Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
But I guess greed takes over! And the organizers bowed down to their greed!
As one of the volunteers, I will tell you than greed had nothing to do with the "night on the town" that was planned. A few things came went into the decision. Last year two vendors sponsored meals at the Best Western. That, coinciding with the registration fees payed for enough meals to cover all days. This year, catering that fourth day would have been too much and no vendor asked to sponsor one this year.

Second, we had suggestions from many attendees last year to have a "night out" thing this year. People were going out sporadically last year, and wanted it to be more focused so they could hang out and see more of their fellow FJers downtown. The main organizers thought it would be a good idea to do the "night out" for that very reason. In hindsight I think it worked well. Some shops stayed open later, which is good for them, and people got to socialized with a lot more people on that night.

I didn't speak to every vendor, but I spoke to a couple who said this was their best year as far as business goes, so I hope that was true for all of them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Okay, I'll get this out there. The moderation / administration team messed up on this one.

A lot of the time we have too much on our plate and we make some bad assumptions. Videomaker being banned was one of these cases. I would like all of you to know that we apologize for the mistake and hopefully the thread can go back to normal. I have cleaned up anything regarding false accusations towards Videomaker, and once again apologize for the mistake. Opinions are welcomed on this forum and this post certainly does nothing against the rules. You can have whatever opinion you want on this forum. The banning was only because of a really bad assumption being taken too far.

In the future, we will try to ignore all accusations and investigate further before taking such a harsh action like banning.

So once again, sorry from the mod/admin team.

-Jared
Jared thank you for being a stand up guy, no doubt all you guys have been very busy lately and I for one appriecate all that you did to make the summit a huge sucess.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
There was an injustice done here, but it was corrected with a public apology from 4RnrJ. You can’t ask for more than that! I applaud the timely action and apology.

Thank you 4RnrJ for doing the right thing!

Relic Hunter

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I too agree that this year's vibe was better than last year. I felt a bit out of place last year but this year the group seemed more personal.
Agreed, and I will second Woodsman's comment that as time goes on, more and more of us know each other better, or at all. I came the first year knowing NOBODY at all, and feeling VERY out of place. These days, I feel like the BW is my vacation home and is populated by my extended family for a week every year, and the folks who live in Ouray are distant cousins who are nice to see periodically.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I didn't speak to every vendor, but I spoke to a couple who said this was their best year as far as business goes, so I hope that was true for all of them.
Excellent. I can tell you that even in hard economic times, I made sure to save, since this has become my main vacation event of the summer, whereas in the past I had a different (ok, VERY different) one in addition.

So this year I've already made one large, one medium, and one small sized purchase, and am waiting for an IRS refund to make two more large and one small additional purchases, all from different vendors. And I'm making sure they all know it was because they were at the summit.

There's nothing like looking someone in the eye and talking to them about what they make, and how, and why, and seeing how they are. KNOWING the person who physically made the thing you just bought counts for a lot, and having someone who is accessible directly and offers information openly and willingly, face-to-face tells me a lot about who I'm dealing with.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Interesting and great comments.:habbobuggs:

As a team, the CoDirectors make decisions that sometimes improve one thing and impact another. The "night on the town concept" was decided upon based on 2008 inputs from Ouray. The positive outcome was that we have received many good comments from the locals Even the one local supplier who lost money, due to the lack of a meal, The Best Western, approved of our action and the impact on the town. :wave: I should note we added the Cookout ( dogs burgers and brats) on Wednesday night and still provided three meals. This was the biggest Wednesday ever! :clap:

Though I appreciate your concern about our sponsors, so far we have had terrific response from them. The exhibitors at the FJSummit had plenty of time to meet and participate in events, I visited each several times ( and I was pretty busy most of the time.) Unless you just didn't get up and walk around, you probably stopped by every booth. I did.:simmadown:

You mention the expense, and yes we appreciate the expense sponsors go through. We don't charge for booth space ( thanks to the Best Western) , provide advertising on web, signage as well as driver's kits, and good support over the Summit days. much of the vendor expense is paid with products, not cash. Additionally, to improve for future events, we are setting up a post event sponsor round table forum to discuss the event, solicit direct ideas and comments and suggestions for next time.:thinkerg:

