Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where is our beloved FJ Summit? Last year at this time there were hundreds of people, Its 6:45 Friday evening and it appears most people have retired to their hotel rooms, tents and condo’s. The pics speak for themselves. It’s just not the same this year. Not at all like in years past.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
WTH, I know they're all in their rooms getting their costumes on for the party at 7pm. There were people by the tents at ALL times last year. Sure you didn't PS out all the people?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Where is our beloved FJ Summit? Last year at this time there were hundreds of people, Its 6:45 Friday evening and it appears most people have retired to their hotel rooms, tents and condo’s. The pics speak for themselves. It’s just not the same this year. Not at all like in years past.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/woodworks_az/Stan_20090717_1522.jpg

I think everyone was at the Saloon. I showed up at 7pm and stood in line for 20 minutes to get my complimentary MetalTech glasses filled with Mojitos. The place was packed.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Yeah dude, you were the only one there for a reason. We announced like 15 times that friday night was supposed to be a night on the town starting with Metal Tech's party at the Western. Last year it was packed every night b/c we served dinner every night. Don't worry, tonight will be packed for the raffle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then answer this Jared, Why was it nearly the same the night before? No downtown party then! People just came for the food and then split. Besides, what about the venders that paid GOOD money to sponsor the summet. No one around to look at or buy there products!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
PARTY HARTY!:alfdance::bdaysmile:seems to be the mantra around here!
I think that's what was going on when your pic's were taken. Also SOME trail runs were running late, THEN there was a wedding (congrats Trail bus and Busty 1)at Bridal Vail falls. I'm sure that there was a BIG party near Teluride after that. So, as you can see, lot,s going on around here.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Ditto. Last year there were people at the Best Western during the day. Not so this year. The feel is different, there doesn’t seem to be the comradery as in past years. The economy kept some people away from the Summit this year. Actives at the bar last evening would explain why there were few people here at the Best Western. That being said, the first night of the Summit there were few people and by 8:00 PM the Vendors were packing up there goods. Just an observation.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Well this year is definitely different, but there is good reason for it. Last year there were activities planned for the best western even after dinner. One night had the Metal Tech beer party at the hotel, one night had the all-pro car wash, and the other night had the raffle. This year activities are happening downtown which is spreading people out a bit. It does give a feel that the best western is empty, and I certainly hope the sponsors still feel like they are getting their money's worth. I do think though that just as many people are hitting the tents, they are just not doing it all at the same time like last year. Tonight will be big though, the carwash is happening tonight, the demo's are happening tonight, and of course the raffle is happening tonight.

You do make a good point that the crowd is a bit different than last year. Here's why: last year most people (I think 80%) were returners from the first year. This year, most people (60%) are first timers. Those first timers are just doing things a bit different than last year that's all.

Lastly, you and I can make what we want out of it... come to the tents tonight, talk to sponsors, talk to other FJers and you can contribute to helping the tent scene be more lively.

Thanks again for everyone who came btw. Although I have a 4Runner, you guys really are the best, and I feel so welcomed by everyone with the fun jabs and fun trail runs!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
hey Jared! sorta bummed i couldn't make it this year, but i agree it seems like a lot of other activities are going on offsite.

btw, can you ping Seth for me? i sent him an email and PM regarding the prize drawing, but have not heard from him. just want to make sure he got it so he knows what he is giving away tonight. :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
View attachment 31822 Well, one less person is there in Ouray this year. I'm currently in the middle east for the Air Force carrying out a job thats needed to be done. My Wife Pamela is there though at the Summit and enjoyed the trails today. Just got off the phone with her and T2Cruiser(Tim) and was informed that the dinner was great and the party was in full force; with the drawing soon to start. Wish I could be there, but she is instead in spirit for us both. Enclosed a picture(one to the right) of me celebrating with a cigar in spirit of your freedom to pursue your dreams and new travels such as seeing the beautiful vistas of Colorado. Take care and may your trips back home with new memories be safe tomorrow be safe. Dave Aka blackicecruiser :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
we did the metal tech party last night....and did something every night...plus ran trails for 7-9 hours every day.

Sorry you were looking for friends.... :D :D

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
It's not simply the economy.

Some of it has to do with the venue - third year in the same place.

Don't get me wrong, Ouray is a spectacular place to drive and it's a great city. But there are a number of us (including almost all of the moderators) who decided not to go because we'd been there and done that - and decided that it would be more fun to get together as a group and do a run none of us did before instead.

As nice as Ouray was last year, I had a LOT more fun with half a dozen guys/gals in rigs on the Kokopelli Trail immediately following the Summit.

Maybe it's time to consider a change of venue? Or not.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts