Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summiteers please answer a few questions or make suggestions related to what is absolutely necessary and what isn't necessary as far as equipment is concerned for the Summit? Please exclude equipment necessary for the extreme portions of the trails that call for experienced drivers and require extensive body armor etc.

Extra (Jerry) fuel cans?
How much fuel is used on the trail runs specifically Alpine Loop?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
No. The longest trip is the Alpine Loop (Ouray to Lake City to Silverton to Ouray) and you will use about 12 gallons, if you run stock tire size. If you are modified, maybe 15 gallons. It is recommended that you top off each night. (Also, fuel can be purchased in Lake City, Silverton, Telluride, and Ridgway).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
??.. what about the necessity of the high-lift jack? Is the stock jack and lug wrench sufficient for a trail flat change?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
??.. what about the necessity of the high-lift jack? Is the stock jack and lug wrench sufficient for a trail flat change?
The stock jack is best for changing a flat tire, as long as you can get it under the A-arm or axle. The Hi-lift is better for recovery situations, i.e. getting off of being high-centered and etc.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
On the jack, I would always recommend bringing a couple pieces of wood to give extra stability to the jack and give a little extra height. I also have a chunk which I cut for use as a wheel chock. Maybe there are plenty of rocks around Ouray but on desert type runs it's handy-dandy.

As for gas cans, extra cans are not necessary for the Summit. HOWEVER, having one along can give you extra flexibility for exploring after one of the scheduled runs . . . or saving someone who "forgot" to gas up the night before and/or were running late for their run . . . or for the ride home when gas station choices can be less than desirable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts