Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

241 - 260 of 288 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Any definite information and/or announcement from the organizers which trails are now open or still to open during the Summit? Would anyone know if Poughkeepsie, Black Bear Pass & Sydney Basin are now open?
Have not seen yet that Poughkeepsie, Black Bear or Sydney Basin are open. There are several resources on Facebook, here's one updated yesterday:

https://soajeep.com/trail-maps-conditions/

To help you plan, we’ve outlined what is currently available and what we predict based on County progress. Don't let the idea of not getting over the summits deter you from enjoying the lower elevation beauty!

In summary, Ophir and Last Dollar are OPEN. South Mineral Springs to Clear Lake is OPEN to treeline. Cunningham Gulch is OPEN. East Dallas is OPEN. Yankee Boy to Twin Falls is OPEN. Red Mountain Town is OPEN. Owl Creek is OPEN. Corkscrew is OPEN nearly to the final switchbacks on the Ironton side.
The way I'm reading this ^^^ if that it isn't on there saying it's open, then it's currently closed.

The dozers have been running for several weeks now, where normally they let the sun do its thing and then run them to clear up a few spots. Several of us from Colorado FJ Cruisers will be up starting Saturday 7/13 to pre-run trails and scout what's open. Between that and the official intel that the Summit directors are getting, I'd definitely expect some changes to the trail routes this year. Which trails and how they're changing, we may not know until a day or two before the event.

If you've got any spare money to invest, buy a brewery in Ouray then sell it back in the fall :) there will be a lot of beer consumed in the coming weeks.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.
Here's the full-resolution version, I won a Toyota photo contest on Facebook last year with this one, they sent me a GoPro and a few other things.

I bought a drone to bring to Summit this year, so the goal is to take more photos like this one (this is Metberry Gulch near Deckers, CO).

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/406/Road-Conditions

https://ouraycountyco.gov/151/Road-Bridge

https://www.facebook.com/HinsdaleOEM/?hc_ref=ARQBRS7W8ZGukr0_lX1AUAB_MmY5zp0CzhmXbcMbYaG3aKOHJf-VNJwuJybTxQFkDk8&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARBDH25tLvNbc-TrSKyHbvbaJj54eaf2L-65m3ji10j8Q3PgYlN02fHWRlX3Y8VMjverLFzQ7Ip7uka1KG57kHNLHxJ-rJdBFAaAJ4CPY4GGSV8Z-Ap8ButM6Hycla586L4-Ol2moSvtEqBLa58Q5pNBA-CqmIJF5pyFUrKhYVsq9TtWj_UoyqFHBgJCUwTMcBAvdLBbjvr2O71SQ-IOuEFGrLSasOWcPoW3DIPEfVG6AIZ0VRSRN5tYJADsdxC-7uUMePXDnU71GYg9xB_Edh9qyHKyTDp19c4xfinKRR5RD4k1fvJCFzKZnX2pHdz9Lw3V119ZCx8nQWjQPVBNZwTx3A&__tn__=kC-R

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Here's the full-resolution version, I won a Toyota photo contest on Facebook last year with this one, they sent me a GoPro and a few other things.

I bought a drone to bring to Summit this year, so the goal is to take more photos like this one (this is Metberry Gulch near Deckers, CO).

Great photos! Last year, I was in the Black Bear Pass photo group but was not able to take photos because of the accident at that time. Hope I'll be able to take some decent ones this year [if Black bear will open, hopefully].

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Great photos! Last year, I was in the Black Bear Pass photo group but was not able to take photos because of the accident at that time. Hope I'll be able to take some decent ones this year [if Black bear will open, hopefully].
Are you getting to Ouray early? One of our COFJ trail leaders had expressed an interest in doing Black Bear and having his drone record him coming down the steps, if the trail is open he'd probably welcome a few other people going with him. I'd love to have a shot with the river / waterfall in the bottom right corner and my truck on the steps on the left.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Are you getting to Ouray early? One of our COFJ trail leaders had expressed an interest in doing Black Bear and having his drone record him coming down the steps, if the trail is open he'd probably welcome a few other people going with him. I'd love to have a shot with the river / waterfall in the bottom right corner and my truck on the steps on the left.
I wouldn't mind pre-running it ahead of time, as I am leading it on Friday I think. I am arriving Monday.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
That would be great. Unfortunately, I'm arriving to Ouray Wednesday before noon. I'm in Moab Sunday to Tuesday. I'll take note of that though. Thanks.

·
Registered
903 Posts
From the Ouray County Road and Bridge Facebook page, 7 hours ago

"HIGH COUNTRY ROAD UPDATE: CORKSCREW PASS IS NOW OPEN!!! Crews are still working on avalanche debris on Engineer Pass, expected to be open by the end of next week. Updates will be posted here. Thank You for your patience as this year's snow pack has been a challenge."

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
Thank you for the update. Hope the 3 trails will open during the Summit. And you're right, Beer is the alternative, hence I'm updating my trail selection.

66479871_10217975824120144_4963504905814802432_n by Ramon Flores, on Flickr
Although we certainly hope for the best, it is always a possibility that some trails may not be open at all. Black bear and poughkeepsie are certainly in that category. We are in the process of trying to determine some alternative routes to make sure that everyone gets out on some trails during their regular trail times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Although we certainly hope for the best, it is always a possibility that some trails may not be open at all. Black bear and poughkeepsie are certainly in that category. We are in the process of trying to determine some alternative routes to make sure that everyone gets out on some trails during their regular trail times.
Will we be able to adjust our trail runs on site at fj summit?

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I wouldn't mind pre-running it ahead of time, as I am leading it on Friday I think. I am arriving Monday.
Easiest way to get in touch with us will be on FRS 7 (462.7125 MHz), HAM 146.460 or CB 7. Standard meet spot / time will be at the city hot springs parking lot at the north end of town at 9AM each day.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I'm hoping for the best. In Summit 11, I ran Black Bear Pass, last year - Poughkeepsie Gulch. And this year, I want to run Sydney Basin. I hope the latter will open since this will make my participation this year different from the other years.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I'm hoping for the best. In Summit 11, I ran Black Bear Pass, last year - Poughkeepsie Gulch. And this year, I want to run Sydney Basin. I hope the latter will open since this will make my participation this year different from the other years.
You are doing the same trails I am, though in different order. But from what I am hearing I am not optimistic that any of the three will be open. Hope I'm wrong! It's just been a remarkable snow year.

But I can pretty much guarantee your participation this year will be different from the other years! ;)

·
Registered
903 Posts
Some new updates from the Bush Ducks status page:

Animas Forks Uncompahgre/Ouray 970-240-5300 Open 7/9/19
COMMENTS:
7/9/19 - Animas Forks is clear and beautiful. No snow at all. But, getting there is the problem. You have to come either from Silverton via Cement Creek or 550 via Corkscrew (which is now open all the way).

California Gulch Uncompahgre/Ouray 970-240-5300 Open 7/9/19
COMMENTS:
7/9/19 - The trail is open all the way. There is a TON of snow, and you spend a lot of time driving through 10-20 foot snowbanks on either side of the road. However, further down the gulch there is less snow, and by the time you get to Animas Forks, it is pretty much clear.

California Pass Uncompahgre/Ouray 970-240-5300 Partially Open 6/26/19
COMMENTS:
6/26/19 - The road from Hurricane Pass to California Pass is open. California "easterly" is still closed. Road is open with snow backs from 3' to 15' it is narrow ie passing on coming traffic will require my backing up than normal. Muddy but very passable. Beautiful scenery.

Cinammon Pass Uncompahgre/Ouray
BLM/Gunnison 970-240-5300
970-641-0471 Partially Open 7/5/19
COMMENTS:
7/5/19 - Not open to the top, road blocks are up at the split for American Basin Generally good condition coming up from Lake City. Lots of avalanche slides have been cleared by the county. A little mud and a couple small stream crossings but nothing challenging.

Corkscrew Gulch Uncompahgre/Ouray
970-641-0471 Open 7/9/19
COMMENTS:
7/9/19 - The trail is open all the way from both sides. ALthough there was still a guy on a tractor working the trail, he let us pass, and we made it all the way from Ironton to California Pass, and into Animas Forks. There was a lot of snow, and some significant drifts with the road cut out in the middle. It was way cool!
7/9/19 - Announced as of today officially open all the way through. Per Ouray County Road.

Engineer Pass Uncompahgre/Ouray
970-641-0471 Partially Open 7/5/19
COMMENTS:
7/5/19 - Coming from the Lake City side you can make it to within a half mile or so from the top. Trail is generally clear and in good condition coming up from Lake City. The county is working to get it clear at the top and is within a half mile of the pass.

Hurricane Pass Uncompahgre/Ouray 970-240-5300 Open 9/9/19
COMMENTS:
7/9/19 - Announced today, Hurricane Pass is open all the way through, per Ouray Roads.

Ophir Pass
FR630 Uncompahgre/Ouray 970-327-4835 ?Open? 7/10/19
COMMENTS:
7/10/19 - Ophir Pass will be open for traffic Thursday, June 27, 2019 per county road dept.

Owl Creek Pass Uncompahgre/Ouray
970-641-0471 Partially open 6/25/19
COMMENTS:
6/25/19 - Owl Creek Ridgway side is still closed from Vista point on.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Pulled my Aliner Ranger, which was new to me last fall, up Portland Mine Road to camp in the Meadow. The road was rougher than ever, but no snow. Right on schedule it rained on me just as I got there. There was no one camping anywhere along the road, YET.

If anyone takes a drive up there, it’s a cool but pretty short 4x4 trail real close to town, keep an eye on my rig please. Even though there is nothing in it that should attract a bear I’ve had too many encounters with bears in that same meadow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

241 - 260 of 288 Posts