Mark (Metal Tech) did a fabulous job arranging a party in town on very short notice. There were hundreds of people there. Awesome idea Mark! And he unselfishly supported a good cause ( Tellico) and even made fellow sponsors feel welcome. :bigthumb:

Following Metal Tech's event I personally had a great dinner with family, some sponsors and friends at one of Ouray's fine restaurants (which I had missed both previous years). We ended up having a drink at one of the late night joints with many other FJers.:jester:

I think the "night on the town" was a success but agree improvements will be needed next year. I expect many sponsors could follow Metal Tech's lead and have other events in town. Maybe we could schedule these so we would have a bit of a "Pub Crawl" or a rotating dinner event next time.:cheers:

Videomaker, if you think we are motivated by greed, I assure you, you are wrong. BTW were you registered for the FJSummit? I would like to email you and discuss this but I can't find your name on our list of registrants.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
View attachment 31822 Well, one less person is there in Ouray this year. I'm currently in the middle east for the Air Force carrying out a job thats needed to be done. My Wife Pamela is there though at the Summit and enjoyed the trails today. Just got off the phone with her and T2Cruiser(Tim) and was informed that the dinner was great and the party was in full force; with the drawing soon to start. Wish I could be there, but she is instead in spirit for us both. Enclosed a picture(one to the right) of me celebrating with a cigar in spirit of your freedom to pursue your dreams and new travels such as seeing the beautiful vistas of Colorado. Take care and may your trips back home with new memories be safe tomorrow be safe. Dave Aka blackicecruiser :cheers:
Dave:

Your thoughtful wife, Pamela, handed me the phone and it was a real privilege to speak to you. It really was a special moment amid my chaotic day. Thanks for your service and thanks for thinking of us whilst doing more important things! Be safe I hope to wheel with ya next year!:cheers:

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
T2, I thought it was great overall. :clap:

PS, I'm PM'ing one suggestion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ditto Tim :bigthumb: Wished I could be there for the added event's...Sounds like it went well for you all by the current posts. I give cuddo's for stretching out on the limb to try something new, especially given the current financial status of the world and those that felt it important to spend their hard earned money to be there in Ouray for the summit. To be with others who have a great passion to see the wonderful outdoors as a first priority and of coarse party'ing as a second. Being over here in the desert reminds me how lucky we are in the US to have these freedoms and blessings of a wonderful nation. Full of beautiful places to visit freely or move to live out our pursuit for happiness. Take care all. Dave. :rocker:

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I liked the idea of "night on the town". There are many great places to eat in Ouray and it helped us stay in good standings with the locals. Also to have had a third dinner at the BW just may have meant that the registration cost may have been a bit more, or a bit less swag for us from the organizers.

