Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just noticed this in my email, could be an interesting twist to the summit. Especially the running of Black Bear backwards...

Telluride Rotary 4 x 4

Thought I might mention it in case you didn't know :bigthumb:
Well we know, and we found out last week, it is a bit of an issue with us, but we are trying to work it out.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I can't quit you :rofl: is there an RTI ramp contest? tibaal and I have been fighting over last years results all year long:D
Mark from Metal Tech brought it last year, if he brings it again this year, we'll do it. If not, you can just roll up on a car who is foolish enough to park close to the best western.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Well we know, and we found out last week, it is a bit of an issue with us, but we are trying to work it out.
Just out of curiosity, for those of us that don't know....why is it an issue to deal with doing Black Bear backwards (i.e. the direction where it starts in Telluride and ends at Red Mountain Pass on 550)?

I have no idea either way. Not suggesting that there shouldn't be a problem with doing it backwards....I just honestly don't know and am curious.

I've done it the normal way (ending in Telluride), and I liked that way, but I'm not sure what the problem would be doing it the other way.....except maybe it's a bit anticlimactic (which I guess could be enough of a reason to do it the other way).

·
Registered
936 Posts
Just out of curiosity, for those of us that don't know....why is it an issue to deal with doing Black Bear backwards (i.e. the direction where it starts in Telluride and ends at Red Mountain Pass on 550)?

I have no idea either way. Not suggesting that there shouldn't be a problem with doing it backwards....I just honestly don't know and am curious.

I've done it the normal way (ending in Telluride), and I liked that way, but I'm not sure what the problem would be doing it the other way.....except maybe it's a bit anticlimactic (which I guess could be enough of a reason to do it the other way).
The problem is not driving it backwards, but vehicles coming at different directions on the switchbacks, not alot of room for passing especially larger groups of vehicles. Sounds like a giant cluster #[email protected] to me, glad I chose to do BB on thursday!

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
The problem is not driving it backwards, but vehicles coming at different directions on the switchbacks, not alot of room for passing especially larger groups of vehicles. Sounds like a giant cluster #[email protected] to me, glad I chose to do BB on thursday!
I guess I assumed that if this other group has a special event planned during which they're running BB backward, then that would mean the whole trail would be designated 'Backward-Only' for that period of time.

If that is the case, then we'd all be going in the same direction, and I'm not sure why that would be problematic.

Clearly, I understand the problem with going opposite directions. I don't even like doing that on Imogene, let alone Black Bear. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We're sorting it out, and we'll come up with the best solution possible. Starting runs in telluride really isn't an option for us, and their event is the only one who got permission to run it backwards in the first place. It is just an unfortunate slip on the part of the people who hand out permits. We'll give more information today hopefully.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The Rotary Club blocks all downhill traffic while their group is coming up. After they've reached the 'Downhill Only From This Point' sign, downhill traffic resumes. I've done Blackbear backwards with them on several occasions and it's definitely different.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Its definitely not a cluster. Permits were issued to both groups and both groups are speaking to each other to coordinate trail schedules.

We will NOT be passing each other on the switchbacks.

:simmadown: Calm down. :cheers:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I second what's been said -- there's no problem, just a few details to work out. The Telluride Rotary group is a great group, and we'll all adjust so that we can both enjoy the area. Right now we do have a few minor details to work out, but I don't see anything that will create a problem.

We'll be in touch with the people who are on Saturday's Black Bear trails -- those folks should probably expect that their trail times will be juggled around a bit.

Stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I second what's been said -- there's no problem, just a few details to work out. The Telluride Rotary group is a great group, and we'll all adjust so that we can both enjoy the area. Right now we do have a few minor details to work out, but I don't see anything that will create a problem.

We'll be in touch with the people who are on Saturday's Black Bear trails -- those folks should probably expect that their trail times will be juggled around a bit.

Stay tuned!
For and Extra $200 you can just join the other group running the trails. It would also included half a day guided tours on Sunday, 2 free shirts, goodies bag, and 2 BBQ dinners.
That is if you want to run the trails with two different groups at the same time.. :)

-C

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The reverse runs are scheduled for both Saturday and Sunday. I understand the run from Telluride is early (like 6:30 AM) each day and the group will be at the top of Black Bear Pass by 8:30. Then the normal direction (from the Ouray side to Telluride) is opened back up.

The run up hill from Telluride is more dangerous due to the 3-5 point turns that required backing down instead of backing up.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Just an update on the Telluride backwards run. Due to great diplomatic efforts by Ty, cooperative efforts from both groups resulted in no problems, fist fights, ledge drops or collisions. Just some friendly passing enthusiastic hellos and an opportunity to see some really b1tchin Jeeps! That Telluride money spends!

If the times overlap next year, we may be able to schedule some fun stuff together.

( did I say next year?????)

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
I would like to compliment the organizers on getting the raffle started and finished earlier than last year. I'm sure it made it easier (or at least gave the option) to get up early for the photo on Main St.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts