Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

261 - 280 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I’ve been trying to hunt down this information.

Fortunately I’ll be near Ouray the dates of the Summit, unfortunately I won’t have the time nor means to run the trails.

BUT.... Is there going to be a vender area? And if so, is there a charge to get in there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
There should be a vendor area. I have no idea if there is a fee or deadline for getting a booth location. I'm guessing there probably is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been going through old summit photos, and forum threads/pictures, and starting to get lit up. Missed the summit that last 2 years (last time 2016). Really looking forward to it. I love seeing all the FJ's, and talking to everyone there. My son and I always have a great time. It's amazing. Glad to be part of this group.

·
Registered
61 Posts
2nd time going to the Summit so don't quote me here.... There is a vendor area. There is no charge to browse the vendor area, so anyone can do that.
Hey guys, I’ve been trying to hunt down this information.

Fortunately I’ll be near Ouray the dates of the Summit, unfortunately I won’t have the time nor means to run the trails.

BUT.... Is there going to be a vender area? And if so, is there a charge to get in there?

Thanks!

Sorry was on the wrong track before (selling). Agree with Duke. From what I've seen browsing the vendor area is free.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yankee Boy Basin

Tried to drive up Yankee Boy Basin to reach the Blue Lakes Pass trailhead today, there were 3 parts blocked by snow. One was potentially passable - I saw a Jeep on 37" tires & an FJ Cruiser on 33" or 35"s make it - but the snowed-out sections after were... gnarly. Not something I would attempt myself. Icy snowy climb with running water underneath.

This was approached from Camp Bird Road, past the Imogene Pass "trailhead."

Photos attached:

1. First snowy obstacle on YBB; passable with gumption
  2. 2nd snowy obstacle on YBB; passable with aggressive tires or chains, but probably not by casuals. Dangerous-looking
  3. Looking down from the top of the 2nd snowy obstacle, along the only path with fresh tread marks (right side)
  4. 3rd snowy obstacle - probably straddle-able except the end
  5. 3rd snowy obstacle end

I hiked on foot upwards and eventually veered off towards the Sneffels Creek trail, so I don't know what the rest of YBB is like beyond that.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Trail Revisions

Just checked in at FJ Summit (does it feel emptier this year? I noticed lots of hotels with "vacancy" signs last night, and there was no line for the speedy check-in...), and there was a whiteboard with Trail Revisions posted. Also just got an e-mail about trail modifications, reproduced in part below.

Note that since it's a whiteboard I think they probably expect that the info will change. Don't rely on my dated photo!

A question: Anyone know what's up with the "night runs?" I see Imogene Pass isn't fully open; will the NRs just be up and back like the daytime runs, do you think?

FJ Summit E-Mail said:
With all the snow last winter we are having to make a number of changes to the FJ Summit trails, but we have lots of amazing areas to see.

Here are the routes we'll be running as of now:

Alpine Loop is still the Alpine Loop
Alpine Loop groups will run a slightly modified route: Mineral Creek, Engineer Pass to Lake City for lunch, Cinnamon Pass to Animas Forks and then California Gulch to County Road 110 which ends in Silverton.

Black Bear Pass is now Telluride Side of Imogene and Ophir
Due to a snow closure, Black Bear groups will take paved highway to Telluride. At Telluride, groups will explore the Telluride side of Imogene, have lunch in Telluride, and return to Ouray via Ophir Pass.

California/Corkscrew is now Corkscrew Gulch and California Pass
California/Corkscrew groups will be heading up Corkscrew via Ironton Park. California Pass will bring groups to Animas Forks ghost town. After a break, groups will head to silverton via CR110.

Imogene Pass is now Ouray Side of Imogene and Red Mountain
Imogene Pass groups will head up the Ouray side and turn around where the travel is still closed. After coming down, groups will visit the Red Mountain Mining Area vi US550.

Poughkeepsie Gulch is now Mineral Creek and Engineer Summit
Poughkeepsie is still snowbound so these groups will travel up Mineral Creek to Engineer Pass for a brief stop before stopping in Animas Forks. Groups will take California Pass to Silverton via CR110.

Northern Gulches is now Rimrocker Trail
The Northern Gulches are still snowbound so we are sending these groups on a new trail called Rimrocker. This starts in Montrose and travels west across the Uncompahgre Plateau. Groups will return to Ouray via Highways 145 and 62.

Southern Gulches is still Southern Gulches
The Southern Gulches are open for business although the are not open all the way. Groups will head to Silverton on US550 and explore Arrastra, Maggie, and Minnie Gulches before returning to Ouray on US550.

Stony Pass and Kite Lake is now Stony Pass
Stony Pass is open to Pole Creek so groups can travel to that point before turning around. Cunningham Gulch may also be explored before finishing at Silverton.

Sydney Basin is now Ouray Side of Imogene and Red Mountain
Sydney Basin is still closed so these groups will take the same route as the Imogene groups. That is up the Ouray side of Imogene and turn around where the travel is closed. After coming down, groups will visit the Red Mountain Mining Area.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Re: Trail Revisions

Just checked in at FJ Summit (does it feel emptier this year? I noticed lots of hotels with "vacancy" signs last night, and there was no line for the speedy check-in...), and there was a whiteboard with Trail Revisions posted. Also just got an e-mail about trail modifications, reproduced in part below.

Note that since it's a whiteboard I think they probably expect that the info will change. Don't rely on my dated photo!

A question: Anyone know what's up with the "night runs?" I see Imogene Pass isn't fully open; will the NRs just be up and back like the daytime runs, do you think?
I believe the imogine night run is out and back from the ouray side. Not sure where the meeting point is, the kind folks at the registration said it'd be somewhere around HQ but weren't sure exactly where. Im looking forward to it tonight.

Had a lot of fun on Yankee boy basin today and got some snow wheeling and fj chit chat in. The snow bank in the photo was too unstable looking to attempt.

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
Re: Trail Revisions

I see a Skunk poking its nose out on the RHS of the white board..... glad you all made it to Summit safely
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The bear was in my camp each night. This was left on my rug last night. He did no damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The bear was in my camp each night. This was left on my rug last night. He did no damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live in the mountains and I have bears in the neighborhood . I took my trash out and when I got to the trash cans there was a bear already there opening it for me. We both went in opposite directions at the same time. :) Its cool watching them cruise across the back yard every now and then :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
We had a bear experience on Steamboat early June. Couple of the family members didn't lock up. Got a video of him. Opened up a van and a car and went rummaging. Even opened the glove box on the van. Luckily our Highlander was locked. He came 3 nights in a row and left muddy paws and some fine scratches trying to open the doors.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We took our 3 kids to Telluride last week, so we took the new 7-seater Subaru Ascent instead of the FJ.
Regardless, we were able to rent a couple RAZRs on Saturday and took 10 people over Corkscrew, Hurricane, California and Engineer passes.
We saw tons of Summit FJ drivers and I just wanted you guys to know you were consistently the nicest drivers on the trail.
We'll come and join you some time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I sent a message on FB messenger, but thought I would touch base here too. I have a question regarding raffle prizes and a time frame on when one should hear from the summit team and/or the vendor that is supplying the prize. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
I sent a message on FB messenger, but thought I would touch base here too. I have a question regarding raffle prizes and a time frame on when one should hear from the summit team and/or the vendor that is supplying the prize. Thanks.

Contact the vendor directly if you received a gift certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

261 - 280 of 288 Posts