?
Bring them wings on I LOVE HOT STUFF!!!:cheers:
I make salsa with habanero peppers. that next day stuff only lasts for a little while soon you have no feeling left!!!:rawr:
Are you bringing the silly "Chili" with chocolate, cinnamon and spaghetti too???

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
That could be arranged if you bring some of that salsa you speak of :D It's not silly, its delicious. mmmmmm Skyline sounds delicious for dinner. Thank you...

The triple atomic wings we speak of are from a place called Quaker Steak n Lube, which is a small chain in Ohio and KY.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
That could be arranged if you bring some of that salsa you speak of :D It's not silly, its delicious. mmmmmm Skyline sounds delicious for dinner. Thank you...

The triple atomic wings we speak of are from a place called Quaker Steak n Lube, which is a small chain in Ohio and KY.
:hungry: Not aware of any wing places in Ouray but I know Moab Brewery in Moab has 'em. Come on over before the Summit. :bigthumb:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Holy crap! I will gladly pay you to go back to your former avatar tricks :cheers:
I was kind of getting used to the occasional changes, but this is just unacceptable :lol:

·
Registered
493 Posts
I lead one of the Alpine Loop train runs last year. They were short of trail leaders and needed someone to help. I was asked, and stepped up. Had a great time doing it with a great group if people.

We even got back in plenty of time to have dinner!!:hungry:

KyFJGuy

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got in trouble :( Don't worry....she'll be back eventually.
Really? In what way? Did she kick you out of the house? :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Trail-:ninja: Ahhh, 'tis better to have too many trail leaders than not enough. :cheers:

Definitely. I was recruited the first time I led a trail and then made sure to lead each year thereafter. I was considering leading two or three this year but will be helping to oversee the trail leader arrangements this year, as Matt revealed above. If you have any questions or concerns, please ask. :bigthumb:
Is it possible to do all the trails in 3 days? If not what would you recommend for a first timer? We would like to as much as possible but don't want to miss any of the festivities either.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is it possible to do all the trails in 3 days? If not what would you recommend for a first timer? We would like to as much as possible but don't want to miss any of the festivities either.
No. There are way too many trails in the Ouray area to do them all in 3 days.
If I could only pick one trail that you MUST do, it would be Imogene from Ouray to Telluride (you could do it on your own, but it's more fun with a group).

Then, if your rig is lifted with protection, I'd say you MUST do Poughkeepsie Gulch (together with others for sure if it's your first time).

Both of these trails are part of the 'official' trail runs. So, I'd say just sign up for them and then one other, and you'll have a great time. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
No. There are way too many trails in the Ouray area to do them all in 3 days.
If I could only pick one trail that you MUST do, it would be Imogene from Ouray to Telluride (you could do it on your own, but it's more fun with a group).

Then, if your rig is lifted with protection, I'd say you MUST do Poughkeepsie Gulch (together with others for sure if it's your first time).

Both of these trails are part of the 'official' trail runs. So, I'd say just sign up for them and then one other, and you'll have a great time. :cheers:
Thanks we will definitely do those 2 trails. I assume these will be 1 day each?

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks we will definitely do those 2 trails. I assume these will be 1 day each?
Pretty much. I mean, if all you wanted to do is trail, trail, trail, you could actually get more than one in, but if you want to get the full experience of it, one main trail will be enough.

Here's the deal, once you go over Imogene from Ouray to Telluride, you have to come back. The 'official' route back for the official trail runs is Ophir Pass. Using that route and including a lunch stop in Telluride, the whole trip can be 8 hours, even if you're not wasting enormous amounts of time doing extracurricular sight-seeing on the trail run.

For the PG one, we usually take Corkscrew Gulch back down, and that entire trip is usually about 6 hours.

If you go for the Alpine Loop trail (definitely recommend it once, to say you've done it), plan on the whole thing being at least 9 hours.

p.s. of course, you could baja any of these trails, and get back to town much quicker, but then what's the point? :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Pretty much. I mean, if all you wanted to do is trail, trail, trail, you could actually get more than one in, but if you want to get the full experience of it, one main trail will be enough.

Here's the deal, once you go over Imogene from Ouray to Telluride, you have to come back. The 'official' route back for the official trail runs is Ophir Pass. Using that route and including a lunch stop in Telluride, the whole trip can be 8 hours, even if you're not wasting enormous amounts of time doing extracurricular sight-seeing on the trail run.

For the PG one, we usually take Corkscrew Gulch back down, and that entire trip is usually about 6 hours.

If you go for the Alpine Loop trail (definitely recommend it once, to say you've done it), plan on the whole thing being at least 9 hours.

p.s. of course, you could baja any of these trails, and get back to town much quicker, but then what's the point? :lol:
Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see the Rocky Mountains. I have spent 37 years four wheeling my old FJ in the Sierra Nevada. I live 30 minutes from it and this trip will be a great change this year. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Ummm, no baja-ing. Not good for our rep and you never know when the ranger will be hiding around the corner. Even worse is making the locals dislike us. Of course, I know you were keeding. :D

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
It is if you start early and don't spend much time enjoying the views, taking pics and checking out the old mill locations or the towns of Ouray, Telluride, Lake City and Silverton.

They are all great and are not difficult IMO. I'd recommend starting with either the Alpine Loop (this is the longest day) or California / Corkscrew which combines the first half of Alpine Loop with Cali/Cork and is a shorter day with equal views. Imogene and Black Bear both come out in Telluride and return on Ophir. The only reason not to do Black Bear is a fear of heights . . . but that can be an issue on any of them. Pough will be the closest thing to hardcore wheeling. Last Dollar Road is beautiful if you like photographing ranchland with mountain backdrops.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
It is if you start early and don't spend much time enjoying the views, taking pics and checking out the old mill locations or the towns of Ouray, Telluride, Lake City and Silverton.

They are all great and are not difficult IMO. I'd recommend starting with either the Alpine Loop (this is the longest day) or California / Corkscrew which combines the first half of Alpine Loop with Cali/Cork and is a shorter day with equal views. Imogene and Black Bear both come out in Telluride and return on Ophir. The only reason not to do Black Bear is a fear of heights . . . but that can be an issue on any of them. Pough will be the closest thing to hardcore wheeling. Last Dollar Road is beautiful if you like photographing ranchland with mountain backdrops.
Thanks, we don't want to blast through and miss all the scenery. :cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
...Of course, I know you were keeding. :D
Well, anyone that knows me knows that I'm the opposite of baja-ing anything. So, I'm glad for that :lol:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Has anybody camped in Ouray during FJ Summit? I really don't feel like paying $700 for 3 nights in a motel, when I could be buying $700 worth of raffle tickets!:boohoo:

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Has anybody camped in Ouray during FJ Summit? I really don't feel like paying $700 for 3 nights in a motel, when I could be buying $700 worth of raffle tickets!:boohoo:
KOA is good and reasonable. They have cabins if they are not taken yet. Otherwise they have the essentials- a place to set up your tent, toilet and shower. What else do you need?

21 - 40 of 179 Posts