I'm all for doing it again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks DAGORED, GJ started a new TCLA club " Bookcliff cruisers" created with the help a well known Trail teams guide....Cris Nelson. Check the site out and looking forward to meeting you when I get home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh crap, I met that guy at Black Canyon on Sunday morning.....he was asking about the FJs in town and such and then mentioned he was doing a run on Ophir and all the FJs moved over on trail as far as possible to let them by except the last one or something like that....so he purposely let his hand guard go down the side of the vehicle all the way. I told him he was as much an ass as what he was accusing the other person of doing and he had no right to do that....I went to take pics but noticed he was hanging around my FJ...so wife went back and watched it while I shot pics.
He is from Illinois he said and is doing some trans america ride with a group..... I meant to get his license plate but he was gone by time I thought about it...just in case someone mentioned some damage. Sorry buddy...
Well at least you had a chance to call him an Ass*** for me in person BROCK:clap: What that so called pro rider fails to remember is that he was at sometime new to the sport and had to learn the ropes. Pamela braved going out to area to do that same while over coming her fears of being able to do the trail with out me. A couple of weeks prior she went on group trip up the Grand Mesa and was shown the ropes by Hugh "Owner of Safari-LTd" and other well known trail guides. They all felt she was ready for Ophir and to take her time; as she did to the dislikes of the ***hole from Illinois. She really felt there was no room to pass and moved slowly through a narrow part of the trail; elaborating all the details. The end result of possibly never wanting to drive again. Thats a prowd memory for him to brag about.:thinkerg:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Well at least you had a chance to call him an Ass*** for me in person BROCK:clap: What that so called pro rider fails to remember is that he was at sometime new to the sport and had to learn the ropes. Pamela braved going out to area to do that same while over coming her fears of being able to do the trail with out me. A couple of weeks prior she went on group trip up the Grand Mesa and was shown the ropes by Hugh "Owner of Safari-LTd" and other well known trail guides. They all felt she was ready for Ophir and to take her time; as she did to the dislikes of the ***hole from Illinois. She really felt there was no room to pass and moved slowly through a narrow part of the trail; elaborating all the details. The end result of possibly never wanting to drive again. Thats a prowd memory for him to brag about.:thinkerg:
wish I could have done more...like scrape my size 13 boot down his back side....but I was not thinking straight that morning...I only wanted to take pictures as I was on my way home. At least I was able to tell him there were assholes in every group and he proved there are those in the Dual SPort crowd....LOL

wish he would have peed on my truck as it was filthy....LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Interesting and great comments.:habbobuggs:

As a team, the CoDirectors make decisions that sometimes improve one thing and impact another. The "night on the town concept" was decided upon based on 2008 inputs from Ouray. The positive outcome was that we have received many good comments from the locals Even the one local supplier who lost money, due to the lack of a meal, The Best Western, approved of our action and the impact on the town. :wave: I should note we added the Cookout ( dogs burgers and brats) on Wednesday night and still provided three meals. This was the biggest Wednesday ever! :clap:

Though I appreciate your concern about our sponsors, so far we have had terrific response from them. The exhibitors at the FJSummit had plenty of time to meet and participate in events, I visited each several times ( and I was pretty busy most of the time.) Unless you just didn't get up and walk around, you probably stopped by every booth. I did.:simmadown:

You mention the expense, and yes we appreciate the expense sponsors go through. We don't charge for booth space ( thanks to the Best Western) , provide advertising on web, signage as well as driver's kits, and good support over the Summit days. much of the vendor expense is paid with products, not cash. Additionally, to improve for future events, we are setting up a post event sponsor round table forum to discuss the event, solicit direct ideas and comments and suggestions for next time.:thinkerg:

Mark (Metal Tech) did a fabulous job arranging a party in town on very short notice. There were hundreds of people there. Awesome idea Mark! And he unselfishly supported a good cause ( Tellico) and even made fellow sponsors feel welcome. :bigthumb:

Following Metal Tech's event I personally had a great dinner with family, some sponsors and friends at one of Ouray's fine restaurants (which I had missed both previous years). We ended up having a drink at one of the late night joints with many other FJers.:jester:

I think the "night on the town" was a success but agree improvements will be needed next year. I expect many sponsors could follow Metal Tech's lead and have other events in town. Maybe we could schedule these so we would have a bit of a "Pub Crawl" or a rotating dinner event next time.:cheers:

Videomaker, if you think we are motivated by greed, I assure you, you are wrong. BTW were you registered for the FJSummit? I would like to email you and discuss this but I can't find your name on our list of registrants.

t2cruiser,

Now were getting somewhere! I appreciate your response. I attend the summit every year, and no I am not a vender at the FJ Summit. I do however attend as a rider rather than a driver. As for the summit, change can be perceived as good or bad depending on one’s perspective. Many people posted that they thought it was the best Summit ever. I do realize that it takes a lot of work for the organizers to put this thing on. There are so many things to consider. Most people have little knowledge of what it takes to make the FJ Summit happen.

