Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, since I'm a total newb to the grill badge, I made the quick assumption that the screws/washers went from the back of the grill with the badge in the front and those screws held the badge against the grill.

Seems the screws are missing about 1/4 of an inch to actually do that though? Am I assuming wrong? Is there something that I would have learned if I went to the Wednesday night summit dinner instead of going to the Outlaw for a big fat juicy steak?

Should I just go get longer screws and do what I think needs to be done?

Thanks

Charles

PS: Thanks to all that spent what I am guessing was more time then most people spend at their day job, putting this event together. My wife, two dogs and I had a spectacular time and enjoyed a whole new adventure making a loop of half the country. Got to do some amazing trails starting in Taos up into Pagosa Springs and then into Ouray. Oh and of course the trails all around Ouray were amazing. And thanks to the Vendors for donating a huge amount of products, and especially Discount Tires (I will put the set of Nitto Tires to good use :) ). My local Discount Tires guys will be a little upset I wont be dropping another $1500 with them in the near future, but after 5 sets of tires in the past 4 years (my wife and I have way to many vehicles!), I am sure they wont miss it that much.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Easy fix chas,you will need some longer 10-32 screws. I sourced them at the Ace Hardware store in Ouray for a whopping .09 cents apiece. Use the supplied larger flat washer and they will work fine.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
As we were waiting to head out for the volunteer trail work event on Friday morning, I did this...

I have lots and lots of zip-ties, and I have used them for lesser-important things. I tried to install it with the equipment provided, but then noticed the screws were too short. So, I got a few ties out and hooked it up.

While at Summit, I did get the longer screws provided by the organizers, but I haven't taken the time to put them into action yet, and this is still holding just fine. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
It sounds like a similar setup to the forum badge.

I swapped out the tiny little nuts and too long of bolts on my forum badge with wing nuts and shorter bolts from Home Depot. The wing nuts help the tightening without removing the bezel for the 10th time. I can also re tighten on the fly without a tiny wrench and baby hands :rocker:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
My bad! We supplied screw sizes based on badges from a previous year, which also were too short! One of our attendees ( Was it you, Potato?) sourced a box of 10-32x3/4s. We had at the sale shirt desk for free, but I forgot to announce they were available.

The correct screw size is 10-32 x 3/4 and available at any hardware store. I recommend buying stainless ones and using locktight.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bad! We supplied screw sizes based on badges from a previous year, which also were too short! One of our attendees ( Was it you, Potato?) sourced a box of 10-32x3/4s. We had at the sale shirt desk for free, but I forgot to announce they were available.

The correct screw size is 10-32 x 3/4 and available at any hardware store. I recommend buying stainless ones and using locktight.
Thanks. Will make a run down to the local ACE and get some screws.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,945 Posts
Because I have the aftermarket grille on mine, i didn't want to try to put the badge on it since it bolts over the original one.

Instead i went to the collision center where i got my FJ fixed and asked them if they could put some of the adhisive stuff they put on actual car badges on it. And they said sure!

I havent cleaned my car since the Summit yet so i havent put it on, but i'm planning on placing it above the TRD Special Edition badge on the back door.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Nice! I'm planning on putting the four I have on the passenger side "empty space." :bigthumb:

·
Registered
99 Posts
The screws provided worked perfectly on my 5th Gen 4Runner!

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Decided to put mine on the rear bumper. I am planning for the future and eventually the grill will be covered. :lol:

Sorry the photo rotated - oops!
cool. nice work. :bigthumb:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts