Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
fka GW193
1,392 Posts
AZFJ,

You shouldn't have any probs-it does have some very tight switchbacks and some tight places (rock wall and dropoff) but unless it's washed out a lot, it wasn't too bad last year.
It won't make her wet her pants though...I don't think (IMHO)

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
2 for 2 on Imogene Pass, you've convinced me. Thanks for the input.

One more question regarding Black Bear Pass. They describe this trail with words like heart-stopping, breath-taking and slightly terrifying. Do they make it sound scarier than it really is, or would 'exciting' be a better description? I'd love to go on this trail but my wife has virtually no off-road experience, especially in mountains. If she's not a thrill-seeker should I avoid taking her on this trail? It would be on the last day so she'd have some experience by that time. I might know the answer after the first 2 days, but your experiences would be helpful. :)
There's no road crumbling beneath your tires or anything. It's just crazy seeing the small itty bitty town called Telluride as you're coming down the tight switchbacks that you sometimes have to do K-turns at. Not a biggy, and any experienced level person can do it :bigthumb:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just registered! :clap:

Can't wait to get back out there with the FJ...
Spent 5 days out there the week before the summit in a rental
J**P and had a blast. Definately want to do Imogene this year.
Chose not to do it last year because of a scare the day
before on another trail. I'll be on it this time for sure.:bigthumb:

Time to get more mods done...

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
105 Posts
:rocker: I just finished registering :rocker:

Can't wait this event is so much fun, not to mention that getting to see old friends, and meet new FJ people rocks.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I have my room booked at the Best Western...I am waiting a few days to get my new Visa Signature Credit Card in to pay for the registration....I want them Hilton Points to get me a free couple nights stay for the family vacation coming later in the year ;)

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
AZFJ,

You shouldn't have any probs-it does have some very tight switchbacks and some tight places (rock wall and dropoff) but unless it's washed out a lot, it wasn't too bad last year.
It won't make her wet her pants though...I don't think (IMHO)
There's no road crumbling beneath your tires or anything. It's just crazy seeing the small itty bitty town called Telluride as you're coming down the tight switchbacks that you sometimes have to do K-turns at. Not a biggy, and any experienced level person can do it :bigthumb:
Gunslinger / Athena,

Thanks for the extra input. I think she could survive and I'm guessing the trail will make it worthwhile even with some uneasy parts. I just didn't want to come up on something that would terrorize her. :scared:

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
I hope I can make it there for the 5th time. But a very strong chance that I'll be in Texas for 3 weeks of school, or covering for another who will be there if I take the June class.

But going to register now, already have a room at Box Canyon Lodge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Registered;
1) Alpine Loop
2) Black Bear Geocaching (Hope I can do it in a stocker)
3) California/Corkscrew

Have reservations at the KOA.

First Summit! First time running trails. Can't Wait. Looking forword to meeting you guys.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Registered;
1) Alpine Loop
2) Black Bear Geocaching (Hope I can do it in a stocker)
3) California/Corkscrew

Have reservations at the KOA.

First Summit! First time running trails. Can't Wait. Looking forword to meeting you guys.
You'll be fine on black bear in a stock rig. Honestly the only thing to worry about on black bear are some of the sharp rocks... they have done a number on a few stock tires. Make sure you have a full size spare!

I'm always stoked for the people coming the first time, make sure to bring an extra memory card, or a computer to offload your photos to!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I will be the first to be sad this year. The wife is preggers and due around that time. (Our 2nd child). Some things in life are more important than wheeling (not TONS of things, but SOME)... It's funny one of the first few things I thought of when I got the news is that I would miss the Summit. It's THAT fun people. It looks like I'm going to fall into the every other year category (missed 2007 & 2009). I'll have to focus on earlier events like cruise Moab. I'm excited for you all.

Now who do I send all this money with to throw in the raffle bucket never to be seen again... I mean donate to the various good causes around Ouray?
I can take your raffle/Donation as I have a very good track record for not winning too as you know. But I think you should go might get Melissa started and besides Grand Junction has some good Hospitals as does Durango and I know a lot of the people that work in them so I can get you sweet room.

·
Registered
15 Posts
4RnrJ,

That's good to hear. I have a 2010 TT with the BFG AT tires and a full spare, so I think I should do fine. Thank you for the help.

You'll be fine on black bear in a stock rig. Honestly the only thing to worry about on black bear are some of the sharp rocks... they have done a number on a few stock tires. Make sure you have a full size spare!

I'm always stoked for the people coming the first time, make sure to bring an extra memory card, or a computer to offload your photos to!

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
I was told at work today to expect the school to be pushed back to September. Yes!!!!

Signed up for trails, but I'm sure I'll end up changing to volunteer for something.

I just started packing, I'm ready to get out of town for a bit.:cheers: Well no cheers... haven't touched a drop in a long time.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hey guys, this is going to be my first Trip to the Summit! I see part of the registration is choosing trails, and I was wondering what you would recommend. I have an 08 TTSE with a 3" Icon lift, stock 265 OffRoad tires, and BudBuilts.
:wave: I did Black Bear with the same FJ, but no lift and had no issues other than I bearly rubbed a couple of rocks, you will be fine on any of the trails you choose.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I just registered but had a problem with Paypal so not real sure if I even paid yet (I will). Trail choices are Thursday - Volunteer, Friday - Poughkeepsie and Saturday - Cali/Corkscrew.

Also wanted to volunteer for leading or whatever but that was not yet open.

Alan

PS resolved my Paypal issue, now good to go (thanks Ty).

·
Registered
832 Posts
I registered and have no idea how to register for trails. I read somewhere here to use the Paypal transaction ID but that didn't work. Also sent an email to you guys regarding this. I'm sure I just missed something. Thanks!

John

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nevvvvermind.

Invoice ID, not Transaction ID...time to register for trails! :)

First summit and am very excited about this. Thanks for all the hard work guys and sorry to bother you with my questions lol

John

21 - 40 of 82 Posts