This thread was not started because of the "night out in Ouray", it was started because in the evening hours on Wednesday and Thursday there were few attendees at the tent. Most of the people there were vendors. People responding to this thread have focused on the “night out” so I will as well. Whether you know it or not, there was chatter around the Summit as to why there was the “night out in Ouray”. The chatter was that businesses in town complained quite LOUDLY about not getting enough business from the people attending the Summit. Therefor the decision was made to extend the event to the town (In my observation, that left the paying venders out). It was as if the squeaky wheel gets the grease scenario. It seemed a bit unfair to the vendors when the town businesses had no money invested in the summit. Not being part of the planing process, I have no idea what was discussed, decided on, or why. So I have a different perspective of things. Because I was not part of the staff, I believe I got a different response from some of the vendors. Did they have a good time? Yes, absolutely they did and said so. The fact that they had a good time has nothing to do with their concern about exposure, especially in retrospect to 2007, 2008 summits. Some vendors were vocal, some not. Some were hesitant to respond negatively although you could hear it in their voice and see it in their mannerism. As you stated, some were very happy, but I also know that some were not.

I had an interesting conversation with one of the gentleman from the Rescue group at Ouray the night everyone was out on the town. He was there to be a part of the activities, but no one showed up! He came from home with his wife and kids. He set up their display and was hoping to sell t-shirts, hats and other stuff. So it's funny how things appear depending on which side of the fence you’re on! Maybe now you can see why I was starting to wonder what the organizers were thinking. Not being on the inner circle of the decisions and organizing, one might think that this MAY have been overlooked. Not necessarily disregarded.

I had a great time and I believe that most in attendance did too. That is a great accomplishment for the FJ Summit team! Yes, I really did enjoy my time there! As a result of spending some time there in Ouray, I plan to go back there with my family on my own spending MORE money in their community. I really don't think that they have a lot to complain about. With all due respect, the community should be thankful to have events like the FJ Summit held there. To hear that they were unhappy about not collecting "their share of the loot" I feel was a little greedy on their behalf. Like I said before, with all due respect, THE COMMUNITY SHOULD BE THANKFUL TO HAVE EVENTS LIKE THE FJ SUMMIT HELD THERE! I also feel that there was a bad apple or apples in the bucket that caused this greed, not the community as a whole.

This post was started in part to get the organizers to look at something that MAY NOT have been considered. Without constructive discussions things cannot be improved upon. I felt that this thread would do just that. The more people that discusse this issue, the better. I thought the organizers would understand what changes might need to be made. I sincerely hope that the organizers of this event understand my intent. Unfortunately some of the readers on this forum appear to be a bit less insightful than yourself, hence the problem with this thread. I never intended for this to get out of hand. Sadly, accusations were made against me which resulted in my being banned form the forum! That has been resolved. Due to the error I was given an apology and a lifetime membership on the forum, and I don’t even have an FJ! I have a 4Runner.

I apologize for the bad vibe that has occurred here. All in all I do believe that something good will come out of this. One of Jared’s responses was helpful and yours certainly was insightful. I really appreciate your response but a little sad that it took so long. The round table discussion forum is a fantastic idea. Something many people would not know about if not for this discussion. The round table could be nightmare for your team so good luck with that! In closing, if you still want to PM me for farther discussion, I would be more than happy to do that.

Videomaker

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Great response and good comments. We DO have to balance the needs of attendees, sponsors and local business. I believe this year came closer than ever to that balance. But the scales may tip a little in one or another direction at times. Believe me, past years have told me that the Sponsors have no problem voicing their complaints :)

I have read the comments here and somehow missed the drama ( I sincerely hope I didn't cause it) due to traveling, paying attention to my family and business. I think this is quite productive thread and read it with interest.

Sounds like my personal goal, introducing families to Colorado, worked for you. Cheers to that! :cheers:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thanks DAGORED, GJ started a new TCLA club " Bookcliff cruisers" created with the help a well known Trail teams guide....Cris Nelson. Check the site out and looking forward to meeting you when I get home.
:cheers: Your welcome, I actually have been trying to join the Bookcliff Cruiser but have had no response from them, It will happen sooner or later hopefully, Please be safe over there. Doug

61 - 80 of 112 Posts